Case Knife Collection

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
AgentOrangeHorn

Case Knife Collection

Post by AgentOrangeHorn »

Hello all, I've been collecting case knives for a few years now. I cam across this website and thought i would join. Some of best memories include me with my Grandfather and Father with blade in hand,skinning a deer. I've come across a deal I need some advise on though.....

i am in the position to buy 641 case knives from the 50-80's, all new,never used. i need a couple of opinions on them pls. This will help in my negotiations of the 641 knives in velvet knife rolls.
There are many different type/blades., all folders. he was a middle class gentleman that collected over his years.
1) sHOULD I MAke offer on the entire lot, not by knife right?
2) what should i USE AS AN AVERAGE PRICE OR HOW WOULD YO GO ABOUT BIDDING IT. All are folders, not used with maybe 50 higher end??
3) how much of the knives value should i take off since no boxes?
4) what would you estimate 641 folding knives from the 50-80's would
sell for retail if i was to sell on EBAY,etc.
I am trying to buy them and only sell what i absolutely would have to as they will go to my 2 sons. Im not un the position to keep all 641 knives but feel i might could sell 100 and get way with that(if wife doesnt find out)
AND without looking, what range would you pay for 640 case folding knives, mainly the mainstream knives/

I am going to make this deal on Saturday....any info would be greatly appreciated....Kevin

Look forward to spending time on this site.............
tjmurphy

Re: Case Knife Collection

Post by tjmurphy »

Certainly NOT a CASE guy but I've looked at a lot of them on ebay. Since you say they range from common (average) to higher end, I would think that somewhere around a $30 +/- average would be an acceptable offer. I don't think that this would be a low-ball offer on the 640 knives, nor would I considerate more than they're worth. JMO.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Boy that is a tough one! Who knows what lurks? I never heard of ANY Case knife worth less than $30 in top shape. If there are some 10 dots in there, $100 would be the minimum for them. Lots of pre-65 knives would go $100 and more. I am thinking you said that you have been collecting Case knives? You maybe know about as well as anyone. You can't get a look at them? Keep us posted! I would not drop $10,000 to $50,000 on ANYTHING without strong assurances in place as to what I was getting and making sure that it ARRIVED.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

One thing I've learned from hanging around here, NO ONE pays anywhere close to retail when they buy collections. There are a few dealers here that should be able to give you some guidance if they see this thread.

Edit: Just because your offer is way below retail does not mean you are trying to rip off the seller. You are buying partially for resale and can expect to make a profit, plus you probably won't see any return on your purchase for a while so you have that investment hanging out there for an unknown length of time. Don't be embarrassed by offering a dealers discounted price. It's the way business is done.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

For what it's worth, the Case knives sold up to and thru the 70s did not come individually boxed so not having the box for those is not a strike against them.

As has been previously stated, nobody would likely pay full value for such a vast collection if purchasing it all in one chunk. I'd suggest that since you've seen the knives (I presume) you work out a rough ballpark estimate of what they might sell for then offer no more than half that amount. 641 knives at $30 each is $19,230. There are not a lot of folks out there ready and ABLE to lob that kind of money at a knife collection. I'd most likely offer a lower amount to start. Remember that by selling all of the knives in mass, the selller is avoiding a tremendous amount of hassle and overhead expenses that you'll be taking on if you try to flip them.

Most importantly, don't forget that condition is extremely important when it comes to the value of a knife. Even minor flaws will lower the value considerably.

Good luck.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

What the others have said is true. I'll add too, that as you may well know when it comes to grading the condition, Case guys have a whole nuther way of looking at condition it seems than collectors of other brands. Spotting on the blades, blade rub, etc may be acceptable, normal aging in some brands, but will lower the value more it seems with Case knives.

Proceed with caution.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Without seeing the knives it would be impossible to come up with any kind of price for them.

If I could actually see the knives I would have to then group them into lots according to what I thought actual retail value was. If I then had say 5 different lots priced $20-$30, $35-$50, $55-75, $80-$100, $100+ for example I would then be able to approximate retail value.

On such a large group of knives, given the amount of money involved, I would be looking at about 50% of what I might consider the actual retail (not book price) to be. A knife with a spot on the blade, a hairline handle crack, poorly matched handle color or slow blades would not be priced as mint.

