L F & C ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

L F & C ?

Post by Jody744 »

tell me everything- I found one at an antique store for $15, but the main blade is badly broken. Other than that, cool knife-DaveO has one similar in the a-z knife thread. Forgot to write down the pattern # on back of blade.... I would just like to know about them, never heard of before.
THANKS!
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

Jody,

Landers, Frary,& Clark was a merger of companys in Connecticut known primarily for housewares. They date to the 1800's, and manufactured pocket knives around the first third of the twentieth century, and used a blade etch of "Universal."

The collector value is pretty good, and their steel must have been as well, because I've found a couple that still had a very sharp edge on them.

If you don't have any collector books, try a search. You should come up with more and better info.

Fran
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

What Fran said, I agree...

I consider them to be somewhat of a "sleeper", on the collector market. They can still be had, for reasonable prices, and the quality is darn good, for a carrying knife.

It's all my brother (who's not a collector) will carry. I just bought him a nice scout pattern, with rough-black handles, for $25. Still in very useable condition. It was sittin' beside a 4-line Camillus, in the same condition, marked $50, and a Rem (but with bone handles), for $85.

The broken blade on your find will significantly reduce the value, of course. A replacement blade would be 'almost' unobtainium, tho'. Keep looking, they're out there.

Smiling JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I have a few and I really like them. Well made knives, take a very good edge. Here is a rough black barehead jack I have. Still searching for an LF&C Hawkbill.

Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I agree with what has already been said and would add that L.F.&C. specialized in the rough black handles as shown byMM's example.

I just went back over my small collection of L.F.&C.'s and noted that I have 6 handled in rough black, 2 in pearl and one wooden handled. I wouldn't say that they didn't make knives handled in bone, stag, or celluloid, I'm sure they did, however, they seemed to speciaize in rough black. I seem to remember reading somewhere that L.F.&C. bought a company that owned a patent for a rough black material.

Their rough black material was also unique in that it was made of rubber or a synthetic similar to rubber. When I squeeze the handles of knives handled in this material it seems to be a little softer than normal rough black, not that I spend much time squeezng knife handles, mind you.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

...not that I spend much time squeezng knife handles, mind you.

:shock: :shock: ::paranoid::

:lol: :lol:

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
Sauconian

Post by Sauconian »

...not that I spend much time squeezng knife handles, mind you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Anything like love handles ?

Kaleb.........Like this ?

Fran
Attachments
LF & C Hawk.jpg
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

L,F,&C made knives in many handle materials and patterns.Some of the ones I own are engraved stainless steel and sterling silver.I also have a pair of poultry shears with MOP scales(!)and a beautiful 3 piece stag cutlery set.
Attachments
CutlerySet1.JPG
CutlerySet1.JPG (35.91 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
LF&CPoultryShears2.JPG
LF&CPoultryShears2.JPG (32.14 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
LF&CPoultryShears1.JPG
LF&CPoultryShears1.JPG (27.71 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
LFCSterlingSilver.JPG
LFCSterlingSilver.JPG (34.08 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
LFC3blade1.JPG
LFC3blade1.JPG (35.64 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

L,F,&C made knives in many handle materials and patterns.Some of the ones I own are engraved stainless steel and sterling silver.I also have a pair of poultry shears with MOP scales(!)and a beautiful 3 piece stag cutlery set.
Attachments
LFandCAetnaWorks1.JPG
LFandCAetnaWorks1.JPG (37.19 KiB) Viewed 12532 times
LF&CPoultryShears2.JPG
LF&CPoultryShears2.JPG (32.14 KiB) Viewed 12532 times
LF&CPoultryShears1.JPG
LF&CPoultryShears1.JPG (27.71 KiB) Viewed 12532 times
LFCSterlingSilver.JPG
LFCSterlingSilver.JPG (34.08 KiB) Viewed 12532 times
LFC3blade1.JPG
LFC3blade1.JPG (35.64 KiB) Viewed 12532 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Sauconian wrote:...not that I spend much time squeezng knife handles, mind you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Anything like love handles ?

Kaleb.........Like this ?

