Utica Knife with Patent Number

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
bkazz5

Utica Knife with Patent Number

Post by bkazz5 »

Stumbled upon this knife at a flea market. The only stamp on it is:

Patent No.
U.S.A.

In doing a patent search, here's a portion of what I found. Is it unusual that a knife would only have a patent # stamp and not the company name? In order to get a patent did the inventor need to provide a sample?

Patented Oct. 6, 1942 BOLSTERED HANDLED CUTLERY Albert Edward Allen, Yorkville, N. Y., assignor to Utica Cutler Company, Utica, N. Y., a corporation of New York Application October 9, 1940, Serial No. 360,472

17 Claims.

My present invention relates to bolstered handled cutlery, including pocket-knives, hunting knives, daggers, kitchen knives, fish knives and the like.

The purpose of this invention is to provide a new, improved, more economical and more durable pocket-knife or other bolstered handled article of cutlery which construction involves the making of face plates of cheaper and stronger material, but of material that is capable of being shaped, as by molding, to the precise shape and form for the face plates of the knife, and which material is of such character that the connecting and pivoting rivets can be projected through the premade holes in the extended ends and even, where required, through the intermediate portion of the face plates and riveted over against or into the face plates without breaking splitting or distorting the face plates.
Attachments
IMAG0673.jpg
IMAG0674.jpg
IMAG0675.jpg
knife7knut

Re: Utica Knife with Patent Number

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting. Can you provide a picture of the bolster from wither a top or bottom view? Is the bolater made as one piece with the liner? I'm curious because I have a picture handled Thornton knife that employs such a system.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Interesting.

Robeson made such knives and had a patent for the process way before 1940.

Wonder what he did differently to obtain a patent?

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
138433B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

I'll post some better pics and try to download the patent documents and post them as well. I'll get them posted tomorrow a.m.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

On the OP Utica knife:

The patent is for the handle/bolster attachment.

The bolsters are thin metal and slide off the handles. Take the knife hold the body and the bolster will pull away, don`t worry it will slide right back on. I have several of these.

Basically an inexpensive way to assemble a knife with unskilled labor.

The Robeson is a different patent.
AAPK Janitor
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Here's a couple more pics. I do not believe the knife has much monetary value but it is an interesting piece of history.
Attachments
IMAG0686.jpg
IMAG0685.jpg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”