Waterville Cutlery Co.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Another Knife Collector

Waterville Cutlery Co.

Post by Another Knife Collector »

Anybody have any Watervilles to show off? Here's the beginning of my small collection. :)
Attachments
P1020515.JPG
-Phil
Blues

Re: Waterville Cutlery Co.

Post by Blues »

I've only got this one, an E-Z Opener:

Live Free Or Die

Blues' Knife Pix
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Just this one.

Fran
Attachments
Waterville.jpg
Waterville.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Waterville pearl cattle pattern I may have shown this before.

Stockman
Attachments
My Pictures0021.jpg
My Pictures0021.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 8457 times
thawk

Post by thawk »

Nice ones guys! I especially like that little wharncliffe with the pearl handles and the "worm" shield, but they are all nice. The natural bone whittler has some style.
Hal
Another Knife Collector

All of those are some great knives, thanks for showing them! ::tu:: For as long as they were in existance it sure is hard to find one of their knives.
-Phil
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here's probably the smallest Waterville knife you'll ever see.Picked it up years ago with a bunch of other mini knives.Nickel silver scales.
Attachments
WatervilleMini.JPG
WatervilleMini.JPG (29.62 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Another Knife Collector

Some fine knifes all! ::tu:: Now how to convince you to donate them to my collection.......
-Phil
whitebuffalo

Post by whitebuffalo »

Hi, I acquired this knife in an odd lot of items at an estate sale about 10 years ago and have exhausted every resource I can find trying to locate info on it. Including 20 or more guide publications and dozens of internet sites. It is a wharncliffe half whittler with gold lip pearl celluloid handles. No bolsters. It is tang stamped Kirkham & Co., Sheffield on the primary blade and Kirkham, Sheffield England on the secondary blade. I can find absolutely no refrence to the Kirkham name but the odd thing is the waterville name is engraved on the primary blade. ::shrug:: While the waterville name can be traced to sheffield cutlers, i'm not sure if any were actually built in sheffield. The engraving does look hand done but, more proffesionally done than the average person could do. Had I purchased this knife from a dealer, I would be somewhat more suspicious of it's origins but having bought it as an odd item at an estate sale there was nothing to be gained in forging the waterville signature. I guess what i'm trying to find is a link between the Kirkham & Waterville names. Can anyone help?
Attachments
a 225.jpg
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

wekcome buff. interesting. found sheffield kirlhams in sheffield register as taylors, shoe makers but not a cutlery. possibly a coincidence? the etch is a little rough, leading me to believe it was not original to knife. have you ever established kirkham was a cutlery, not a wholesaler? to me, the knife appears to new to be a waterville era knife. it is a handsome knife.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
whitebuffalo

Post by whitebuffalo »

Howdy, 8) I agree, I believe the blades are HC stainless. Not sure who or when SS was first used but likely long after the original watervilles were made. It's pretty unusual not to be able to find ANY info on a maker or purveyor. Especially on a knife of this quality. It really is a well made knife. Thought maybe previous owner might have traced it somehow to waterville and foolishly marked it for future reference, trouble is, he wasn't a collector and probably knew very little about collectible knives. Also tried finding a reference to the names of the original sheffield cutlers who formed Waterville but pulled up empty there to. Thought maybe one of them might be named kirkham. Wondered too, if there was a transition period between the time Waterville ended and New York Knife Co. started but still doubt this knife will date back quite that far. Anyway the mystery continues. I wish I could at least find some info on the Kirkham name, this might help eliminate the possibility of this being a Waterville, not that I really want to. HAHA!
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Here's an interesting one to add to the fine, and rare, old Watervilles we are seeing here!
From old Charlie :oops: , as likely as not, you will see an HJ! But this one is special, about the only toothpick I've ever seen with a punch!
Unfortunately, overcleaned, but proclaimed original "in person" by BRL, at the Oregon show three years ago.
Attachments
Waterville HJ.jpg
Waterville HJ Tang.jpg
Waterville HJ Tang.jpg (63.6 KiB) Viewed 8036 times
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

charlie, you should not hold out on us. what a harness jack!!!!!! and a waterville at that. never saw any thing like that one. thanks.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
whitebuffalo

Post by whitebuffalo »

Nice! ::tu:: Are those wood handles?
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Those are a green swirl celluloid, whitebuffalo! Nice meeting you!
Haven't seen you around before. Are you new here?