If you are considering selling some of the knives you should know that some will be very slow to sell with little collector interest and some will be very desirable additions to someones collection and will sell quickly. If selling on eBay there is considerable time and effort involved as well as a 13% ballpark fee for selling.

That's a large group and a lot of money you are talking about. As Colonel26 said, proceed with caution.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
garyflorida

Post by garyflorida »

13% fee..I had no idea. They are making a fortune!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Gary,
It is 10% for eBay and about 3 1/4% for PayPal. Yes, they are doing well.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As always Gary, it's all about the money. Never forget that and you will be able to figure the whys and wherefors of just about anything.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
AgentOrangeHorn

Thanks everyone for your valued input. I will keep everyone updated once we make a decision. I had the chance today and go and see the collection. Wow, overwhelming was my first thoughts. The 691 total knife includes old Kabar's.Bucks and mainly Case knives. Most in velvet roles and some in plexi cases,etc. Have been in knife roles for 15 years.

If I do close the deal, I will share pics and will need a lot of help. My goal again is to sell enough to at least make half my money back as this is turning into something I really want to do(collecting).

TaKE care and stay tuned....

AgentOrangeHorn
garyflorida

Post by garyflorida »

I bet the seller is thinking 35 G's. Buyer rubs his head and offers 28 G's. Settle on 30 Grand will be my guess. I wouldn't take less and my knives are counterfeit. ::uc::
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Agent Orange, you made the statment, "if my wife doesen't find out". :shock:
Unless you have major mad money deep in your wallet, you may want to include her in this potential investment.

Paul
AgentOrangeHorn

I did own up and involve the wife. She is actually ok with me buying the entire lot if i can get a good price and sell half of what i paid for collection. Will cost me a shopping trip but "Happy Wife,Happy Life"!.

Gents, have a good week leading up to Thanksgiving. Will be back with info on the knives.

Take Care,
AOH
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Smart idea in talking it over with the wife - for most guys you can hide a hundred here, a hundred there - but I'd find $25 Grand hard to hide!! Good luck with the collection - heck, I might buy one or two - that should take the pressure off. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I went through something similar a few years ago. My Brother in law died and left several hundred knives and allied pieces to my Wife. I went through the lot and came up with a retail figure using all the standard price guides. I put together a catalog then made contact a with few dealers that advertise in Knife World and on line that said they pay fair prices for any collection. They came in with bids that averaged 20-23% of the figure I had set as retail. Non of them were willing to come near 50%. We decided to do the work and sell them on ebay. When it was all said and done we made a little over 80% of my original estimate in sales plus I kept a few for my time and trouble. It kept me busy selling and packing for the better part of a year to get it done. This was in 2006-2007 before Ebay starting skimming so much off the top. I was able to get fair shipping and handling fees as well.
I don't know if this helps you at all ::shrug::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
AgentOrangeHorn

Everyone of your post has helped with this transaction. We have agreed on a price and will be finalizing after we have some legal documents drawn up. I'd say by end of December I will have in my possesion. As soon as I do, i will let all know.

Right off the bat, I see a "VINTAGE CASE KNIFE HATCHET AXE COMBO BONE WITH ORIGINAL SHEATH". This gentleman had a passion and it shows in his collection. I will treat is as so and with all the respect it deserves.
Do send me your wants/needs in a message I can save and will see if there's any of it in the collection once i receive and start to go thru each roll/box.Most knives look to be from late 70's to early 90's. There are also KABAR and other brands.

How about a NASA knife that was on one of the missions?!!! So much to take in....Have to buy another safe to keep this in....

Anyway, take care all and look forward to being a part of AAPK........

Regards,
AgentOrangeHorn
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just a word of caution, from experience. I wouldn't buy anything that has been stored in knife rolls, velvet or otherwise, without thoroughly inspecting the knives. Chemicals used to dye and preserve fabrics, leather, Naugahyde, etc. are not typically friendly to metals. I've seen many rusted/tarnished knives that were stored in knife rolls. Also if there should happen to be any knives having celluloid scales in the collection, they are well known source of contamination/damage to other knives stored in close proximity, as well as themselves. Just be cautious and know what you're getting.

And welcome to AAPK!

