Star Brand knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Beag1eGal

Star Brand knife

Post by Beag1eGal »

Hi! Can anybody tell me much about a Star brand knife made in Japan?
t is a single blade with deer and woods etched on the blade. The number is 3344B
It has handles similar to the Case smooth appaloosa bone.
Thank you.
Attachments
P1260284.JPG
P1260287.JPG
P1260289.JPG
P1260287.JPG
knife7knut

Re: Star Brand knife

Post by knife7knut »

I don't recall who made knives for Star but they were pretty decent quality and that one I believe sold for about $30 in the early 1980's. Star was from down south somewhere;I have a couple and a letter opener and they are decent knives.I'll see if I can find out something about them.Here are two that I own.
Attachments
StarCE1977.jpg
StarGEKnife07.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

One of numerous listings in "Goins' Encyclopedia Of Cutlery Markings" shows Star as based in Knoxville, Tenn. I'm 99.9% sure that would be appropriate to your knife. It's a fairly modern knife of decent quality produced to appeal to the collector market.

Hope this info helps you.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Thank you it does help.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

That is a really KOOL knife!!

Do you run beagles?? John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Thanks John! I like it too.
No, I don't run beagles! I wish I did! I have always loved them.
I have one now.A little 13 inch girl that is going on 12 years old and has some major health problems!
But boy when she hits a trail she comes to life!
Attachments
602669_527616163957766_1089420662_n.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Beag1eGal wrote:Thanks John! I like it too.
I have one now.A little 13 inch girl that is going on 12 years old and has some major health problems!
She is a CUTIE.. I had to send my little girl to heaven Nov 2013.. Real sad day for me!! ::teary_eyes:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

philco wrote:One of numerous listings in "Goins' Encyclopedia Of Cutlery Markings" shows Star as based in Knoxville, Tenn. I'm 99.9% sure that would be appropriate to your knife. It's a fairly modern knife of decent quality produced to appeal to the collector market.

Hope this info helps you.
Thanks Phil, Appreciate the info.
Also Love the quote at the end of your page! Yes, doing my best to live for HIM!!!!
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

jmh58 wrote:
Beag1eGal wrote:Thanks John! I like it too.
She is a CUTIE.. I had to send my little girl to heaven Nov 2013.. Real sad day for me!! ::teary_eyes:: John :D
John, Sorry about your little girl! Yep! It's gonna be a very hard day!
I hope your girl lived a long full life!
We are trying to make each day special for ours!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've had many, many dogs in my life but two of them were "special" above all the others. One of them was a little male beagle that showed up at my house one day. (That's how most of my dogs have come into my life). He was already several years old when I got him and I had him for eight years, so I think he lived to be about fifteen or sixteen. Beagles make fantastic pets. I'd love to have another one some day.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

philco wrote:I've had many, many dogs in my life but two of them were "special" above all the others. One of them was a little male beagle that showed up at my house one day. (That's how most of my dogs have come into my life). He was already several years old when I got him and I had him for eight years, so I think he lived to be about fifteen or sixteen. Beagles make fantastic pets. I'd love to have another one some day.
She has been a blessing from Day One! She has filled my life with more joy than I can even measure!
Sometimes a pain, sometimes a problem but always the joy out weighs the other! Now that her health is failing it is a heartache and expense, but she was giving to me to care for while she is here and I am here and that is what I willing will do.
Perhaps down the road I too will want another.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

For the life of me, I cannot recall the name of the old gentleman that owned Star Sales Co in Knoxville. I met and talked with him several times at knife shows back in the 80's.

He was also the man that marketed Knife-Paks and I bought several from him as my collection got bigger and bigger.

He was a really nice man.

When a few people were importing what I considered to be very poor quality foreign made knives, he upped the quality and did well with his imports.

He wasn't a Jim Parker or Jim Frost, but he did pretty well all by himself.

And I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Hard to deal with. Been there three times. Best cure is another puppy.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:For the life of me, I cannot recall the name of the old gentleman that owned Star Sales Co in Knoxville. I met and talked with him several times at knife shows back in the 80's.

He was also the man that marketed Knife-Paks and I bought several from him as my collection got bigger and bigger.

He was a really nice man.

When a few people were importing what I considered to be very poor quality foreign made knives, he upped the quality and did well with his imports.

He wasn't a Jim Parker or Jim Frost, but he did pretty well all by himself.

And I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Hard to deal with. Been there three times. Best cure is another puppy.

Charlie Noyes
Charlie: I was just looking through an old(1981)issue of Knife World and there is a full page back cover ad for Star Sales.Doesn't mention the owner's name and all the pictured knives are Robert Klaas knives.They also have pics of the 1975-1977-1980 NKCA club knives and a note that they can supply Klaas knives with any logo you want for your club,etc.
I know one of the Knife World papers I have has the OP's knife in it and I believe it was around $40 for it.

My first dog was a beagle that I got when I was 7.Had her for nearly 17 years.My last puppy(the Muttster)we had for nearly 18 years before everything just gave out.Hardest thing in the world I ever had to do was put her down.Still can't bring myself to get another one.
Attachments
MyMutt1.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

FOUND IT!!!! Here is the ad I was looking for;Knife World May 1978. For several years Star Sales had a whole back page outer ad for their knives.They sold Robert Klaas;Bruckmannm and Victorinox among others.
Attachments
StarSalesAd.jpg
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Star Sales went out of business last year, 2014. They were located on Central near downtown Knoxville for years (some of those employees had been there for years maybe even Day One).
He just could not compete with the internet, China and I am sure a few other factors. Just retired.
The warehouse is still on the market.

The guy they were grooming to take it over is a TeeVee star on some cable/satellite knife show and that is my understanding now.

Meet Bonnie and Jake.......Of course they ain't as hairy at this time. ::sneaky::

9ball :)
Attachments
J & B.jpg
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Thank you all so much! And thank you for the welcomes!
I haven't had the Star Brand Knife very long, Picked it up pretty reasonable about 4 months ago. It looks near mint.
I figured it was not a high dollar knife, but descent quality and I just liked it.
Just wanted to get a little history on it!
Have enjoyed chatting and seeing the pictures if the knives AND Pups! Kinda go together don't they?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Stick around. This isn't a bad place to hang your hat.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Based on the number of intervening years alone, I highly suspect the gentleman to which I referred in my previous post is long since deceased.

Possibly his progeny have been running the company.

I'd be very surprised to learn he was still living.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Somehow pocketknives and a good dog make life so much better!
Attachments
PB030019.JPG

Return to “General Knife Discussion”