1949 - 2009
whitebuffalo

Post by whitebuffalo »

Hey upnorth, I am a rookie! Been collecting knives though for about 12 or 13 years. Mostly a Doc collector but I never met a knife I didn't like. Ya know what I mean? :D Would love to see a Waterville Doc!
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Charlie, Is there any machine work on that Waterville punch blade, or is it flat ground on both sides ? I love that green cell ! ::groove::

Wtbuff, Just a thought...but the engraving on your knife looks to be done with an electric pencil. In the 40's, 50's, and probably before, many gift items were sold at amusement parks, fun fairs, etc., and personalized with an inscription of your choice. I recall ID bracelets being the most common choice, but penknives were also among the offerings. Might explain the "Waterville" on a Sheffield knife.

Fran
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Charlie,
Does that celluloid have a base color under it?
I have a NYK that has similar celluloid on it, however if you look at the edge of the scale, it is red. It almost looks like the color was layered on in the process of making the handles. It has beautiful handles but the blades are mostly gone, the spay & clip broken off.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
whitebuffalo

Post by whitebuffalo »

Hi Fran, I remember those old penknives, I even have a couple in my collection. Most of them are about a level 1-3 knife as far as quality, this one is a solid level 8 by comparison. Also this knife is a full size (3-3/4) wharncliffe, which was a pattern very common to the era. You're probably right though about the "Waterville" being some sort of personalization marking. :( Reckon i'll start concentrating my efforts more towards the "Kirkham" tang stamp to I.D. this knife. Maybe someday i'll find a connection to Waterville but it's looking less likely all the time. Thanks, Rob 8)
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Welcome whitebuffalo!! Anything to do with Buffalo, NY??

Fran, the back of the punch is quite round; D-shaped in cross section. Definitely a punch. Hardly any wear, unlike the blade which is down some.

Dale, the cell has no backer, but I have seen the backers of which you speak, on other knives. Can't think of an example I might have, although I have a tortoise cell that has the usual gold colored back, but you can't see it from the edge.

1949 - 2009
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Dale,

I think some cell was made with a liner. Here's an old Colonial on which you can see the cell wearing away at the corners. Looks like it's laminated to a cardboard type of material. It looks like a very thin masonite.

Fran
Attachments
Colonial Coke Bot..jpg
Colonial stamp.jpg
Colonial cell.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here is a picture to show what I mean.
There seems to be a base color upon which the celluloid is built.

I am not explaining it right, but hopefully you can understand what I am trying to say.

Dale
Attachments
NYK Hammer.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
whitebuffalo

Post by whitebuffalo »

Hi Fran, I feel welcome. Thanks for the kind greets! No, actually I live in southern MO. right in the heart of the Ozark Mnts. 2 miles from Bull Shoals Lake and the AR. border. The whitebuffalo comes from a life long passion and respect for the native american culture. Lets face it they were the earliest custom knifemakers. And I do collect knives from all eras. Heres one example.
a 238.jpg
An early doctors knife I think. HAHA. :lol:
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Ah-hah ! Got it Dale. Don't have any like that....cool.

Hey Whitebuffalo......you have me cornfused with that old guy with the long white beard,
Upnorth...aka Charlie....aka Santa. :lol:

I'm happy to see you here too. I forgot my manners. ::welcome::

Fran
whitebuffalo

Post by whitebuffalo »

Yep, i'm a rookie alright! ::doh:: Is everyone in this forum a Waterville collector? If so maybe someone can tell me if Waterville ever produced a doctors pattern. And are there other forums specific to other brands and patterns? I haven't had much chance to browse around.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”