Schrade stockman w/ wood scales

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
kootenay joe

Re: Schrade stockman w/ wood scales

Post by kootenay joe »

I thought the LB7 handles were impregnated wood; impregnated with a preservative might make it harder to whittle ?
kj
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

I think the LB7 scales were stabilized wood. But it ain't nuttin I can't cut with a edge I put on a blade. 8) ::nod::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Great old knifes ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

kootenay joe wrote:I thought the LB7 handles were impregnated wood; impregnated with a preservative might make it harder to whittle ?
kj
The LB7 handles were laminated wood sheets, like plywood but a lot more layers. I've got an untrimmed piece around here somewhere I'll have to dig up. There were a few exceptions like some of the special editions with curly maple, etc.

Eric
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

kootenay joe wrote:Here are a few Chicago Cutlery branded knives.
kj
Did schrade make this brand? There's a chicago cutlery stockman on ebay with a fantastic saber ground and swedged master blade, if it's a schrade......well you know what I'd do :roll:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Schrade did make folding knives for Chicago Cutlery. We now know this includes Camillus and possibly Imperial as the work was sometimes farmed out to one of these other 2 companies likely depending upon work load.
The CC stockman most likely came from Schrade. Some people can differentiate a Schrade from Camillus made knife by the length of the swage on the clip blade. I cannot tell which is which because i collect both.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Love them all.
Keep Near the Cross.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

gwelker62: Question: Do you have a favorite knife brand for your carving work? What might that (they) be? Thanks.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”