Saw this in an antique store today

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Saw this in an antique store today

Post by glennbad »

I saw this Randall today in a case at an antique store. No, I didn't buy it, I was a few bucks short, LOL. I just thought I would share it, as I was amused by the size of it. I assume it's legit, but I wouldn't really know if it wasn't. Neat conversation piece though... :shock:

Randall.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Saw this in an antique store today

Post by carrmillus »

....probably costs as much as a tap-dancing elephant!!!....... :shock: ........
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

carrmillus wrote:....probably costs as much as a tap-dancing elephant!!!....... :shock: ........
And about as useful. The only person that would take that into the field is either someone that doesn't know knives, or is rich beyond belief.

I see that as a museum piece... nothing more.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

If I am not mistaken that knife(or it's twin)along with a similar Arkansas Toothpick was made for a Randall Knife dealer(Dick Van Sickle)in San Angelo Texas. Supposedly he was the largest purveyor of Randall knives at the time(late 1960's or early 70's).I think that handle is "Pachyderm Canine Projection" which may make it difficult to sell.
EDIT: That price really isn't out of line for that model Randall;I'm surprised it is still there.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

carrmillus wrote:....probably costs as much as a tap-dancing elephant!!!....... :shock: ........
tommy.. That's funny!! :lol: :lol: I needed that laugh!!!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kamagong

Post by kamagong »

Captain O wrote:And about as useful.
What does usefulness have to do with anything? This site is populated by collectors, folks with more knives than they can use up in a thousand years.

I like her, I think she's a beaut.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In the 1980 Randall catalog, the Model 12 Raymond Thorpe Bowie cost $230. Translated to todays dollars that equals $679.96
Attachments
Model 12 Bowies.jpeg
Randall 1980 Price List #1.jpeg
Randall 1980 Price List #2.jpeg.jpeg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

kamagong wrote:
What does usefulness have to do with anything? This site is populated by collectors, folks with more knives than they can use up in a thousand years.

I apologize. When you get to my age and beyond, one doesn't collect too much. Utility trumps collectibility every time. (I can't take it with me and I have no one to whom I can pass it on).
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kamagong wrote: What does usefulness have to do with anything? This site is populated by collectors, folks with more knives than they can use up in a thousand years.
That is certainly true for me.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Imagine bringing that out to cut your steak at the local steak house!!! ::tounge:: :lol:

I do like it for what it is!!! KOOL!!! 8) John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I think it's cool as heck! Useful? I guess it depends on what you're doing with it. But useful and need are at best secondary considerations.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Not a big fan of monster (10"+ blade) Bowies, overall, but I am interested in that DeLeon fighting knife that seems to be away from its sheath in that photo... :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Captain O wrote:
kamagong wrote:

I apologize. When you get to my age and beyond, one doesn't collect too much. Utility trumps collectibility every time. (I can't take it with me and I have no one to whom I can pass it on).
I'm just the opposite. In my younger years owning a knife was all about utility and didn't have more than a dozen or so at any given time. Now that I'm older I want to collect them for the appreciation of their beauty, craftsmanship, and history. May not be able to take em with me when I pass, but they can go to someone else who appreciates em like I do.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:
kamagong wrote: What does usefulness have to do with anything? This site is populated by collectors, folks with more knives than they can use up in a thousand years.
That is certainly true for me.
Are you sure Cal? :lol:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to hear from a dedicated Randall collector. All never used older Randalls are valuable and certain ones highly so. In general the large Randalls are some of the most collectible (i.e. most expensive). It is possible that the value is 2-3x the $1575 asking price.
If someone here is a BF member you could post the picture in the Randall Collectors forum and see how excited the Randall boyz get.
kj
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Very cool knife, what was the intended purpose for one that big?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
cato

Post by cato »

not sure on use, but everyone looking at it so far must be average in stature ..

i gave a young man i was working with, a congress from Italy can not remember maker..
but , it was large like 5 and 3/4 inches closed, and was a perfect fit, he made a 88 look like a 3 1/2 inch gentlmens congress..
so when you are looking at these large knives, you need to imagine these guys are 6 ft 10 in or better
that they may have been made for

cato
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I know little or nothing about the value of Randall knives. Handle on this one is old ivory micarta. I would guess by virtue of size and retail price at the time of initial purchase the knife would be a prize for a Randall collector. Deleon Knives are quite collectable as well.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some Randall and Ruana bowies were certainly going to Vietnam in that time frame. Although big knives do duty for chopping stuff and picking your nose and makin' bacon', the USUAL reason for them was to kill people and to save your own hide. And lots of cutleries like Bark River and many many custom makers are still turning the big boys out. They just look cool, if nothing else. And of course dandelion season is near upon us.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thank you. That would be an awesome weapon, like a Viking seaxe. Could probably use them for butchering too? I'd like to see what it would feel like to handle one like that.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

tongueriver wrote: ,,,,, And of course dandelion season is near upon us.
As I recall, the story that went with the Scagle that turned up in a 'barn sale' was being used for digging up dandelions. If my very rusty memory serves, the knife sold for $25 in the original Scagle sheath at the barn sale then sold for something over $10,000 on the Bay.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “General Knife Discussion”