Richland Sheffield England.

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knifetime

Richland Sheffield England.

Post by knifetime »

I need information on the Richland knife company. The tang stamp I have is " Richland, Sheffield, England " and it is on a shell handle knife and it has a lamp post for the L in Richland. I'm looking for information on the company.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Joe Dirt

Re: Richland Sheffield England.

Post by Joe Dirt »

Hey knifetime, try "Richards" Sheffield England. ::tu::

Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

It is RICHARDS........
Some info I found with a quick Google search.......

Richards was founded in the 1930s by two German brothers whose names were actually Paul and Stefan Richartz. They came from Solingen in Germany (like Sheffield a big cutlery manufacturing town) and they brought with them a skilled production engineer, Wilhelm Müller. The name of the firm was changed to Richards just before the Second World War. They mass-produced knives, scissors etc. which had the "lamp-post" trade mark. Their original factory was badly damaged in the war and in 1946 they moved to a new building at 55 Moore Street site - where Wickes is now. It was probably the largest cutlery-manufacturing firm in Sheffield, though the "traditional" cutlers tended to look down on them in view of their cheap, mass-produced output. My brother-in-law was caretaker there in the 1960s, by which time Müller was running the firm; I used to go with him on his rounds and I well remember the "rumblers" that lazarus referred to. Richards was bought out in 1977 by the Imperial Knife Company of the U.S.A. Richards closed in 1983 and the factory was demolished. Wilhelm Müller died aged 77 in 1982.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75429

JW~
Attachments
RichardsKeyKnife.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My favorite tang stamp.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

knives-are-quiet wrote:It is RICHARDS........
Some info I found with a quick Google search.......

Richards was founded in the 1930s by two German brothers whose names were actually Paul and Stefan Richartz. They came from Solingen in Germany (like Sheffield a big cutlery manufacturing town) and they brought with them a skilled production engineer, Wilhelm Müller. The name of the firm was changed to Richards just before the Second World War. They mass-produced knives, scissors etc. which had the "lamp-post" trade mark. Their original factory was badly damaged in the war and in 1946 they moved to a new building at 55 Moore Street site - where Wickes is now. It was probably the largest cutlery-manufacturing firm in Sheffield, though the "traditional" cutlers tended to look down on them in view of their cheap, mass-produced output. My brother-in-law was caretaker there in the 1960s, by which time Müller was running the firm; I used to go with him on his rounds and I well remember the "rumblers" that lazarus referred to. Richards was bought out in 1977 by the Imperial Knife Company of the U.S.A. Richards closed in 1983 and the factory was demolished. Wilhelm Müller died aged 77 in 1982.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75429

JW~
That is the stamp,thanks.
Jerry I thought it was a neat stamp too. I'll post a pic of the knife,for a shell handle it is a good made knife. It has 5 tools in all and is new condition.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”