No More Mammoth in Hawaii

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
PCwizard

No More Mammoth in Hawaii

Post by PCwizard »

The state of Hawaii has banned import/export and buying/selling pretty much all fossil ivory. You can't even give it to anyone. The band went in effect Jan 1, 2017. Well I got my last batch in mid December. I know I can't sell it. But I like working with it and will take my time and use this last batch only when that special knife shows itself to me.

Here are photos of the 6 sets I got before Christmas. I took my time and cherry pick some very nice pieces. There's 2 inner ivory, 3 bark and a very nice end cut.

Attachments
0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
#goldpan

Re: No More Mammoth in Hawaii

Post by #goldpan »

I live in California so I sympathies with you . Those samples you have are outstanding! I really dig those end cuts. ::tu:: ::tu::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That is some beautiful stuff, Gary. I like the bark best, though those end cuts are also unique. What is the rational for banning fossil ivory? Too hard to distinguish between fossil and recent killed?
Mel
garyflorida

Post by garyflorida »

With the Chinese being huge in the Ivory trade, I am sure Hawaii, being in the location they are, has seen it's share of material passing through. Too time consuming to screen all the material so they probably just said "that is it" to any ivory products imo.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

They must be afraid the hunting pressure to acquire more mammoth tusks will cause them to become extinct. Oh wait, I think they already are ! ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

What a shame. At least you acquired some fantastic examples beforehand, that doesn't normally work out before something is banned.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gary, stunning pieces of mammoth ivory !
Is the cross section piece more likely to crack ?
kj
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

kootenay joe wrote:Gary, stunning pieces of mammoth ivory !
Is the cross section piece more likely to crack ?
kj
Joe, I never worked with end cut before but I always wanted to. This piece is about 3.75 x 1.5 x 1/4. I have to find the right knife. I think your right it would be more likely to crack. But less likely then mammoth tooth. I just couldn't pass it up.
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

Dinadan wrote:That is some beautiful stuff, Gary. I like the bark best, though those end cuts are also unique. What is the rational for banning fossil ivory? Too hard to distinguish between fossil and recent killed?

Hawaii said there seeing real ivory being passed off as fossil ivory. So the animals are still dying as a result. So there just stopping it all. There was a number of states that did the same thing.

What I want to know, is can I buy and sell a factory made knife. Like a Case, Buck etc.

Link to the article.
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/elly-peppe ... ets-banned
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

[quote= "PCwizard" What I want to know, is can I buy and sell a factory made knife. Like a Case, Buck etc.[/quote]

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... iew&id=251
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here is the logical fallacy in banning ivory (and mammoth fossil):
A = B = C, therefore, A = C
A (ban ivory) = B (reduce demand) = C (reduce poaching)

"State bans like the one Hawaii signed into law late last week are critically important to reducing U.S. demand for ivory, and, as a result, poaching in Africa."

All it will do is decrease the supply, not necessarily the demand. As with other attempts to control appetites & desires through legislation (i.e., prohibition, drug war, gun control, etc.), the ban will NOT reduce demand, it will only turn otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals and quite possibly even increase poaching as the price of ivory will skyrocket (law of supply & demand) and thus, make ivory an even more lucrative commodity and attractive to poachers to obtain and sell on the black market.

While I agree with the intent of the ban (to protect elephants from illegal poaching), I feel the methodology is flawed.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

That stuff is beautiful. Do they make copies in plastic?
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I saw an article on Fox that states they are preparing to cross-breed/clone the Wooly Mammoth with the African Elephant. They should be "on the hoof" so to speak, within two years. (This is NOT a "rib"/joke). ::tu::

Problem solved.

Tusk, tusk! (Did I say that)? ::paranoid:: ::facepalm:: ::mdm::
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

I really love the looks of the center set of bark ones on the bottom. It seems states are slowly moving towards the all around ivory ban, not just elephant ivory.

My mother was on a mission trip in Africa, and said that in the area she was at, elephants are so common they are a nuisance. The way people feel here about whitetail deer. They are over populated, and are destroying their environment. And they are too huge to keep out of housing areas with fences, so the only recourse is to: 1.) tranquilize them and haul them somewhere else. or 2.) kill them (legally by game wardens). She said she was told they kill over 1000 per year in that area because tranquilizing/moving them is too expensive.
Carl B.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”