All About Pocket Knives

All times are UTC

Post subject: English Jacks show yours
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:04 am 

I thought I would start a topic on one of my favoite patterns, English Jacks. Not sure why they are called that need to read levine's again but here are mine. All are stamped with a New York stamp except the Torrey at the end. From left to right, Prentiss, Genco, Levering A-1, E. Felsenheld, Cattaraugus, Utica Salesman Sample, Robeson Salesman Sample, Terrier and Torrey.

Attachments:
englishjacks1.jpg
englishjacks1.jpg [ 836.53 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
englishjacks2.jpg
englishjacks2.jpg [ 742.67 KiB | Viewed 989 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:16 pm 

Great showing of very gorgeous vintage NY jack knives. Some real lookers there. Thank you. Wish I had some like that to show. I'm not familiar (fairly new to collecting) with some of the names there. Utica, Cattaraugus, and Robeson yes, but the others, no. They look much like other US well made knives from the early 1900's. Would be interesting to know if those other names were manufacturers or jobbers. Always fun to learn about those older companies. Will add info if found.

GENEVA CUTLERY COMPANY, GENEVA, NY
c 1902-1935
Originally formed to manufacture steel shears, the company was reorganized in 1902, such that pocket knives and straight razors replaced shears on most of the production lines. By 1912, Geneva was the single largest maker of straight razors in the US. In 1935, the company was sold to the Edward Katzinger Company of Chicago. However, early the next year, the straight razor division and their most popular trademark “Genco” were sold to W.R. Case & Sons of Bradford, PA. Some other trademarks used by Geneva included “Old Dutch”, “De Roma”, and “Seneca Chief”.

Terrier Cutlery Company Knives
Terrier was a premium brand made and distributed by Robeson between 1910 and 1916, just a six year period. However, it was during the time that Robeson was considered one of the two best knife manufacturers in America, and one of the best in the world. The only other American maker that compared was New York Knife Company in Walden, New York.
Really nice Terriers are difficult to find.
http://www.robesonsrme.com/page10.html

TORREY RAZOR CO
Worcester, Massachusetts
ca 1858 - 1963

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:20 pm 

WOW ! Mike, Thanks for sharing those.

Unfortunately the only English Jack I have is a modern one, but I may have to expand my quest for knives across the State Line. :lol:

Looking at these has made me think about my evolving preferences in vintage knives. While many collectors treasure pieces with pearl or stag handles, I'm attracted more and more to the skill and artistry of hand jigged bone. ::ds::

Fran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm 

Here is a Schrade Cut English jack. This is a very nice pattern and one of the more rare. That is a beautiful grouping Mike. Fran I do not remember if I thanked you for the picture you sent I have been a bit busy so thankyou. Eric gave it to me and it is now part of that display group . LT

Attachments:
100_0068.JPG
100_0068.JPG [ 37.61 KiB | Viewed 1579 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:36 pm 

nice ones folks unfortunately this is one pattern I don't have.

Knife Repair, Custom knives and Embellishment

http://muskratmanknives.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:10 pm 

Well I learned something here again today. I went back to my Levine's Guide for a definition of English Jack and I do have one ! An Edw.K.Tryon, Philadelphia, shown before, for opinions of the maker.

Fran

You're welcome LT

Attachments:
Edw.K. Tryon #1.jpg
Edw.K. Tryon #1.jpg [ 632.11 KiB | Viewed 963 times ]
Edw.K. Tryon #2.jpg
Edw.K. Tryon #2.jpg [ 319.07 KiB | Viewed 971 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:17 pm 

Galvanic1882,
Great knives! ::tu::

Sauconian wrote:
Well I learned something here again today. I went back to my Levine's Guide for a definition of English Jack and I do have one !

And what exactly is that definition..?

When I hear “English Jack” I get pictures in my head, but I don't know for sure what distinctions to look for…

A knifeless man is a lifeless man - Old Nordic proverb.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 pm 

Those are some real nice ones fellows. Definately not a kind you see everyday. ::tu::

Blade's Guide To Knives and Their Values says an English jack is a deluxe large size (over 4in.) slim regular or sleeveboard jack knife. They often have fancy bolsters, premium handle materials and locking master blades. It later says they got their name because most large jack knives in the 18th and 19th centuries imported from England fit the definition. It's a good book to have, I would recommend it.

Here's my rather plain old Holley english jack. :)

Attachments:
P1030389_edited-1.jpg
P1030389_edited-1.jpg [ 261.08 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:50 pm 

Mike, that's truly a beautiful collection. Nice condition, rare knives; collector's Heaven!
Here are a few more to see; a Schrade Cut, a Schrade Walden, and a modern Schatt. All are a hair over 4 1/2".

Attachments:
EnglishJacks.jpg
EnglishJacks.jpg [ 312.02 KiB | Viewed 969 times ]

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:53 pm 

We posted at the same time, AKC! There is nothing plain about having a Holley English Jack!! Outstanding rare knife!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:20 pm 

Would the 5" "Daddy Barlow" pattern fit into this category? They have a longer bolster and no cap, but seem to fit the description. Just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:35 pm 

Another Knife Collector wrote:
Blade's Guide To Knives and Their Values says an English jack is a deluxe large size (over 4in.) slim regular or sleeveboard jack knife. They often have fancy bolsters, premium handle materials and locking master blades. It later says they got their name because most large jack knives in the 18th and 19th centuries imported from England fit the definition. It's a good book to have, I would recommend it.

Thanks for the info!

I've seen Blade's Guide advertised and I will get a copy. What's the connection between Levine's Guide and Blade's Guide..? Nearly the same name... I've got a copy of Levine's Guide somewhere…

Great old knife! ::tu::

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:49 pm 

thawk wrote:
Would the 5" "Daddy Barlow" pattern fit into this category? They have a longer bolster and no cap, but seem to fit the description. Just curious.

I guess the Daddy Barlow is not called an English Jack mainly because this distinct pattern has a name of its own… ::hmm::

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:00 pm 

Three what I think are English Jacks The center is a old vintage Remington the other two
are Challenge. I hope you can work with the pictures.

Stockman

Attachments:
My Pictures0116.jpg
My Pictures0116.jpg [ 179.06 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:56 pm 

upnorth wrote:
There is nothing plain about having a Holley English Jack!! Outstanding rare knife!!
upnorth wrote:
Thanks upnorth, I wish I could find more in the condition of your Schrades, they're great! :shock: ::tu::

Stockman, that single bolster Challenge shure is a beauty! :D

Froggyedge wrote:
What's the connection between Levine's Guide and Blade's Guide..? Nearly the same name... I've got a copy of Levine's Guide somewhere…

I don't have a copy of Levine's yet so I'm not sure what connection there may be. ::shrug::

thawk wrote:

I think the only thing that seperates that catagories is bolster length. (maybe the daddy barlows would be another good topic to start ::tu:: )