Micarta Sanding/finishing for a consistent "Look" across the surface .. Advice Please

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Brumbydownunder

Micarta Sanding/finishing for a consistent "Look" across the surface .. Advice Please

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Any Advice Appreciated.
Only my second time using a Micarta type material and both times ( two different Pieces) I'm having trouble with achieving a consistent look across the entire surface.
This is Commercial Micarta style material purchased from a retailer not home made.
I can get part of the surface giving the 'thread' pattern but another part with a smoother look - showing more of the resin - with the 'thread' pattern less distinct. See Pics below.
DSCN5645.JPG
DSCN5643.JPG
My first thought was there is a depth/thickness variation between the two areas but this has been hand sanded to 600 on a glass platen taking the knife to the platen ...so ....thickness variation should(???) be minute I would have thought.
I've tried a number of variations from just dry paper to Wet & Dry with Water and Wet & Dry with WD40
This is yet another of my TL29 tear-downs and rebuilds.
DSCN5646.JPG
Any thoughts ???Anyone on how I can achieve a consistent look?
I would actually be happy with either smooth or patterned "look" so long as it was consistent across the whole surface ........ Thanks in Advance.

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
Toejammer

Re: Micarta Sanding/finishing for a consistent "Look" across the surface .. Advice Please

Post by Toejammer »

My only thought is maybe try wet sanding them. I know my TL-29 I just built with micarta liners had a problem with the micarta heating up during sanding, and rolling over the brass liners. I think that stuff has a low melting point. So maybe wet sanding would even out your finish ?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Brumbydownunder

Re: Micarta Sanding/finishing for a consistent "Look" across the surface .. Advice Please

Toejammer wrote:My only thought is maybe try wet sanding them.
Yep Tj been there and done that both with water and WD40

Appreciate you taking the time to put your 'thinking cap' on and replying.

Derek
ea42

Post by ea42 »

You might want to try slightly rounding the covers rather than keeping them perfectly flat. This way you get the layers to come through, like the rings on a tree. Just try to keep the high point down the center of the knife. You could also try buffing your handles with a finer compound which would blend those threads into the handle a bit. Here's an example that I used both methods on:

Eric
Attachments
Canal S. shadow_495.JPG
Brumbydownunder

Thanks @ ea42 ::tu::
... I will give that a try.

Derek

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”