REPAIR ADVICE NEEDED (GERMAN EYE CANOE, BACK SPRING REPLACEM

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
EdgeMaker

REPAIR ADVICE NEEDED (GERMAN EYE CANOE, BACK SPRING REPLACEM

Post by EdgeMaker »

Gentlemen, I find myself in need of your instruction. I have good mechanical skills but I have never tried to do this particular task or even seen it done. Basically, I need to replace the back spring on a German Eye, Single Spring Canoe folding knife.

A dear friend of mine had given me an old German Eye Canoe that had well outlived its usefulness. Then he picked up another German Eye Canoe that was in mint condition. While taking pictures of the knife the back spring broke on the one that was in mint condition. Thus, my dear friend then gave me that one as well, thinking that I could take my old German Eye Canoe, take the back spring out of it and put the back spring in the one that was mint. Then I will have a very nice German Eye Canoe. It will of course not be original but then I don’t plan on selling it so it does not matter to me as I have a strange fascination with the Canoe knives.

At any rate, as I said, I have never done this before so if there is anyone out there who is willing to share with me a set of instructions or order of operations on how best to tackle this task I am willing to give it a try and learn something new in the process.

I would very much appreciate any help anyone could give me in regards to this repair.

EdgeMaker
EDGEMAKER

AS IRON SHARPENS IRON, SO DOES ONE MAN SHARPEN ANOTHER.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: REPAIR ADVICE NEEDED (GERMAN EYE CANOE, BACK SPRING REPL

Post by btrwtr »

Repairs of this type can be tricky. Is this a double ended spring? If it is it would make the repair much easier. You should be able to remove the springs without taking the knives apart. What is the handle material on the 2 knives?

If you are able to remove the springs from both knives there is no guarantee the old spring will fit and work correctly in the new knife.

As far as I know there is no standard route of repair for this. Can you post pictures of the 2 knives?

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
EdgeMaker

Post by EdgeMaker »

I have taken the old knife apart all the way. The only problem I face is that the back spring has a single pin or rivet that will not come out either way. I will have to flatten and elongate the pin until one side of it will pass through the spring,

I am going to have to do this at some point anyway as the brass liners on the inside of the good knife are going to have to slide over it as well as the spring sliding back over it between the two brass liners.

As for the fit. The two knives are exactly the same size and detentions is every other way right down to the bolsters. I know what you mean and there is certainly the possibility that you are correct. In fact, murphy's law being what it is, well enough said, but I am going to give it a go and see what happens.

If this works out right, I am going to have a very nice German Eye Canoe. I am a fan of both so this is a nice score for me. it suck for my friend who lost his investment in the knife but I will take care of him. He bought it to resell as that is what he does in his retirement years and he would not try to pass the knife off as new, having been repaired,

If you have any ideas about how to best accomplish this final task please let me know.
EDGEMAKER

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Every knife you take apart is different. I have drilled pins out, cut through them at the liners, filed, punched out or pushed them back and forth grinding off the heads each time until they hopefully come out.

If the old knife is a sacrifice I would grind or file through the handle and pin until I could punch the pin out.

There are some good tutorials in the repair forum.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=37

What is the handle material?

Wayne

Wayne

EdgeMaker

Post by EdgeMaker »

Thanks for your help, but I gave it a go. I had to do just a bit of work on the replacement back spring and i had to make a new pin. However with a little patience the knife went back together fine. and ha great snap.

The knife has no collectors value which stances for my friend who gave it to me. However, as it stands, I see no reason not to sharpen this fine piece of German steel and put it to work, Aa I had mentioned, I am a huge fan of German Eye knives and I have a strange fascination with the Canoe knives, so WHY NOT?

Thanks
EDGEMAKER

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Good deal! Glad it worked out for you.

Wayne

Wayne

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain