Flea Market Finds

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Ammojim

Flea Market Finds

Post by Ammojim »

I am new here so bear with me.

I bought this at the flea market here in Glendale Az. this weekend. I talked the seller down on a lot of 4 vintage knifes I will post later. This one was the fourth and he said he would take $5 for it for a total of $30 for all.

My question is what is the brand? It has two broken blades and the one with the maker mark is broke off very short. Other than the broken blades it is in really nice shape. Springs look good.

On the broken main blade it says High Carbon Steel USA. On the spiral punch it says Spiral Punch.

After searching all over I have seen a few knives with this shield, a Queen, a Schrade and a Fake Case.

Any help out there would be appreciated.

I love it. I love the color. Reminds me of the knife that a Great Uncle or Grandfather might carry. Only people of wealth had these type of knives as I remember my childhood in the 50's and 60's. I do want to replace the blades.
Attachments
20141215_081007_resized.jpg
20141215_080855_resized.jpg
Flea market.JPG
tjmurphy

Re: Flea Market Finds

Post by tjmurphy »

High Carbon Steel is a CAMILLUS brand.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

As T.J. said, Camillus made. High Carbon Steel was a contract brand they made for Sears & Roebuck from 1927-1940. Since yours is not stamped "High Carbon Steel Camillus NY" nor does it have the "Dunlap" shield, I think I'm safe in saying it probably had Sta-Sharp etched on the main blade when it was new. (I learned ALL of that right here on AAPK.)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ammojim

Post by Ammojim »

Here are the rest of the knives I got from that seller for $30.

Monarch 2131 Japan, Kabar from Japan witn Cleveland Ohio on it, the unknown brand I was asking about and a really nice No Name

I have been looking for a good truck knife since my truck was stolen 3 years ago. I lost a good knife when it was recovered so now I am looking to keep a low cost knife in it so if it gets stolen again I do not lose Dollars or quality American knife! This no name may be the ticket unless I get attached to it. I really like the feel of it.
Attachments
$30, Monarch 2131 Japan, Kabar Japan UNK, No Name.jpg
Ammojim

Post by Ammojim »

Thank you so much for the information. My next task will be to find a picture of one so I can go about putting replacement blades on this one.

My interest is to make it an every day pocket knife. Not necessarily restored unless I can find a donor knife. More like refurbished. If I cannot find a donor knife I will put on the closest thing.

Jim
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Here's a High Carbon Steel that I think that I still have:
MVC-058F.JPG
MVC-059F.JPG
EDIT: After going back and reviewing your OP I see that my pic is not of the same knife as yours. :oops: Yours appears to be 5-bladed?
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome to AAPK.
I love the Rogers bone on that old knife you got. Those are my favorite knife handles!
I have some old parts knives and I do knife repair. I am not sure that I have a blade to that, but I think I may have. I certainly have some Camillus knives and some High Carbon knives that Camillus made that may have a blade that would fit your knife.

If you decide to have it repaired send me a PM or email and I can get more detail from you regarding the knife.

Welcome to AAPK and Merry Christmas!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Ammojim

Post by Ammojim »

Thank you very much, I may do that. You also answered another question I had but did not know how to ask it. So that is a Rogers bone handle!

I have one of more like that handle on another knife. I will post it. I have scored a lot of knives in the last 4 weeks at the Flea market here.

I paid $10 for the top one, Imperial, $10 for the Western, $5 for the bottom Imperial. The next picture has the other side of the lock knife. I have never seen one of those from Imperial either.

Maybe that top Imperial is not the same as the Rogers bone but I like it either way. It is lighter and more of a cream color. I am to new to this to know everything just yet.

Jim
Attachments
$10 Imperial, Western, $5 Imperial.jpg
$10 Imperial.jpg
Ammojim

Post by Ammojim »

l want to post some more of my flea market finds from the last 4 weeks before I go out tomorrow. I will have to move over to a different discussion for repairs on some of them.

I gave $3 for the Olson, $10 for the Buck 303, and $5 for the Colonial. The Colonial just needs one scale and bolsters. The Olson has some type of glue on the handle. The guy was carving it away when I got there. It has the original sheath also.

I found these bottom three in a box marked $1 of mostly China knives. Winchester, Sunbrite, Victorinox. The Winchester is nice but it has some issues and I am not sure how to address the. Anyway, good buy.

Jim
Attachments
$10 Olson, Bubk 303, Colonial.jpg
$1 Winchester, Sunbrite,Victorinox.jpg
Ammojim

Post by Ammojim »

I got this no name without scales for $4.

$3 for the Kabar hobo set. I think that was a really good buy for the shape it is in. I have never seen one like it.

Gave $5 for the US Knife. Not sure of the brand as the main blade is broken. I am going to K-ball it for parts for another I have.

Jim
Attachments
$4 No Name.jpg
$3Kabar.jpg
20141216_072739_resized.jpg
Unk US $5.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”