Fran
Yes! :mrgreen:
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Here is a big hunka Jack from LF&C. Well made, and though used, still operates like new. Great half stops and snap.
I like the deep etch they use (or maybe a fine stamp?). It doesn't rub off when you use the knife. This has a different version of their synthetic stag. It feels quite hard, almost as brittle as bone. It's black with a brown underlayer.
Attachments
LF&C universalBack.jpg
LF&C universal.jpg
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Thanks! I still think $15 was too high, may go and offer $5 this weekend...just really liked the look and feel of it, now I can look for more.
Every search I ran brought up pages of kitchen cutlery or accessories....
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
junebug

Re: L F & C ?

Post by junebug »

I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD TREAD!!!!!!! but i personally love L.F.&C. or (LF&C , LF &C ,LFC) AND COLLECT THEM(any for sale/trade???)!!!! :mrgreen: i think there great vintage EDC knives!!!! this tread started almost 1 yr. ago on my b-day!!!!! ::tu:: jan. 28th woot woot!!!!
here is what i know of company........
organized in 1865 in new britain, conn. when two companies joined (LANDERS and SMITH...WITH...FRARY and CAREY) with james d. frary as pres. and clark as the firms attorney..........and w/ major prod. in kitchen/table wear.... james frary the co. pres. patented a hollow handle knife in 1869......in 1871 his patent for making bolsters from sheet metal as well as other innovations for pocket knife making led him to resign & open his own co. (frary cutlery co. in bridgeport conn, .......his co. lasted from 1876-1884...... landers , frary and clark grew into a major cutlery producer and co. name was shortened to L.F.&C. in 1898(another book says 1897???)....using the trade name UNIVERSAL (purchased from universal knife co.)leading them to be the largest producer of cutlery in the world!!!! LF&C entered into entered into pocket knife production in 1912......... that same year they purchased the HUMASON & BECKLEY MANUFACTURING CO.using that production plant and used that co.s' knife patterns also adding there own and new ones to line up........another major purchase in 1918(another book says 1866???) was the MERIDEN CUTLERY CO. ......... in 1950 L.F.&C. OF NEW BRITAIN ,CONNECTICUT discontinued its cutlery division :cry: they also used the " H & B " trademark along w/ the "lf&c" trademark.......
in 1950 cutlery div. was discontinued ......
in 1965 all additional assets were sold to GENERAL ELECTRIC CORP.

THIS INFO ARE IN TWO BOOKS I HAVE:
11TH ADD. COLLECTOR KNIVES C. HOUSTON PRICE PAGE 324-325

6TH ED. KNIFE COLL. GUIDE RON STEWART PAGE 295
HOPE THIS HELPS IN FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
junebug

Post by junebug »

::ds:: update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanx to "knife7knut" we now know they also had a marking of "aetna works" thanx k7k......... ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
jerseyjimlive

Post by jerseyjimlive »

Hope I got the photo attachments of the Universal Cutlery pocket knife dealer display case loaded okay. Yeh it looks good.

Jerseyjim
Attachments
IMG_0034[1].JPG
IMG_0036[1].JPG
IMG_0035[1].JPG
IMG_0035[1].JPG
IMG_0026[1].JPG
IMG_0008[1].JPG
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Nice countertop display. These are getting harder and harder to find. If your intentions are to load it up, checkout my LF&C knives in my AAPK store, I can hook you up!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Tom
AAPK Administrator

jerseyjimlive

Post by jerseyjimlive »

to bestgear;

Yes the ebay listing of the 'High Grade Universal Cutlery' 24 knife dealer display case is my listing. Just thought I would get a feel for the response for this almost forgotten manufacturer on this site.

Jim
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

All good Jim / and I think your price is in the ballpark. I'll keep watching it to see how it ends. Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Robert1652

Post by Robert1652 »

I have 1 for sale if anyone would like to purchase it you can message me back at Robert165222@gmail.com I can send pics I'm new to this site I will try to upload pics if I can
Attachments
Images of knife
Images of knife
Images of Engraving
Images of Engraving
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Robert1652 wrote:I have 1 for sale if anyone would like to purchase it you can message me back at Robert165222@gmail.com I can send pics I'm new to this site I will try to upload pics if I can
Hey Robert, welcome to AAPK. Look around the forums and see what might pic your interest. As far as selling things here I think you need to be a supporting member to be able to sell. Look up to the top tool bar on the right and it list the ways to support. Thanks, hope to see you around. ::handshake::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome.

Just FYI, selling in the discussion forums is frowned upon, too.

There are forums for that purpose.

Not fussing, just informing.

I got ripped pretty badly when I first joined for doing similar.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”