HELP please; 1973 case muskrat Delrin with circle shield

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Aronlee

HELP please; 1973 case muskrat Delrin with circle shield

Post by Aronlee »

I have aquired a case muskrat, seven dot. It has the circle around the case on the shield. The book I have says that they changed the shield for Delrin, taking away the circle for Delrin. Bone and natural handles had the circle around the case. I just would like to know its rarity and value. I figured someon on here would know, as I've read alot of posts and this site had people who know what they're talking about. It's near mint with a few black spots. Thanks for any information.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: HELP please; 1973 case muskrat Delrin with circle shield

Post by treefarmer »

Aronlee, that's a good looking Muskrat. According to Mr. Pfeiffer's book, 1974 was the year Case started using the "Composition" shield, so it would appear that your Muskrat is correct.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Actually a very good question. Treefarmer is correct and of course Steve knows more about CASE knives than I ever will. However, as with all things CASE, there are sometimes exceptions to the rule. CASE did use the "Composition Shield on some knives, very few, in 1973' also. I don't think the Muskrat was one of them but who knows.
From what I have seen and according to the books, the CASE 1973' Delrin 6111-1/2L and P172 Buffalo with made in 1973' with the comp and also the non comp shield.There maybe additional patterns also that I am unaware of also. Personally have never seen a P172 example myself but I do own three 1973' 6111-1/2L knives. One is bone, one is delrin with non comp shield and the other is delrin with the comp shield. See the pic below.

The muskrat to my knowledge falls into the "random variation" category as far as delrin being used instead of bone. So with the shield and knife in the OP, I would characterize it as a common production knife, but a fine one at that.

Had the OP knife been a 10 dot Muskrat in Delrin, you would have something scarce for sure. They are 4 times more valuable than a bone 10 dot Muskrat. There are a few other patterns in the 70's where delrin is more valuable than bone also.

More info than you asked for but good to know in my opinion.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE Dot Location Comparison_three known 7 dot_top 2 knives are delrin.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Jerry, I had a seven dot buffalo with the comp shield. It was part of my Shaw-Liebowitz wildlife set.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Good info Tim!

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”