Questions on old Kabar knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
chgo29

Questions on old Kabar knife

Post by chgo29 »

I recently bought an old Kabar pocket knife at an estate auction. It was dirty and grungy - probably old I thought - but it cleaned up pretty nice. But I'm a newbie collector and I'm wondering about two things. Is there any way to "date" a Kabar knife? And, what is that kind of dagger like blade with the grooves used for? Can any of you more experienced knife guys help me out? I don't know if I'm going to be able to insert any pix - but, if not, the tang is stamped Kabar 1110 U.S.A. Thanks - Cliff

[/img]
Attachments
knife 3.jpg
knife 3.jpg (97.55 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
knife 2.jpg
knife 2.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
knife 1.jpg
knife 1.jpg (84.8 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
cliff
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

welcome cliff, can't date your knife but the blade in question is a leather punch. nice knife.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Well, if you're willing to read a "WAG"...here goes.

I have a knife (pictured below) with similar scales and a similar stamp and pattern number.

+It has Delrin handles, like yours' appear to be...so that makes it at least early '60s, when folks began using Dupont Delrin for handle material. However, if they (the handles) have pores, and are bone.....then maybe that is a clue. ::shrug::

+The 4 digit numbering doesn't match up with older numbering for Kabars. ::shrug::

+Cole National bought Kabar in 1966...so I'm going with after 1966 at the earliest.

Maybe a contract knife made FOR Kabar after they quit making their own knives in the '70s.....but that is just supposition on my part. Also, it is interesting that your knife has only the backspring pin and no others. Maybe that will trigger further information from someone else??

Bill
Attachments
Kabar 1071 small Stockman.jpg
Kabar 1071 small Stockman.jpg (29.7 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

That punch looks like a Camillus to me. jmo
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”