Off center sheild stamp

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
wornoutwrench

Off center sheild stamp

Post by wornoutwrench »

Saw this the other day. I don't recall ever seeing one this bad. Its sad that they went ahead with it and let it out.
Anyone else seen this?
Attachments
$_57OGLH8IRZ.jpg
Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

Not all who disagree with wise men are fools.
timgreene48

Re: Off center sheild stamp

Post by timgreene48 »

Some of my 1970 stag knives have unlevel or uneven shields, but I believe it is because of the contours of the stag, and in my opinion, is acceptable. But that is just sad... Thanks for showing it.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks legit but sloppy. ::doh:: That's Delrin?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That's a delrin shield. Obviously mis-stamped. Only one like that I've ever seen. Whoever assembled it should have caught it, hafter should have caught it, final inspect should have caught it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Yes, sloppy and unfortunate but personally would not consider it "sad'. Just my opinion. Many years and eras away, but consider Pre-TESTED knives stamps. Not perfect on stamp but overall quality will surpass any new CASE knives with perfect stamps.

That said, the knife in question was discontinued in same year it was made. Good shape with some spine specks as I can see. Who knows how many were made. I personally would like it with a dead on shield but would not pass up on it based on that.

CASE made ~1700 Small Stamp Cheetahs 5111-1/2LSSP in 1971'. Never made again besides the rebirth of 90 different handle materials with the Cheetah etch years later. These knives are "True Cheetahs". Many of these knives had a "double tap" on the stamp. This is a one year run and only 1700 made. Is a collector going to pass up a double tap based on that? Not talking about new CASE limited runs, in 1971' , limited runs was not a normal/usual thing. Not me if the stag is fine.

To each his own.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”