DOES ANYONE EDC A PEARL HANDLE FOLDER

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gino

DOES ANYONE EDC A PEARL HANDLE FOLDER

Post by gino »

I have owned many pearl handled knives but never carried one and I recently bought one (waiting for her to get here) and want to EDC it and was looking to hear from anyone that has carried one for a decent length of time, any issues with durability etc... I wont be using it for any tough tasks.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
zp4ja

Re: DOES ANYONE EDC A PEARL HANDLE FOLDER

Post by zp4ja »

Gino my friend, I hope life finds you well and Merry Christmas!

I have carried a few but not for a great length of time. Unfotunately mainly to funerals. Ending up giving them away to the grieving relatives or widow (My sister and one of my Dad's knives). 2 pearls and an abalone. I will probably pull another from the collection to EDC as two I gave away were in my rotation.

Very classy Sunday or special occasion carry.

I remember a guy here on AAPK about a year ago (a friend of mine) that picked up a nice oldie at a flea market or something and when getting out of the car at home thereafter, he dropped it on the driveway and cracked or chipped the pearl.

Sound familiar?

I remember Elvis saying that "trying to drill pearl is like drilling a eggshell" as I recall. So as to durabilty against a drop, probably not good. I am not a carry a knife in a pocket protector guy either but to each his own. I never carry anything in same pocket as a knife no matter what handle material, even Delrin.

Enjoy her and carry her. My 2 cents.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have a pearl Case sleeveboard (82079 1/2)that I often carry on Sunday mornings only, for the past 30 years or more. It hasn't seen any rough use but has held up remarkably well considering its age. No cracks or chips, no discoloration. It just goes into my pocket along with keys and loose change so I don't necessarily baby it, but it hasn't seen anything remotely close to what my workday EDCs go through.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gino

Post by gino »

Thanks Ken that's kinda how I plan to use mine.

Jerry, you had to remind me of that one huh??? I call it the driveway incident, LOL
Merry Christmas to you also my friend ;) check your PM
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Gino, I have a few Robesons a Miller Bros. a New York Knife and 5 or 6 others that are free from any problems at all and I don't hesitate to carry them. Sometimes for weeks at a time. Being a little older I go through life with a little lighter step. They are a pleasure to carry. Life's too short to leave your Pearl at home. :D
Joe
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

FRJ wrote:" … Life's too short to leave your Pearl at home. :D …"
Hey Gino, I think that bout sums it up, no?

~ edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I carried a pearl EDC once. Once! As a retired phoneman I had leaned out a bit while in the lift of my bucket truck and the pocket that knife was in must've been the pressure point I was leaning against. CRACK! There went one side of my beauty. I'd EDC an Abalone without much worry because of the way it's layered when made, but the pearl should be a "Sunday go to meeting" knife IMHO.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Gino, I have carried my Dan Burke black lip MOP Queenie English Jack to church a few to times but was always afraid it was going to fall out of my pocket at some point so stopped carrying it. It's the perfect knife for special occasions, maybe I'll carry it on my daughter's wedding day, next fall. ::shrug::
Love all Jacks
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

I've carried pearl knives in the past. In my experience pearl holds up just fine to being carried around. But it is very unforgiving if you drop it on a hard surface like tile or even hardwood. A pearl EDC is a fine choice. Life's too short not to carry a knife you don't love. However, I wouldn't carry anything I would consider irreplaceable if I did damage it. Just my two cents.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I completely agree Dave. Really my only reason for not carrying the Dan Burke more. To replace it would not be impossible but because I love the fire in it, it might be impossible to match or replace the pearl and how it looks.
Attachments
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6111.JPG
Love all Jacks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Perry, I like the picture you posted on IKC better. Not that those two are bad, it's just that the other pic is better. JMO
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
junebug

Post by junebug »

i use to carry 2 diff pearl...........ONLY LASTED A FEW WEEKS............
i found myself CONSTANTLY WORRYING about the danged pearl scales :(
it was more hassle than it was worth for me in WORRY......lololololl ::mdm::
give it a try....bet ya find yerself thinkin bout EVERY LIL MOVE YA MAKE ....wonderin' IS MA KNIFE ON THAT SIDE????....DID I BUMP THAT WITH MA LEG????.....BETTER CHECK MA KNIFE!!!........LOLOLOLOL

::handshake::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
singin46

Post by singin46 »

You're right Jerry. That's back when I was good at taking pics. These days I'm more interested in knives, I guess. ::facepalm:: you're right Josh, it shouldn't be all consuming. Here's the shot Jerry is referring to.
Attachments
IMG_2326.jpg
Love all Jacks
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW Perry that is beautifull ::nod:: I never carry pearl ::shrug:: My wife does :D
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Beautiful knife, Perry! ::drool:: I can see why you'd be hesitant to carry that one, especially with the pearl being carved. It's not like you could just replace the scales if they did crack or chip.

I have a similar problem with this higonokami by Yoshimi Kotoh. I love the knife, but I'd constantly worry about damaging the pearl if I carried it.
Attachments
Yoshimi_Kotoh.jpg
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
gino

Post by gino »

Thanks for the response fellas, it should be here today but after the responses I think I might just put her away ;)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”