"Crandall" whittler

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
WNY

"Crandall" whittler

Post by WNY »

Good afternoon, gentlemen....

Would anyone care to share their opinions, thoughts, or impressions of the knife shown in the attached photos?
Attachments
Crandall Whittler I.JPG
Crandall Whittler II.jpg
Crandall Whittler III.jpg
Crandall Whittler IV.jpg
Crandall Whittler V.jpg
Crandall Whittler VI.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Crandall" whittler

Post by btrwtr »

Looks a bit newer than I would expect a c.1912 Crandall would look. Rivets appear to be spun and I don't necessarily like that. Not exactly the type of bone jigging I would expect either. Maybe an end pin crack or two which is very common on these tip bolstered knives. All blades are marked which is a good sign but I can't really tell about the stamps.

Maybe someone out there has or has seen a similar Crandall.

Looks to be in super condition.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

The blades look to be in stellar condition, and why I am not opposed to the possibility of it being in that good of shape, it looks to have been professionally cleaned to me. For instance, the file looks like it has age on the file part, but elsewhere on the blades looks fresh and minty.

Great looking knife regardless!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........I've got a 4 line Camillus like it, but it's not in this condition!!!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WNY,I don't have the expert eye these gentlemen have but she sure is a fine looking knife. 8)
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
ronfish
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by ronfish »

Me likey. If I saw it at a knife show, I'd probably buy it.
Ron

WARNING: Knife Addiction in Progress.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I agree with Wayne and I would add the tang stamp looks modern, not what you would expect from a knife supposedly from that era. I am sure I have an original Crandall knife somewhere for comparison but it would probably take me forever to find it.

I am confident this is a counterfeit similar to the stuff Myrtlefaye has been selling for years now on the bay.
AAPK Janitor
WNY

Post by WNY »

Miller Bro`s wrote:I agree with Wayne and I would add the tang stamp looks modern, not what you would expect from a knife supposedly from that era. I am sure I have an original Crandall knife somewhere for comparison but it would probably take me forever to find it.

I am confident this is a counterfeit similar to the stuff Myrtlefaye has been selling for years now on the bay.
First, please allow me to thank you for taking the time to look at the knife and share your respected opinion; I very much appreciate it, sir.

Now, and please understand that this is not meant to dispute anything you've said, but the tang stamp appears to very closely match one shown on page #136 of Mr. Witcher's "Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery" that book claims to be one ten known to have been used by Crandall. I've tried to match them using an image manipulation program and they're about as close as could be considering the less than ideal photographs used. I've learned not to focus too much on the stamp(s), but I am not sure how to view this.

My other concerns, right or wrong, were as follows:

-I've been unable to match the pattern to a known Crandall.

-I've been unable to match the jigging pattern to a known Crandall.

-The pins appear to have been spun.

Again, please understand that I am just trying to learn. Thanks again for your help, sir.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Here are two Crandall's that I have. I got them from Tom Russell and believe them to be authentic. Crandall used at least 15 different stamps during their short time. I am not sure of the stamps but the knives look older than the one posted. I think the secondary blade in the EO is a replacement and is not stamped.

Tom
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
WNY

Post by WNY »

I also want to thank everyone who has taken the time to contribute to this thread. The knife does not belong to me, but is one found on ebay, and I was hoping to either confirm or deny my initial concerns; my apologies for not making this clear from the get-go. The Crandall brand is of great interest to me and I’ve been trying to learn as much as possible, which thus far has been a rather rough road in that there does not seem to be a great deal of information available out there.

I've learned a lot in the time I've spent on this board and for that I sincerely thank all of you.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Old-Cranda ... 1e90bf1a05

olderdogs1 wrote:Here are two Crandall's that I have. I got them from Tom Russell and believe them to be authentic
Now those marks look good to me, big difference from the OP knife.

Thanks for posting those Tom.
AAPK Janitor
WNY

Post by WNY »

olderdogs1 wrote:Here are two Crandall's that I have. I got them from Tom Russell and believe them to be authentic. Crandall used at least 15 different stamps during their short time. I am not sure of the stamps but the knives look older than the one posted. I think the secondary blade in the EO is a replacement and is not stamped.

Tom
Thank you for the correction in regards to the number of stamps used; I had forgotten that the Crandall section in Mr. Sargent's book states 15, while Mr. Witcher's book mentions and shows just ten. Also, thank you for posting the photos; the opportunity to study them is greatly appreciated.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

It was my pleasure to post them, Dimitri. I have always had an interest in the older Case related companies, as well as some other brands.

WNY, you are right in that there isn't a lot of information on Crandall knives out there. Talking to the really knowledgeable folks at knife shows and on this knife site has been my best sources for knife knowledge in general.

Tom

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”