GEC 'S' Stamped EDC Knives....or '2' Stamped Factory Seconds

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
IMBand

GEC 'S' Stamped EDC Knives....or '2' Stamped Factory Seconds

Post by IMBand »

Over the last couple years I have purchased several GEC 'S' stamped EDC knives from a few dealers. None of them has had a very significant flaw and I think they have each been an excellent value. Here is another one that I just scored and over the next several days I will try to post some others that I have.

If you have a GEC 'S' or '2' stamped knife......please post it here.

IM
:)
Attachments
00001.jpg
00002.jpg
00003.jpg
AAPK #6581
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC 'S' Stamped EDC Knives....or '2' Stamped Factory Sec

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's a good looking knife, Trevor. What's their issue with it?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

The dealer speculated that it was the deeply sunken pins......but I think that the darker stag on one side may have been the issue. Not real sure, but it looks like a great knife to me. Will look it over closely when it gets here and post whatever I find.

IM
AAPK #6581
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't think it's sunken pins. From my observations, sunken pins are not unusual on the stag handle knives.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

Got this one a few months back and the dealer said that the flaw was over burnt stag on the mark side. It does look to be close in color to the pile side of the #73 I just ordered. Could be that they just torched the stag a little too much. On this #47 (also an 'S' stamped EDC) I just made sure to oil the handles liberally a few times after I got it and it has become one of my favorite carries.

IM
Attachments
000001.jpg
000002.jpg
AAPK #6581
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Where do you find "seconds" for sale?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

edge213 wrote:Where do you find "seconds" for sale?
Many of the GEC Dealers have a link or category titled 'EDC Knives', other times they show up in their 'New Items' section.

Here is another 'S' stamped GEC that I got recently.....the flaw was noted as the bone color being a little light. I have inspected this knife very closely and it sure seems correct in every other way.

IM
Attachments
00001.jpg
00002.jpg
AAPK #6581
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Great knives! It speaks for GEC´s quality control and their high level of workmanship. ::tu::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Skipper, I just saw a Northfield 66 Calf Roper Slim Pen-Burnt Stag for what I think is a very good price. What made it an "EDC" was a little patch of very light pink on the mark side handle. I had to look at the picture several times before I could pick it out.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

This is the first GEC 'EDC" knife that I purchased back in 2011. American Elk #25EO, this knife is right in every way as far as I can tell. The graining of the handles was noted as being the reason it was a second.......but to me they kind of have a nice 'mammothy' look to them. This is one of my favorite Elk handled knives that I have from GEC.

IM
Attachments
P1140008.JPG
P1140009.JPG
AAPK #6581
2Dead

Post by 2Dead »

Beautiful #25!! I wish all their Elk looked like that :) I've picked up a few of the S knives over the years and they have been great users.

#47 - I think there were some tiny chips in the nifebrite next to the liner?

#48 - I think this one was dealer marked as an EDC. There's a tiny pin crack in the otherwise beautiful (imho) pearl. I can carry this one and not worry about using it.

#61 - I think this just had some gaps

#72 - Both of these had some rough jigging on the pile side need the lock. I just sanded the bone down and put them to use. The wharncliffe one may have also had a crack but its been stable.

#73 - This one just has a pin crack in the stag by the bottom pin but it hasn't moved at all.
Attachments
IMG_3915.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3112.jpg
IMG_1571.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1844.jpg
IMG_1127.jpg
IMG_1128.jpg
- Trand
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

WOW Trand.......some really nice GEC 'EDC's there..... ::nod::
Had a pair of those #72's and let them go, wish I hadn't as I very much liked the bone on them.

Here is a #23 'S' knife that I sent to my Brother a couple years back, he lost it..... ::facepalm::
Only thing 'wrong' on this knife was a couple veins/'cracks' in the stag on the pile side near the tube.

IM
Attachments
00001.JPG
00002.JPG
AAPK #6581
Robert

Post by Robert »

Very nice Everyone I just have 1 a 23 pattern they are great knives
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

]

Many of the GEC Dealers have a link or category titled 'EDC Knives', other times they show up in their 'New Items' section.

IM
:)[/quote]

Can you tell me which sites have the "EDC" selections? or maybe your favorite site that has them ::nod::
I remember seeing those but can't remember where ::shrug::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
philllll

Post by philllll »

Here are my two seconds. Both Charlie Campagna SFO's.

The barlow is marked with a file mark on the kick and has a large filled spot in the pile side blackwood cover.

The radio jack is marked with a 2 on the back side of the cap lifter, and has some gaps around the diamond shield.
Attachments
IMG_2045.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

IMBand wrote:This is the first GEC 'EDC" knife that I purchased back in 2011. American Elk #25EO, this knife is right in every way as far as I can tell. The graining of the handles was noted as being the reason it was a second.......but to me they kind of have a nice 'mammothy' look to them. This is one of my favorite Elk handled knives that I have from GEC.

IM
I also wish all GEC Elk looked like this ... I have the same knife, and the handles are quite similar - much more interesting to me than the "clear" stuff ... Beuatiful knife, IM.

~ Edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
junebug

Post by junebug »

MY ONLY ONE..........
YELLOW ROSE
"S" ON SHEEPFOOT
I GOT IT SECOND HAND......BUT NEVER SEEN A FLAW ::shrug:: 8)
LOVE THIS KNIFE..........
Attachments
feb knives 008.JPG
feb knives 009.JPG
knife pix 048.JPG
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

#15 TC Barlow Sheepfoot Tan. What appears to be the a very tiny crack or fracture in the bone around the pin on the bottom end blade etch side, if there is a flaw. Great knife anyway
Attachments
WP_20150402_13_53_29_Pro.jpg
WP_20150402_13_52_16_Pro.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Here's my example..a #73 Scout made in 2008. I love the knife and can't find what I would consider a flaw.
I do have a question...is the placement of the "2" normally on the back of the tang like this...or will it sometimes be marked elsewhere on the blade or bolster? Also, do these knives have any collectability at all...or are they simply considered users? Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Perry
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
Biggie_Robs

Post by Biggie_Robs »

prairiedog wrote:Here's my example..a #73 Scout made in 2008. I love the knife and can't find what I would consider a flaw.
I do have a question...is the placement of the "2" normally on the back of the tang like this...or will it sometimes be marked elsewhere on the blade or bolster? Also, do these knives have any collectability at all...or are they simply considered users? Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Perry
They're users.

That doesn't mean that future knife collectors won't want them, but the fact that GEC doesn't include them in production totals tells me what they think of them, and gives a clue as to how future collectors will view them.

I have an 89 melon tester whittler 2nd in smooth autumn bone that I love, but I don't expect anyone to ever want it for more than what it actually is--a damn nice knife with a cosmetic flaw.

It's certainly possible that some pattern and handle combination would become so desirable that even its seconds were worth something, but I wouldn't invest in a GEC second knife. I'd buy it to use. It'll do what you ask of it.

Post by Ivoryman »

prairiedog wrote:Here's my example..a #73 Scout made in 2008. I love the knife and can't find what I would consider a flaw.

Thanks,
Perry
Pdog, great looking scales on that 73. My TC Barlow above has a 2 stamped right on/over the G in GEC on the tang, opposite side as the long pull, for what that's worth.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Northwoods Broadway EZ open - 2 on the tang and a tiny hairline pile side by the EZ cut out.
Attachments
WP_20160416_17_44_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20160416_17_40_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20160416_17_41_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20160416_17_44_14_Pro.jpg

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”