Spanish notch?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
313 Mike

Spanish notch?

Post by 313 Mike »

Hoping to get some comments or theories as to what the notch on the base of some fixed blades is actually for. So far I have heard it referred to as the "Spanish Notch", and have read differing opinions that it is to catch an opponents blade in a knife fight, that it is used to strip sinew from an animal, and that it is somehow used in rope work or in working with nets. Also read that it is there to relieve stress on the blade, or to act as a guide to indicate at what point the sharpening of the blade should begin. Also heard that they serve no purpose at all, but are mainly just decorative. From what I have seen they are mainly found on old Bowies and Kukris, but I have this well built Colorado Cutlery Scout that has the notch, and I can't imagine why it is there. It doesn't make sense as a "decoration" as it is a heavy duty user knife, it's not a fighter but a hunter, so maybe for the supposed stripping of the sinew? I can't even visualize how that would work though. Thoughts?
Attachments
20150629_111913.jpg
20150629_111933.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Spanish notch?

Post by btrwtr »

Mike,

Just my opinion but I think it may have started as a decorative effect. I know it is seen on early Samuel Bell Bowie knives.

Whenever I make a knife whether folding or fixed blade I always incorporate a notch of some type between the tang and the cutting edge. I think it is important to have a divider that separates the cutting edge from the tang. It makes it easier to sharpen the knife and you have a start and stop point for sharpening. I don't consider this a Spanish notch as such but rather a choil.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Probably not the reason for the notch under discussion, but looking at the OP's fixed blade knife, I'm not so sure that one wasn't a way to stop a crack from progressing across the width of the blade, as I know that is a way to repair that problem.

That doesn't look like any "Spanish Notch" I've ever seen.

The Kukri my Dad brought home from India after WWII has one, so I guess that one isn't Spanish.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for your input Wayne and Charlie, I appreciate your comments! Interesting theory about a crack Charlie, I have however seen other examples of this same knife with the same notch in the same place...
Mike

RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

There you go, then. ::tu::
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Taken from a post on the subject by "SharpByCoop" on BladeForum.
Attachments
Spanish Notch - SharpByCoop - Blade Forum.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Well dang, Jerry....that's a whole heckuva lot of notches! Most all of those would certainly fall under the decorative category in my mind. I still feel like the one on my posted knife was put there with some sort of a utilitarian purpose in mind though...it's definitely not an art knife, but rather a heavy duty hunting knife..
Mike

ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I agree with Wayne, the notch makes it easier to sharpen.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Following up to what Charlie posted on the drilled hole being a common correction to a crack in metal or wood, it is true. Cracks in cast iron boilers are repaired by drilling and plugging at the crack tip. Stops the crack from propagating. The transition in metal thickness on the tang to the blade grind is also a stress riser, meaning that any misuse of the knife that would apply strain in that area of the knife will cause it to fail there, usually by cracking first. Maybe why Case went to the new grind back in the 80's. They didn't stick with it though, obviously.
steve99f
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

----------------
Attachments
IMG_2172_0002.jpg
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

There seems to be many interpretations on that notch. Not much to add on my end. Except that Iread somewhere that the notch on the Kukri is to keep blood from running down the blade and onto the user's hands.

Randy
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Definitely many different versions of the notch out there, and many different thoughts on the purpose! I guess there is no one definitive answer, each maker likely has his own intention in mind when he makes the knife, and we are left to draw our own conclusions. I surely do appreciate everyone's input!
Mike

TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

I think they are designed to catch the edge of a blade and help control an opponents weapon. I haven’t seen many that look good but when they do they look incredible.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I would agree that it does aid in sharpening. As to the Spanish notch being used to snag an opponent's blade, I suppose it would be possible, but more likely it was strictly decorative.
Supposedly the notch on a khukri has a function. According to legend, when it is removed from the sheath it must draw blood; preferably the enemy's. If this does not happen, the owner must draw his own by running the notch across his wrist in a rocking motion. Only then can the blade be sheathed.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”