Chinese Marble Jumbo trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Chinese Marble Jumbo trapper

Post by terryl308 »

::dang:: Well I hate to admit it but this jumbo trapper from Marble is a good looking folder, the first thing I did when I bought it was to buff of the "China" mark, it didn't take much effort. I have probably 150 folders and all but two are made in the good ole USA. and that is what I will continue to collect. But I thought I would give the marble a go, just because it caught my eye and appears to be well made. It has some real nice green jig bone scales and brass liners. But--- I haven't used it to check out the steel quality, just commenting on the looks at this time. The other China knife I have is a currently made Schrade trapper and I have used it a lot, don't hold an edge very well, but I don't baby it either. I still like and collect usa made Schrades, Just my observations at this time. Thanks for looking. terry
Attachments
marble trapper 002.JPG
marble trapper 003.JPG
marble trapper 004.JPG
marble trapper 007.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Chinese Marble Jumbo trapper

Post by 1967redrider »

Like that bomb shield and jigging. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

A few years back I bought a Marbles E-toe knife from the Knives Live TV show. I did not realize it was a Chinese made knife until it arrived in the mail. I was disappointed when I found out, but I will have to say it was a beautiful knife with excellent fit and finish. I put it away and have not used it so I can't address blade steel quality. What I can say is it was a good looking knife that seemed to be well made.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That's a good lookin' knife, a real handful. I've cleaned the "CHINA" off several items that I use. I think most folks on AAPK feel the same about China made knives. I bought a Marble Sowbelly for $6 at a flea market and it looks like a decent knife, at least the fit and finish are good, hadn't tried to use it yet. When I'm workin' around the place I usually carry two knives, an old Queen #49 and a Taiwan Buck and you can guess which one gets the most work time. It just feels good to have good one in your pocket ::tu:: and it feels good to abuse something that don't matter :) . It's also surprising how much of a beating this foreign made Buck takes and the blade comes right back with a few strokes on a whet rock.

Bottom line would be a foreign made knife is better than no knife at all but like you, I still prefer the older, made in the USA knives!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

It's got some fine looking bone on it. They may be getting it. I have said it before, companies like Buck and A.G.Russel have had a very good impact on knives from China.

I have this Krieger Damascus blade and buffalo horn handle that my wife got me 4 or 5 years ago,the price was around $45.00. I thought that to be a bit high but after having the knife in hand I have come to like it very much. It is polished inside and out with a beautiful blade of damascus ss.

I don't have a pic but I will get one and post it hear if there is any interest.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I had two Marbles Doctor knives (second one came from being forgetful) and I carried one until I had a brain fart and TSA got it. (that was all 10+ years ago - I still have one of them) As much as I dislike those Pacific Rim knives, it pains me to say it's a pretty good knife. ::facepalm::
Attachments
Marbles - China.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

Although Chinese knives are getting better, I think that they started out like the Japanese products of the 50's. I think that alot of us older guys remember the junk that came from there then, just my opinion. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I agree Ferg. I find many of my opinions are colored by memories from an earlier time.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

:lol: Didn't think I would get this many responses! I guess most of us "knife Nuts" have fallen prey to the Import market from time to time. I think cost is the determining factor for me anyway. I do think the Chinese have gotten a lot better at making quality knives, still like the USA stuff much better, guess I'm too old to change my mind and I too remember all the junk that came from that area a few years back. As always, Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
glenn

Post by glenn »

The Colt Philco sent me is holding up darn well after months of hard use. ::tu:: ::tu::
razor edge

Return to “Chinese-made knives”