Schrade stockman w/ wood scales

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gwelker62

Schrade stockman w/ wood scales

Post by gwelker62 »

Picked up some various left over Schrade scales recently. Got these that look like wood to me. I don't recall any stockman frame Schrades that had wood. What you experts say of these?
Attachments
IMAG0655.jpg
tongueriver

Re: Schrade stockman w/ wood scales

Post by tongueriver »

Several SFOs in the last years, Sears for sure. Maybe the tobacco companies, Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, etc., etc. These are just suggestions, but Sears is for sure.
truck

Post by truck »

Ducks Unlimited for sure also, although the ones I've seen appeared to be oak.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Craftsman 95235
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

That Craftsman looks like it has brass bolsters?

I've look for an example of a DU stockman with this dark wood and nickel silver bolsters and haven't found any yet.
truck

Post by truck »

gwelker62 wrote:I've look for an example of a DU stockman with this dark wood and nickel silver bolsters and haven't found any yet.
My only DU has lighter (oak?) covers and brass bolsters.
Attachments
IMG_1169.JPG
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

That DU looks like it uses the 34OT sized frame and these scales....
Attachments
DU scales.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Could very well have been meant for Frontier branded knives as well.
Attachments
frontier.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Schrade USA SC505 which is an 8OT frame. With mosaic pins and most beautiful wood i think this likely is customer customized.
I think it might be Desert Ironwood burl. Please correct if you see it as some other wood.
kj
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is a Schrade USA SC505 which is an 8OT frame. With mosaic pins and most beautiful wood i think this likely is customer customized. I think it might be Desert Ironwood burl. Please correct if you see it as some other wood. kj
I am sure that it is indeed ironwood. Beautiful custom! I especially like the absence of the shield, which are usually tacky things. That is one nice knife. ::tu::
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Those mosaic pins are nice. Been thinking about trying em out. I bet they would look sharp on the slip joints, but not sure how that would work out though. Don't think ya can peen them in place can ya?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mosaic pins are often used by custom knife makers so ask one of them about peening.
Here are 3 more relatively recent wood handled Schrades.
The Texas Ranger 4 1/8" Trapper is a beauty and one that is rarely seen. Maybe not many were sold ?
The 2 blade Jack is an 8OT frame and might be an EOD knife as i do not recall this as a Schrade pattern.
The Ducks Unlimited 'Muskrat' is unique with the gut hook blade which has a liner lock. I think it is from ~ 2000 and is not an EOD assembly. Very 'neat' knife.
Great wood handles in all 3. Too bad Schrade did not make more 'woodies'.
kj
Attachments
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 013.jpg
Picture 014.jpg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Those scales look a lot like knives made for Chicago cutlery. I remember hearing schrade made some knives for them in the 80's. I have a single blade hunter with wood handles. It has a schrade+ stamp and very thin profile. The wood grain is pretty distinctive. Could be a lot of things, the ducks unlimited seems likely also.
Jay
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
These are some pics that I saved from the web. Some patterns look a lot like Camillus made knives.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Chicago Cutlery slipjoints & lockbacks all have wood handles and were made by both Schrade & Camillus.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kootenay joe wrote:Mosaic pins are often used by custom knife makers so ask one of them about peening.
kj
I never peen mosaic pins. They are only glued in place.
It you peen them you mess up the pattern.

The epoxy I use is good enough I don't need pins but they are traditional. Bear & Sons doesn't use pins but it doesn't look right to me.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

KJ, do those scales look similar to the Chicago knives to you?
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Closest example to the scales I have pictured in the OP is that jack posted by joe. But it may well be a EOD knife or an assembled from spare parts knife like I am preparing to do.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are a few Chicago Cutlery branded knives.
kj
Attachments
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 001.jpg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very nice KJ
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you. I think some of these Chicago Cutlery knives have Walnut wood for handles. If there is a wood 'expert' here i would like to hear their assessment as to which wood these handles are.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you. I think some of these Chicago Cutlery knives have Walnut wood for handles. If there is a wood 'expert' here i would like to hear their assessment as to which wood these handles are. kj
Roland, I am not an expert but I think you are right about the walnut. I have some kitchen knives by Chicago (with which I am not impressed) with the same wood. That is quite a batch of Chicagos which you have. Geographically speaking, I suspect you have some Ontarios? :D I once had an LB-8 Schrade lockback in genuine stag made for the Calgary Stampede which I gave away. Don't know about any B.C.s.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Yes walnut sounds about right. Looking back at the original scales posted it is hard to tell if they are walnut also. Not sure if that is the best choice of handle material for kitchen cutlery. I do know that schrade made a significant push into the kitchen cutlery market and it does not seem to get talked about much.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives came with my ex wife when we got married 41 years ago. I still use them (chef, boner, fish, etc) and think they are excellent.
I have a stag LB7-8 commemorating something in Alberta as well, not the Stampede, some other celebration.
Pretty well no Ontarios, that's too far East for a BC'er.
kj

p.s. if you want to buy a batch of Chicago Cutlery folders let me know. Ya seen the pics, now see the real thing !
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Me thinks the scales I got posted might be a rosewood. Or at least the same as what the LB7 came with. Been carving on one of them to see how a 'whittled' look, looked like. Got 6 sets, so I can afford to experiment on a couple of scales. It behaves like seasoned hickory when cutting it.
Attachments
carved scales.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”