Western knife question

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Mountainwind

Western knife question

Post by Mountainwind »

I know that knives labeled as WW, were Western Wood, but was does WD stand for. I presume it is Western Delrin.
OLDSMOKE

Re: Western knife question

Post by OLDSMOKE »

I did some digging and came up with an old western that I was wondering if someone might know where to find a new blade for it and it used to have a hatchet that fit the handle but it is deep in the Beaver Lake Arkansas, that is a long story that I will have to put in the off topics one of these days.
The blade is still very stable and just two years ago it helped to skin out 23 fairly good sized dear, one of my Uncles and I dressed out ours and a few of our neihbors deer.
Enjoy The Day Folks
Rusty
Westernhatchetskinner.jpg
Westernhatchetskinner.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
WesternHS.jpg
WesternHS.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE, DON'T HUNT WHAT YOU CAN'T KILL.
Mountainwind

Post by Mountainwind »

I have a H48A that broke in the same place. I guess this may have been a design problem.
OLDSMOKE

Post by OLDSMOKE »

I broke this one throwing it at one of my brothers, it stuck in a barn door that he had run through and shut behind him, real fast. LOL.
I had good reason as he had just stabbed me in the leg with an ole bundle fork, (three pronged pitch fork) after I had shot him in the back with a 44 cal.Star cap and ball pistol.
It did not work quite like you might think, it was old and I had used some smokeless powder in it, I had not learned my lesson with Granddads old shotgun and it had been a while since the shotun incident.
The barrel was buldged a little and the hammer had been blown off, I have a crease over one eyebrow from it still, but if you take and plug up the nipples and put a firecracker down in the barrel and set a marble in the end of the barrel this will keep the fuse sticking out and when you light the fuse the marble will drop down into the barrel, you have to be fast to aim but there you go.
Better than a dogwood tree and an old innertube, LOL
Enjoy The Day
Rusty
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE, DON'T HUNT WHAT YOU CAN'T KILL.
Mountainwind

Post by Mountainwind »

Some things in life are just down right funny.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”