Black lip Pearl clasp prototype

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
XxTestedxX

Black lip Pearl clasp prototype

Post by XxTestedxX »

Trying to determine if this knife is genuine BLP, has a COA. Looks great
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Black lip Pearl clasp prototype

Post by QTCut5 »

Does not look like genuine Black Lip Pearl to me; looks synthetic.

Genuine BLP has "fire" (iridescence) just like white Mother Of Pearl...like these
P8200189.JPG
But, that's just my personal opinion based on your photos. What is the actual pattern number stamped on the knife?

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
lbsmobile
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by lbsmobile »

XxTestedxX wrote:Trying to determine if this knife is genuine BLP, has a COA. Looks great
This knife is absolutely Genuine and closer to Extremely rare than very rare. Nomenclaturally, it is deceiving and that's due to the way covers are listed in the Classics reference book.

The scales are actually an Alante. In the book, it is listed as Black Lip Pearl. Real Pearl would be listed as Genuine Black Lip Pearl. And that is why the Cert reads the way it does.

Alante is extremely difficult to come by. It doesn't gas or shrink and pictures will never display the depth as when in hand.
This knife is rarer than a Genuine Black Lip Pearl. But, it is not Genuine Black Lip Pearl.

Hope this helps!
Ron M.
*Looking for Wendell Carson / Fightin Bull - Sleeveboard Pens.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

lbsmobile wrote:
XxTestedxX wrote:Trying to determine if this knife is genuine BLP, has a COA. Looks great
This knife is absolutely Genuine and closer to Extremely rare than very rare. Nomenclaturally, it is deceiving and that's due to the way covers are listed in the Classics reference book.

The scales are actually an Alante. In the book, it is listed as Black Lip Pearl. Real Pearl would be listed as Genuine Black Lip Pearl. And that is why the Cert reads the way it does.

Alante is extremely difficult to come by. It doesn't gas or shrink and pictures will never display the depth as when in hand.
This knife is rarer than a Genuine Black Lip Pearl. But, it is not Genuine Black Lip Pearl.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info Ron, greatly appreciated. I have a few classics and interests is growing, will look into a club member ship
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

I personally could not locate in the book Ron; do you have the page reference; I know the book had many errors.

Just trying to figure out how many made, or other relevant info.

Thanks again
lbsmobile
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by lbsmobile »

Hello,
My reference was to the Alante. See page 150 H - It has the same covers as the 1072. Then look over at page 151 C and you will see it(151C) as 'Genuine'.
Sorry for any confusion I may have added here.

As to how many made... there won't be a page that states that number. There may however be a reference in some of the old material from the period. Someone could go through the online material or check the old paper reference material. Short of seeing an actual count listed, you should stay with 'Prototype'.
Ron M.
*Looking for Wendell Carson / Fightin Bull - Sleeveboard Pens.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

lbsmobile wrote:
Hello,
My reference was to the Alante. See page 150 H - It has the same covers as the 1072. Then look over at page 151 C and you will see it(151C) as 'Genuine'.
Sorry for any confusion I may have added here.

As to how many made... there won't be a page that states that number. There may however be a reference in some of the old material from the period. Someone could go through the online material or check the old paper reference material. Short of seeing an actual count listed, you should stay with 'Prototype'.
I was also going to sell another prototype, a red bone clasp with an elephant etch, King of the beast.

I have a ton of classics I will be parting with, toothpicks, clasps and a few Coke bottles.

And.. A celluloid salesman sample toe, abalone swirl toe

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”