Good luck!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
AgentOrangeHorn

Everyone here has been very helpful and i truly appreciate every bit of it......With 2 kids in school, Im not going to be able to come up with the 15K. If anyone is interested in making 20% interested on investment, pls eamil me and we can go from there. It will all be on up and up of course and we will have legal documents thru a lawyere or legal Zoom/notary, wshatever is needed.

Increments of $3,750 at fixed interest rate of 20%. so if you went in with $3,750, you would get back $4,250.

I am selling enough knives to make the initial investment back plus interest. also, along with this, you get your money every quarter, no depending on if knives sell or not.
Payment would be every end of quarter so $4,250, which is with interest would be $1,125 every quarter. I am in Texas. Most Im sure will be skeptical about this as I would but it real. I just do not want this to get away. Im looking for at least $7,500 or $11,250.

Ya'll don' laugh me out of the group as I'm going to need everyone's expertise once i secure...All members will be able to get a knife of their liking below what it's really worth. I am not a greedy person for sure and want to keep as many as possible for my 2 sons..If interested, drop my an email and we can discuss. Like i said, I am open to handling this any way legally that you would want. i have a Full time job that pays well but with 2 kids in college, Im having to stretch it further.

If not, I look forward to posting knives soon. i just do not want this one to get away.. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome as well.

Take Care and Merry Christmas to All!
::handshake::
Kevin B in TEXAS
kgbplanner@yahoo.com
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

AgentOrangeHorn wrote: Most Im sure will be skeptical about this as I would but it real. I just do not want this to get away. Im looking for at least $7,500 or $11,250.
::skeptic:: ::skeptic:: ::nod::

caveat emptor
AAPK Janitor
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Kevin B;

I'm confused. Did you actually buy the knives?

Are you now trying to resell them?

Steve
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Steve, i think he's seeking investors.. I feel this deal is better done by one of you CASE WHALES... but im bout 3 hrs (2 ranches) from him in TX, if
i can be of any help to the deal ..

regards Dave
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

MrBlister wrote:Steve, i think he's seeking investors.. I feel this deal is better done by one of you CASE WHALES... but im bout 3 hrs (2 ranches) from him in TX, if

regards Dave
Thanks there Dave;

But in TX are two ranches only 3 hours?

Reminds me of a story I heard from a local farmer (not rancher) up north of here in Vermont - where there are no ranches, and where the typical farm is about 5 minutes across.

Said Vermont farmer attended a big farming/ranching conference in the big city. Among other people, he met a rancher from TX.

The rancher wanted to put in some not so subtle bragging about the size of his "spread" in Texas. So he said "you know, about twice a year, I want to travel from one side of my ranch to the other side of my ranch. So I get in my truck, and it takes me four days to get from one side of my ranch to the other side".

The Vermont farmer thought on that a bit and said..."yeah, I know what you mean. I had a truck like that once"...
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

knifeaholic wrote:
MrBlister wrote:Steve, i think he's seeking investors.. I feel this deal is better done by one of you CASE WHALES... but im bout 3 hrs (2 ranches) from him in TX, if

regards Dave
Thanks there Dave;

But in TX are two ranches only 3 hours?

Reminds me of a story I heard from a local farmer (not rancher) up north of here in Vermont - where there are no ranches, and where the typical farm is about 5 minutes across.

Said Vermont farmer attended a big farming/ranching conference in the big city. Among other people, he met a rancher from TX.

The rancher wanted to put in some not so subtle bragging about the size of his "spread" in Texas. So he said "you know, about twice a year, I want to travel from one side of my ranch to the other side of my ranch. So I get in my truck, and it takes me four days to get from one side of my ranch to the other side".

The Vermont farmer thought on that a bit and said..."yeah, I know what you mean. I had a truck like that once"...
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: Good one! :lol: :lol:
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good one Steve! ::tu:: Makes a good story but truth is, in Texas it's considered rude to ask about the size of a man's ranch or how much livestock he has (and especially so if he's a stranger), or for a man to brag about the same. Think of it this way - would you like it if someone asked you your net worth or how much money you have in the bank? ::facepalm::

There are indeed some big ranches in Texas (Google the 6666 ranch or of course the King Ranch, for examples), but I suspect ol' Blister was just funnin', or he's on foot! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”