Laguiole folding knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
DocRon

Laguiole folding knife

Post by DocRon »

I just purchased a Robert David Laguiole knife and have a question about releasing the locked-open blade to close it. Is there a preferred way to close the blade? There isn't a release point like on a frame-lock. The only way I can figure out how to the blade is just by pushing is closed. Will this method damage the back sline of the knife? It is a beautiful knife. I told my wifde that it is too nice looking to use.

Also, is there a way to tell if the knife is authentic or a copy. The tang has "12C 27" and "France" and the blade has "LAGUIOLE R. David"

Thanks for your help.
Hukk

Re: Laguiole folding knife

Post by Hukk »

DocRon wrote:I just purchased a Robert David Laguiole knife and have a question about releasing the locked-open blade to close it. Is there a preferred way to close the blade? There isn't a release point like on a frame-lock. The only way I can figure out how to the blade is just by pushing is closed. Will this method damage the back sline of the knife? It is a beautiful knife. I told my wifde that it is too nice looking to use.

Also, is there a way to tell if the knife is authentic or a copy. The tang has "12C 27" and "France" and the blade has "LAGUIOLE R. David"

Thanks for your help.
About all I can tell you is that 12C27 is the stainless steel used from Sandvik. Others can tell you more about the knife. The steel is a moderate Carbon somewhat similar to 420 SS but I hear edge retenion is better. I hear good things about Laguiole knives but I have never owned one. It is on my long list however. ::tu::
Hukk
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

A couple pictures might help. ::nod::
But, until then, try this link.....

http://www.worldknives.com/regions/france-2.html

...scroll down almost to the bottom, and you'll see a nice string of Robert David knives. Maybe one of them is like yours? Most of these knives are slip joints and have no locking mechanism. Just carefully done blade pressure against the backspring. This sounds like it might be the case with your knife.

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
DocRon

Post by DocRon »

Bill and Hukk,

Thanks for the replies. I actually purchased the knife from World Knives via ebay, but hadn't seen their website. My knife is listed on their site, so, it appears to be authentic. Now I'll need to save up for one with a corkscrew. :wink: Thanks.

Ron
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

Robert David is a well know trademark : specially for laguiole. 12C27 is a steel often use in france for knives.
this knives are not slipjoint but "cran forcé" (sorry i'm unable to translate this :oops: ) : there is a strong point before you can close the blade.
be careful when you close the blade : often with closing the blade chock the spring - this a well know defect for laguiole (due to design)

official site for Robert David : http://www.coutellerie-thiers.com/annua ... IdModele=1
Don Luis

Post by Don Luis »

Laguioles often come with no lock and hard springs, though I have seen a few lockbacks somewhere on the web, seem like modernized traditonal style.

Here's a picture of one of my Laguioles, I pressed in a small piece of wood to prevent the blade from hitting the spring when closed (something that I had seen in Spanish navajas).

Luis

(link to picture in remote host)
Attachments
LaguioleWoodInsert01a72.jpg
LaguioleWoodInsert01a72.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 24493 times
DocRon

Post by DocRon »

Stancaiman and Don Luis,

Thank you for your helpful replies. I never expected to get responses from France and Mexico. Thanks again.

Ron
justold52

Post by justold52 »

YUP PERS is sure is nice to have the inter net in your own home.

It's a small word now.

Thanks for jumpping in Stancaiman and Don Luis.

I to learned from you both.... ::nod::
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

Don Luis wrote:Laguioles often come with no lock and hard springs,
traditional Laguioles never come with lock (liner, pump, or other), it's only a hard springs ::nod::
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

I'm quite sure you are correct about the TRADITIONAL style knives. ::nod::

But, in keeping with today's world, even Robert David makes a locking knife...

http://www.worldknives.com/products/rob ... ebed27aa95

...and many new folks don't know the history or legend around a traditional Laguiole style of knife, and may happen upon one like this. I, like Don Luis, have seen this type while browsing for Lagioule knives.

We just try to cover all the angles here. ::nod:: :lol:

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

yes, i know but it's not a Laguiole (i mean a real Laguiole) :D
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

here are some pics of my Laguiole corkscrew knife in natural bone. I purchased it from http://www.laguiole-southwest.com
I will quote the paperwork that came with it:
"The Laguiole originated as a herdsman knife and is a blend of Spanish and French craft influences. Knives in this style were first produced commercially by Pierre Jean Calmels in 1829. Corkscrews were added to the knives about 1880 when the distribution of wine in bottles, rather than in barrels became popular."
I think they are wonderful knives, great ballance and very functional when traveling thru the countryside sampling local fare.
Attachments
Laguiole_05.jpg
Laguiole_04.jpg
Laguiole_03.jpg
Laguiole_02.jpg
Laguiole_01.jpg
Paul M
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

very nice your Fontenille
Calmels allready exist but they are now build in Thiers. I have one - i will post pictures
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

a Calmels Laguiole picture (buy 25 years ago at Laguiole)

Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

Just read this post for the first time, this morning - Ok, I'm slow, but I'm old...

Paul M has a very interesting point (no pun intended), regarding the balance of a folding knife. Balance is a large issue/concern with fixed blades, as we all know - but I've wondered about the balance of folders, for years now...

How do ya'll measure the balance of your pocketknives ? I mean - I can tell what "feels good" in my hand, but I've never really figured out the "why". To me, it's nearly impossible to balance a multi-blade knife, but I do own a couple that are great, with one blade open. Really can't describe it...

One detail that HAS occured to me - regarding a traditional slip joint (fr'instance, a stockman pattern)... if I set the knife, on a table, resting on the springs - if the knife will "spin" effortlessly, it always seems to be a knife that feels good, when I'm using it ? I've never found a multi-blade jack, that will do that - although most any jack is appealing, to me.

I may not be putting into words, exactly what I mean... just wondering how you fellers guage the balance of your folding knives ?

Thanks,
JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I pretty much go with how it feels while I'm using it. I have found that I don't really like a Case or Bulldog 4 1/8 inch trapper, but Wendell Carrson's Fight'n Bull Swayback trapper at about the same length is great. On the thinner handled trappers the 3 7/8 inch trapper (dogleg or serpentine handle) feels good to use. On the other hand, Case Seahore Whittler at 4 1/8 inch is just fine, the Bulldog Warncliffe Whittler at 4 1/8 and 3 7/8 is just fine, but the 3 1/8 or 3 1/4 inch is a disaster waiting to happen. A stockman must be at least 3 5/8 inches to be comfortable, even a 4 1/4 inch stockman is fine if the job is big enough to warrant using it.

I really like a Barlow at 3 7/8 inches, those 3 1/2 inch knives just feel wrong.

Over the years I've found what I like and don't like and most times now I can look at a knife and tell if it will be a decent user for me.

So, that's how I came to know what I like, how it feels in my hand while using it. ::tu::
Hukk
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

I agree completely, Hukk.

The 54 pattern knives are a pleasure to hold and admire - but if I wanna cut something, I prefer a lot of knives over it.

I DID like the old tobacco series of Bulldog Barlows, with the spear point master. Maybe it has more to do, with the handle design, I guess ?

I could never be an engineer, I guess. It's so "hit or miss", to me. Fr'instance, the 65 pattern folding hunter feels much better, with one blade, instead of 2. Maybe that's one reason the big-name makers get the big bucks ?

I didn't mean to change the topic, I've just wondered about the balance question, for a long time. I hate it, when I'm unbalanced !

Back to Laguiole...
JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”