New guy question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
NordicThunder

New guy question

Post by NordicThunder »

I have been tasked by my father to see if I can sell some pocket knives. He has collected a lot of things, was kind of into knives for a while. Is there a place on this forum that I can post pictures for someone to give me a ballpark value of a knife? He has written down some prices, but I think he may be shooting a little high on some, just not sure. thank you in advance for your time!

Steve
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New guy question

Post by Miller Bro's »

::welcome::

We have an advertising forum below, if you have questions about them ask right here. Post pictures we like pictures ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome to AAPK! ::tu::

As far as finding the prices of the knives, I would suggest looking at eBay for the sold listings, type in the knife that you have, such as a Buck 110 and then search for the sold listings of Buck 110. That will give you an idea of the range of prices that a Buck 110 sells for. You will have to find the knives that are in similar condition to the one that you’re trying to sell and that will give you a rough idea of what you can expect to get from the knife or if you’re trying to buy one that will tell you roughly how much you should expect to pay for a similar knife.
Most of us here on AAPK use exactly this method of finding prices. The days of pricelists have pretty much gone by the wayside. By the time the pricelists are published there out of date. You can check eBay for sold listings and have a real time value for certain knives.

We do have an advertising forum on AAPK but it’s really not intended for the sale of entire collections. It’s more of a tool for our members to sell a few knives from time to time

If you have a substantial number of knives to sell you can click on the sell button at the upper left portion of the page, above the AAPK logo. That will give you information on establishing a store at AAPK, and it will tell you what the requirements are to open an AAPK store. The AAPK stores only charging 3% commission, far less than eBay charges and you are reaching an audience that is interested in knives.

Aside from the AAPK stores there is eBay and local knife shows. If you live in an area with good local knife shows, that may be the fastest way to sell a collection. A lot of people want to sell an entire collection in one transaction, but generally you will not get nearly as much money from an entire collection as you would by selling individual knives.

If you have more questions feel free to ask or contact myself or one of the other AAPK Administrators.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
NordicThunder

Post by NordicThunder »

:D
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Posting photos here is a very easy, here's a link on how to post them. We do not allow photo hosting sites on AAPK because when the person drops the account the pictures disappear. We want the pictures here so that people can use our site for research years from now to see what a particular pattern looked like.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 98&t=50258

We cannot view the Photobucket links you posted because we are not signed in as you, And I really doubt you want to make your password public! :shock:

The link above should explain how to post pictures on AAPK. It is so simple it almost seems too easy.
If you have any more problems let someone know, you can send a PM directly to my, I am one of the administrators here.

Welcome aboard,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
NordicThunder

Post by NordicThunder »

I trust you guys!! :)

OK, I'll give that a go, thanks for the info!
NordicThunder

Post by NordicThunder »

Ok, how about these??
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1737.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jack Knife Ben/Chicago, very collectible and looks to be in good condition. I am not familiar with value of these but someone here does know and will give you a reliable assessment as to market value.

Knife collecting seems to be becoming less popular. As such the prices most collectible knives sell for are lower now than at any time in the last 20-30 years.
Fakes abound. Most collectors have a few that they are unaware of.
Condition is most important. A never used close to 'mint' knife can bring 2-3x the amount of the same knife lightly used.
Blade action (opening & closing snap and smoothness) and presence/absence of any play when blade fully open should be stated.

I hope you post many knives here. It will be fun to see what your dad has and to hear what others might have to say about them.
kj
NordicThunder

Post by NordicThunder »

What needs to be shown in pictures in order for people to get a good idea about the knife? Does every blade need to be measured? pictures of every blade, or just with the knife open? So many questions :)

Thank you for the help so far!!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The length of the knife, closed, is what most would like to know.

The stamps on the tangs are important.

And photos showing the blades open so as to assess wear, use, abuse, etc. On knives with blades at both ends, do not open two blades that bear on the same spring. It might fracture.

Condition of handles, i.e. chips, cracks, wear, etc.

We have a Jack Knife Ben collector and expert here. Maybe he'll come along. There are a lot of counterfeit JKB knives out their. He'll let you know about that one.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nordic Thunder, while we wait for a JKB 'expert' to show up, how about posting pics of a few more knives. They might be easier ones to assess than the JKB which is a bit obscure, not many of us are truly familiar with those knives.
I would like to see more of your father's knives as would others here. We enjoy looking at pictures of knives.
kj
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I can't help you with prices but the knife is authentic and desirable amongst collectors.
AAPK Janitor
NordicThunder

Post by NordicThunder »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on prices for these knives on the internet.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Pricing for vintage knives is in part dependent on condition. There are a few books that are "Price Guides" that will give price ranges for many different knives. The range will be from a well used to never used example. However these are all out of date so the actual prices are not of much help. But the relative pricing helps, that is, if a certain pattern Case knife is shown as being worth 3x that of a different Case pattern in same condition, then you at least know which is the higher value knife.
Ebay can be helpful. Do ebay searches for the knives you have and save these searches and watch the knives it brings up and see what they sell for. After a few months you will have some idea of current market value for at least some of your knives.
Or, post them here and with input from various members you will have some accurate price information.
Most of us watch knives on ebay and have done so for many years and so are fairly familiar with prices for most vintage knives (except Jack Knife Ben).
kj
NordicThunder

Post by NordicThunder »

IMG_1748.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
NordicThunder

Post by NordicThunder »

There a couple of these on eBay, one for $75 and the other for $130. My guess is that these would be somewhere between those. ?? Maybe they are both over priced :shock:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Camco Lone Ranger knives from 1950's (maybe early '60's). Red one is missing a bolster = loose about 50%; Black one likely would sell for ~ $30.
These are low value novelty knives and not at all rare.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”