Customized Helle Puukko

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Customized Helle Puukko

Post by orvet »

A year or two ago I picked up a Norwegian made Helle Puukko knife blank at the OKCA show. I really like the style of the blade and it is laminated carbon steel. It would make an awesome bird and trout knife.

I have never made a Puukko before, and I think I only have two or three in my collection, so it’s not a knife I’m really very familiar with. I started doing some research on the web looking at custom Puukkos to see how I wanted to build this knife.

Since I really didn’t have the materials to build a ferrule over the end of the handle I used a piece of .040” brass and did not drop it down into a guard as most puukkos I have seen do not have a guard. Moving up the handle the next ring is horsehide, followed by a piece of oosik about 1-1/4” in length. The rings in the middle are leather, brass, white spacer, red spacer, black spacer, red spacer, white spacer, brass then leather. The rest of the handle is a piece of deer stag with the crown polished on the end in my logo in set into the crown.

Getting a good fit around the tang on the first piece of brass was the most challenging part, and next came the drilling and fitting of the final piece of stag.

This is only the second or third hidden tang knife I have built. I don’t do them very often so each one is a learning experience and this one was kind of fun. However the most challenging part of this build was not the knife but building a sheath to fit it.
Custom Puukko a.jpg
Custom Puukko c.jpg
Custom Puukko d.jpg
Custom Puukko f.jpg
I used tanned leather for the sheath, which I shrink around the knife and then hand stitched the sheath together. I had to find two or three tutorials on building a Puukko sheath to find one but I like that looked like it would work with this particular knife. It only took me two tries on the sheath and two tries on the strap get them right. I am not at all and accomplish leather worker, in fact this is only about the fifth or sixth sheath I have made. I was pleased with the stitching on the sheath and the fit of the knife into the sheath. The leather is very tight around the handle and the knife is very secure, which is a necessity since there is no strap securing the handle to the sheath. I used the strap type belt hanger for the sheath, the design for which was taken from a Puukko sheath tutorial on the British blades forum.
Custom Puukko 1.jpg
Custom Puukko 2.jpg
Custom Puukko 3.jpg
I did take a few pictures of the sheath making process and can post them if anyone is interested. I did not take step-by-step pictures while making the sheath as I was too busy trying to figure out the process myself. I dyed and finished the leather myself.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Customized Helle Puukko

Post by glennbad »

Dang, buddy! You have been churning out some winners recently. ::tu::

That sure is a beauty, I can see the level of detail you put into it.

Superb! ::ds::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Awesome! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Absolutely amazing! That's one anyone would be proud to own. Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Beautiful! ::drool::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice work! Those Helle blades are noted for their edges so that should be a real work horse. Love the stag. ::tu::

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”