Opening Tool:A Call to Inventors Artists & Creative Thinkers

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Opening Tool:A Call to Inventors Artists & Creative Thinkers

Post by QTCut5 »

I am a collector of (mostly) folding knives, and I also happen to have severe crippling arthritis in my hands. For many years I have been collecting Case XX for myriad reasons, not the least of which is because Case knives always have relatively easy pulls. Lately, however, I have moved on to collecting GEC knives and as many of you know (and have acknowledged in previous threads), GEC knives often have very stiff back springs and harder pulls. With the harder pull knives I have to use an opening tool to get the blade open. Still, it's not always easy and many times I either cut myself or give up out of frustration. I shared this concern with my buddy in Seattle who is a knifemaker, craftsman and artist and together we came up with a concept for a knife opening tool made out of stag horn. This design is still being refined...the one picured is the first prototype. It works pretty well on single blade knives, but we still need to figure out a design that will work on multi-blade knives. I know there are a lot of creative and inventive minds out there, especially on AAPK...so I am issuing you this challenge...Come up with a better design for a multi-blade knife opening tool. Who knows, maybe you can get a patent and make a million dollars off it? But, as far as my needs go, I really want a convenient tool to help me safely open the folders in my collection that have stiff back springs and hard pulls and more than one blade.

Cheers & Aloha,
~~~~~Q..........
Attachments
Opening Tools: AG Russell, WR CASE, Original Stag Design
Opening Tools: AG Russell, WR CASE, Original Stag Design
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Opening Tool:A Call to Inventors Artists & Creative Thin

Post by Miller Bro's »

Start collecting switchblades ::idea::
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Try taking a small pair of tweezers and heating and bending the end of one side 90 degrees.Spread the tweezers apart enough to get a file in and file it until about 1/32 of an inch is left.Round that slightly and grind the other leg until it is flush with the bent side. This should allow you to slide it in between blades in a multiblade knife and hooking the bent leg to the nailmark. Apply pressure to the tweezers to hold them in place and pull the blade out.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
cato

Post by cato »

thinking the twine cutters the old one maybe new not sure, but they used to make them
out of metal it was like a thumb pick for playing music, was placed on thumb to cut sting.

also maybe a pick for music dobro type or ones for steel guitar , to place on finger

may offer you a little more leverage

like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12pcs-Guitar-Fi ... 27f9e2b595

this lot has more different
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICKS-NATIONAL- ... 58bf7dda82
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Start collecting switchblades ::idea::
Ha Ha Ha LOL :lol: ::nod:: :D I already do, I LOVE switchblades and I happen to have quite a few...but, I also want to collect other types. Also, believe it or not, automatics are still illegal to buy, sell or even own in the state where I live. (Hopefully that will change soon...but for some reason I doubt it's high on the priority list of the state legislature right now.) Meanwhile, I continue to send my small pittance of support to Doug Ritter and Knife Rights.

~~~~~Q..........

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

knife7knut wrote:Try taking a small pair of tweezers and heating and bending the end of one side 90 degrees.Spread the tweezers apart enough to get a file in and file it until about 1/32 of an inch is left.Round that slightly and grind the other leg until it is flush with the bent side. This should allow you to slide it in between blades in a multiblade knife and hooking the bent leg to the nailmark. Apply pressure to the tweezers to hold them in place and pull the blade out.
Great idea...I'll give that a try. Thanks. (I wonder why no one has thought to produce and sell this commercially?) GEC really ought to patent the 'tweezer opening tool' and send one with every knife they sell. ::hmm:: ::suspense::

~~~~~Q..........

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

cato wrote:thinking the twine cutters the old one maybe new not sure, but they used to make them
out of metal it was like a thumb pick for playing music, was placed on thumb to cut sting.

also maybe a pick for music dobro type or ones for steel guitar , to place on finger

may offer you a little more leverage

like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12pcs-Guitar-Fi ... 27f9e2b595

this lot has more different
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICKS-NATIONAL- ... 58bf7dda82
Another great idea, Thanks...it would be kind of like wearing a metal fingernail. I like the concept...probably will have to at least give it a try, after all, the simplist solution is often the best. One of the problems I often have with the opening tools is that they slip out of the nail nick because it can be tricky to apply sufficient pressure into the blade while also exerting enough force pulling up on the blade to counter the stiff back spring. And, more often than not, the nail nicks are usually not deep enough to lock and hold the lip or edge of the tool while performing both the in and up action.

~~~~~Q..........

~Q~
cato

Post by cato »

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO OPEN BACKWARDS TO YOUR USUAL METHOD

INSTEAD OF PULLING BLADE USE TO HOLD BLADE AND PULL THE BODY OF KNIFE
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Or you can do something like I did to this Remington folder.The pen blade was broken and the overall condition of the knife was poor.I rounded off the pen blade and thinned it out a bit to use as a tool to open the backs of wristwatches.Found out it worked well as a knife opener.Keep it on my computer desk in a small sheath.
Attachments
12913 001.jpg
12913 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

A method I was shown that works very well and you don't need to worry about possibly scratching the blade of the knife with an opener.

A friend of mine has business cards that are not the traditional card stock but more of a vinyl/plastic. When folded from end to end the card forms a crease but does not tear. You can then sllde the folded crease of the card into the well of the knife under the point of the blade and pull it open. Works like a charm. Carry a few with me to every knife show.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bkazz5 wrote:A method I was shown that works very well and you don't need to worry about possibly scratching the blade of the knife with an opener.

A friend of mine has business cards that are not the traditional card stock but more of a vinyl/plastic. When folded from end to end the card forms a crease but does not tear. You can then sllde the folded crease of the card into the well of the knife under the point of the blade and pull it open. Works like a charm. Carry a few with me to every knife show.
That's an excellent idea. I'll bet a chunk of plastic milk jug would work well.

So I cut and folded it like this.
DSC07081.JPG
Held it like this.
DSC07082.JPG
Slipped it into the blade well under the tip of the blade like this.
DSC07083.JPG
Volia! C'est Bon.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cato

Post by cato »

sweet!!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Actually, I think any business card would work. It would take an awfully sharp knife to slice through the card just opening the blade. Besides it's much easier to open out at the end like that because the mechanical advantage is better.

Edit: In fact, I tried it and just about any piece of paper folded to make two thicknesses will do the trick.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

You guys are amazing! Great ideas all of you...Thanks!
Paladin actually sent me a really cool opening tool that he had stashed away in his safe (no charge, just one knife lover helping out a brother in need). I've also received several PMs from members with various and sundry ideas and suggestions. I am truly humbled by the kindness and generosity of the AAPK "brotherhood." You guys are true gentlemen and Christians who exemplfy the concept of loving your fellowman and treating others as you would want to be treated yourself (The Golden Rule). It's good people like you that give me hope for the future of mankind and inspire me to be open to opportunities where I can help others...to 'Pay it forward' so-to-speak. Thank you so much.
:D ::pray:: :lol: ::not_worthy::
Cheers & Aloha,
~Q~

~Q~
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Hey QT, here's one more concept.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271598259371?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

These forceps tweezers play DIRECTLY off Ray's idea!
I accidentally stumbled across a pair of these yesterday while searching for something else in a kitchen drawer.
The thought of your needs came directly to mind.
(although I couldn't remember what these were called at first. ::hmm:: "forceps")

You would simply have to file one "tooth" off one side of them.
They'd be worth a try! ::nod::
Good luck with any of the ideas and creations others have posted here. ::tu::

Joe
Attachments
forceps tweezer.jpg
forceps tweezers.jpg
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”