CA Glue

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
just bob

CA Glue

Post by just bob »

I like to use the Stick Fast CA glue. That is what works best for me. Seems like I always have the same problem. The tip clogs up and I have to stick a pin or nail down in it and try to open it. In time the tip breaks up and the cap won't go back on. There may be 1/2 bottle of glue, but the tip is shot. I emailed the company and asked them if they sold replacement caps. Here is what they said:

Most of our distributors carry replacement caps or we also have our Change A Tip system that has two adapter caps, 8 bayonet lock on tips, and 2 storage caps.

Didn't know this and checked with where I order from and sure enough they have the caps. The same person that sent me this information sent me another email a short time later and told me this:

By the way…
In the mean time you could put some wrap over the top – or if you have an old jar – put the whole bottle into the jar and put a lid on top.

I normally store my CA that way – in a Jar with a bag of desiccant (that do not eat dying stuff – which you can dry in a microwave and reuse it.. be a little careful, the desiccant gets hot in the microwave) . Some people do not even put the over cap back on when in a jar.

Best Storage: Cool, dry, out of direct sunlight.

Just thought I would share this in case others were having the same problem. I am going to go get some caps.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Re: CA Glue

Post by just bob »

Here are the caps they sell in case anyone else is looking.

http://woodturningz.com/CA-Glue-ChangeATip-Package

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It appears the caps are made to fit that brand, correct?

I have great luck with Zap products and they are available in 1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., 1 oz., sizes up to 4 oz. I believe.
I did order the large bottle 4 oz. bottle years ago and lost about half of it. I started buying 1/2 oz. & 1/4 oz. bottles of both the pink (thin) hand the green (medium) glues.
I have not had the problems with them drying up on my since I use them nearly every day. Even then a 1/2 oz. bottle lasts for 4 to 6 months and no waste!

Zap also sells extra tips for their CA glues. The micro tips are outstanding!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
just bob

Post by just bob »

It appears the caps are made to fit that brand, correct?

Yes Dale they are for the Stick Fast brand and I assume that is all they will work on? I discovered this brand because I can buy it locally and not have to pay the S&H. That same tip replacement kit that they sell for $3.99 is $9.99 on Ebay with "free shipping" Makes you think - doesn't it?

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

When the build up of CA near the tip gets too bad to use the cap, I cut off the bad part and store the rest standing upright with a large straight pin in the hole. This usually lets me use the rest of the bottle without any prooblems.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”