P.W. Ostwald Pocket Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

P.W. Ostwald Pocket Knife

Post by just bob »

Just saw this on Craig's List. If true, very interesting how they made their knives. Maybe a forerunner of Myrtlefaye ?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/clt/4910271845.html
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: P.W. Ostwald Pocket Knife

Post by knifeaholic »

I would buy those if I were you. PW Ostwald is fairly well known in knife collecting circles, they hand forged blades and made hand made pocket knives for use on a ranch in Oregon. The knives and blades are very collectible. You may find some past threads about them here on AAPK.

Attached pic is one of their knives that I owned.
Attachments
DSCN6285.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ostwald was not a faker, creating knives with vintage tang stampings to deceive collectors, he was a maker of fine quality, serviceable, stock knives for daily use.

He just didn't think anybody else was offering that in their manufactured knives.

Time, history and an appreciation of his work has now rendered his creations as collectible.

I seriously doubt that MyrtleFaye's creations will ever be collectible as "historic fakes".

Comparing Ostwald to the crooked jerk MyrtleFaye is demeaning.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Over the years someone has been selling a large quantity of left over parts, mostly blades from various old manufacturers and blades marked Ostwald on e-bay. The way that ad on Craigslist is written is very similar to the way the e-bay ads were written either it is the same guy or he swiped the description from the internet. I think it may be the same person.

There are only a certain number of collectors who are going to buy loose blades so he is probably using this outlet to get rid of them. There were a lot of business cards, letterheads and even old cutlery boxes being sold from this hoard. I have not kept up with what is being sold lately ::shrug::
AAPK Janitor
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Over the years someone has been selling a large quantity of left over parts, mostly blades from various old manufacturers and blades marked Ostwald on e-bay. The way that ad on Craigslist is written is very similar to the way the e-bay ads were written either it is the same guy or he swiped the description from the internet. I think it may be the same person.

There are only a certain number of collectors who are going to buy loose blades so he is probably using this outlet to get rid of them. There were a lot of business cards, letterheads and even old cutlery boxes being sold from this hoard. I have not kept up with what is being sold lately ::shrug::
Dimitri;

Do you think those blades are fake? They look pretty good to me but hard to tell.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Steve,

If you mean the blades on Craigslist, it`s hard to see from the fuzzy pictures, but they probably are legit.

The blades from e-bay that were taken out of old knives they put their blades into were definitely real, I bought several from Remington that were unused.
AAPK Janitor
just bob

Post by just bob »

Don't know if anyone else caught it or not but the person posting that ad is in Boise, Idaho and they are posting it in Indianapolis. Good chance what Dimitri is saying is right. Maybe they are trying to move items and not using ebay? Caveat Emptor.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

just bob wrote:Don't know if anyone else caught it or not but the person posting that ad is in Boise, Idaho and they are posting it in Indianapolis. Good chance what Dimitri is saying is right. Maybe they are trying to move items and not using ebay? Caveat Emptor.
At one time there was a well known knife collector in Boise (I forget his name, but he wrote some articles for Knife World, maybe one on harness jacks?).

He had put together a large collection of Otswald knives, perhaps he is the one selling these blades. Using Craigs List is a bit odd, though for this type of thing.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”