"House Brand" Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Dan97526

"House Brand" Knives

Post by Dan97526 »

As I stated in my ax thread, I have a special place in my heart for Ward's. My grandfather worked for MW, so everything we had was from Wards. Western Field, Hawthorne, Powr-Kraft, Admiral, the list goes on; very high quality merchandise.

I don't think I every had a Wards pocketknife, though. I was a Schrade guy; bought all my knives from Bi-Mart (Northwesterners will know it - kind of a regional proto-Costco except they sell 'politically incorrect' stuff. Great store.). Anyway, I just corrected that oversight.

I like this old cattle knife. From my research, it's likely a Kutmaster/Utica. "451" is stamped on the reverse of the clip blade.

So, tell us about your "house brands!"

Dan

Edited the title, so as not to imply this was only for Wards.
Attachments
Wards Cattle 01.jpg
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

my ward's - made in u.s.a. nothing on the small blade.
Attachments
wards.JPG
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

The first is a Kent, a Woolworth's brand. Made by Camillus according to Levine's. It's an inexpensive knife, but I like it because of it's unused condition, and because the handles are so period.

The second, a 3" pen, although an advertising knife, may also be a house brand for a long gone local Dept., or Sporting Goods store. Marked Germany on the back of the small blade, and probably made by Peres, it is also stamped L.F. Grammes & Sons on both tangs. I'll have to research that business, my next trip to the library.

Can anyone tell me if it was common for the business name to be tang stamped on an advertising knife ?

Fran
Attachments
Grammes & Sons.jpg
100_0694.jpg
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

I got a strange looking Wards knife.. :?
Attachments
100_0308.JPG
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "House Brand" Knives

Post by knifeaholic »

Dan97526 wrote:As I stated in my ax thread, I have a special place in my heart for Ward's. My grandfather worked for MW, so everything we had was from Wards. Western Field, Hawthorne, Powr-Kraft, Admiral, the list goes on; very high quality merchandise.

I don't think I every had a Wards pocketknife, though. I was a Schrade guy; bought all my knives from Bi-Mart (Northwesterners will know it - kind of a regional proto-Costco except they sell 'politically incorrect' stuff. Great store.). Anyway, I just corrected that oversight.

I like this old cattle knife. From my research, it's likely a Kutmaster/Utica. "451" is stamped on the reverse of the clip blade.

So, tell us about your "house brands!"

Dan

Edited the title, so as not to imply this was only for Wards.

That knife was actually made by Winchester for Wards circa 1930's. Winchester made quite a few knives for MW with the WARDS stamping. After WWII, Utica made them (like the jigged black handled knife posted).

Then circa 1960's to early 1070's, Camillus made knives for MW with the POWR KRAFT tang stamp and blade etch. In my experience, these are pretty scarce.

Going back earlier than the Winchester, MW had knives marked with the LAKESIDE brand. At least some of these were made by Challenge.

I have also seen a (very) few knives stamped "MONTGOMERY WARD" (in an arc) over "& COMPANY"...I believe that these are the earliest.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Hey johnnierotten...

I've got what appears to be the same knife. Mine is marked Utica, like knifeaholic mentioned.

Bill
Attachments
Utica.jpg
Utica.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Yep..looks like the same knife!! ::tu:: Now I know who actually made it!! 8)I always thought it was Imperial or Camillus.
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

All:
No need in starting a new topic as this is perfect place for my newest acquisition. Looks to be a Camillus. What is the truth? Reverse of Spear stamped 84-60. Discernible WARDS POWR KRAFT on obverse. POWR-KRAFT over U.S.A. on tang
Attachments
img390ss.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Maybe we should start a club ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Kutmaster - Utica.jpg
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Okay with me.
This one has a very rare tang stamp. General Store over Indian Coup Clubs(Probably made by the Royal Society of Shamans during the Era of didn't have much to do). The lettering is so small you just welll you just have to imagine it. :roll:
moss
Attachments
War Club 002c.jpg
War Club 002c.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM

Return to “General Knife Discussion”