quality of vintages

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
saltwaterebel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

quality of vintages

Post by saltwaterebel »

I know this is going to be quite subjective and personal opinion driven, but ill ask. out of Camillus, ulster and Robeson, which is the better quality knife? taking in consideration the entire scope of what all offered over the years. I am currently focusing on collecting Robeson. I did however pick up a vintage ulster stockman and the quality has me thinking, who is better. the ulster is damn nice. anyone?
rmeron

Re: quality of vintages

Post by rmeron »

I am definitely no expert, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any of them in good condition.
saltwaterebel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by saltwaterebel »

its hard to decide. I like Robeson looks and quality, I like the jigging on them. if had the cash, id buy all three in quantity!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As time elapsed automation, materials and quality changed with most manufacturers. The older the better in my book.

In my opinion all 3 made excellent knives. I think the pre-1942 Ulster Dwight Devine marked knives ran neck and neck with the Robesons of that era. I don't have much experience with the newer Camillus knives but they also were very high quality back in the day.

I like all three manufacturers and it would be a coin toss on a knife to knife basis as to which I would prefer but since you are asking I really like the old Dwight Devine Ulsters. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. They all had there distinct styles, bone jigging etc.

Which do you like better? Blondes or Brunettes? Ford or Chevy? It's hard to argue against one man's preference.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good thing nothong is riding on this.......cause I sure couldn't help decide.
I think Robesons are a little harder to come by though.....as I've flipped hundreds and hundreds of knives over the past 4 years, but only a few have been Robesons...
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
saltwaterebel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by saltwaterebel »

thanks wayne. im sticking with Robeson for now. its hard not want em all tho. by the way, im a brunette and ford man!
saltwaterebel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by saltwaterebel »

TripleF wrote:Good thing nothong is riding on this.......cause I sure couldn't help decide.
I think Robesons are a little harder to come by though.....as I've flipped hundreds and hundreds of knives over the past 4 years, but only a few have been Robesons...
I think this is one of the reasons im going with Robeson.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

For the money, CAMILLUS is as good as it gets. The pre-WWII and WWII era knives have the most spectacular bone handles. There are a lot of excellent Cammie's out there for low dollars ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
saltwaterebel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by saltwaterebel »

great blog scott. ive been reading all moring with my coffee.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

saltwaterebel wrote:thanks wayne. im sticking with Robeson for now. its hard not want em all tho. by the way, im a brunette and ford man!
Lol, I guess I'm right there with you, brunette wife and a Ford truck. And I love all them knives, lol. In many of those older brands it often comes down to a knife by knife basis. There are certain patterns of one brand I really like, and other patterns of other brands. You cannot beat old Schrade peach seed bone, the Camillus 69 gets me every time, Case 6375 is my first love, Western knives had the hands down best steel of any of them, etc, etc....

The brands you listed all had some really good years, some really good characteristics, and some years that weren't as good IMO. Some collect just one brand, or one pattern. Me, I accumulate knives. There are some I'm always on the look out for, but I look mainly for quality old knives in the patterns and styles that speak to me. I wouldn't turn down any of the ones you mentioned.

And TJ is right on. Old Camillus is hard to beat and until recently was really cheap. But there are still some great deals out there on some wonderful old Camillus knives.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Maybe this will help you decide.
Attachments
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
AAPK Janitor
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Maybe this will help you decide.
Okay I've made up my mind. I'll take a blonde, a Chevy and that Robeson! Final answer.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

:lol:
AAPK Janitor
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

btrwtr wrote:
Okay I've made up my mind. I'll take a blonde, a Chevy and that Robeson! Final answer.
............ ::td::.....................ford, brunette, Camillus!!!!!.......... ::tu:: ........................
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

carrmillus wrote:
btrwtr wrote:
............ ::td::.....................ford, brunette, Camillus!!!!!.......... ::tu:: ........................
+1 lol!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Apropos of hardly anything, a search on eBay for the following brands with the number of items for sale of each.

Ulster ------- 292
Robeson ---- 347
Western ----- 1,426
Camillus ----- 2,437
Schrade ------ 8,610
Case --------- 28,613
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
saltwaterebel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by saltwaterebel »

love the jig on that old Camillus.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I'd forget about collecting Robesons;Charlie Noyes has all of them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Seriously all of the three brands mentioned are of excellent quality and a collection of any of them would be something to be proud of.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

carrmillus wrote:
btrwtr wrote:
................to be more specific......'56 TBIRD......GINA LOLABRIDGADIGA......CAMILLUS SUNFISH.................. ::tu:: ........................................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

carrmillus wrote:
btrwtr wrote:
................to be more specific......'56 TBIRD......GINA LOLABRIDGADIGA......CAMILLUS SUNFISH.................. ::tu:: ........................................

Return to “General Knife Discussion”