German Eye Brand Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
sunburst

German Eye Brand Knives

Post by sunburst »

Does anyone know where I can find a little in-depth history on German Eye brand knives? I am trying to get a grasp on how to date these knives from each other :roll:

If my reading memory serves me right scholars :o on this forum say they are made by the Olbertz factory...

Thanks,

Sunburst
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

eye brand

Post by Mossdancer »

Hello;
I must not be a scholar cause I see them made, along with Fan and El Gallo brand by Carl Schlieper a manufactoring firm in Solengin from circa 1770 til at least the late 1990's. Hope my source is correct.
Mossdancer,
PS; After lookin I found the Olbertz Reference, You must go back a page and find LongBeachBum article, He is very astute on the subject. Note also a reference from El Lobo to Schlieper. I think that post says everything you need to know. I dont believe mine was wrong just a few years out of date.
Thats what I get for using 20th century documentation that hasn't been updated.
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Definitions of scholar on the Web:

a learned person ; someone who by long study has gained mastery in one or more disciplines.

Mossdancer,

Everything is in perspective in how we are looking at someone or something at the moment...(Man I must be a scholar talking like this :roll: )

My view is that most people on this board, are a whole lot closer to mastery of this knife hobby than myself... :P

Thanks for the headsup on the previous post, I will check it out...

Sunburst
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

A little history I have unearthed on German Eye;

Carl Schlieper began business in 1898, they were a huge company who supplied general hardware, tools, steel safes, locks, charcoal, heavy machinery, bathroom fixtures, coffee grinders, etc, etc.... Schlieper scaled the business down to just cutlery after WWII.

Forest Cruse of Austin, Texas began importing Eye brand in the 1950's, the Cruse family sold Eye brand for years but competition caused them to cease selling Eye brand & Jim Bowie knives. Mr. Clarence Risner of Ohio is now the sole importer of Eye brand knives. The Schlieper Eye brand factory closed in the late 1980's.

Both Eye brand and Jim Bowie knives are now made on a license agreement in a german factory (Which factory ???? Olbertz )

The quality according to the late Jim Parker is outstanding...

Sunburst
Roger - 50/2050

Post by Roger - 50/2050 »

Howdy sunburst,

----- I have seven German Eye (Eye Brand) three blade Stockman's in my collection & this is what I have been told about how I would identify there age, the first three have the dbl opposing Fan symbol (Fan Brand) for the main blade etch & I have been told these were made back in the 60's (can't make out the front sides of the Tang Stamp as they are covered up from the bolster), the next thee have the the dbl opposing Eye symbol for the main blade etch + the Eye symbol on the Tang (true tripple Eye's) & these are from the 70's, my last knife is from the early 80's as that is when they first started to use the single Eye symbol on the main blade etch with one Eye on the Tang & sometimes one Eye Symbol on the Banner shield ... Now I have heard a lot of dealers out in the hobby say that these knives from the 80's to I think the 90's & even with the newer knives that have surfaced & are being sold now claim that they are the much desired "Tripple Eye's" which in fact is a false statment!

"Texas collector", Roger - 50/2050 :wink:
A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Hey Roger,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on aging German Eye brand...I have had a hard time finding the information on how to age Eye brand knives. So your experience is most appreciated on this topic. I have not had the opportunity to see the Fan Brand symbol from the 60's, I just purchased a triple eye canoe and a single eye canoe the other day and will post a couple of pics when I get them.

I have seen certain sellers pushing their new knives as triple eye also on a certain well known auction site. If you get a chance please share a photo or two of your collection with the rest of us...

Thanks again,

Sunburst 8)
glange

Re: German Eye Brand Knives

Post by glange »

I have a yellow three blade eye knife (I think it is a stockman) that I am trying to date. It is at least 100 years old, because my great-great grandfather gave it to my great-grandfather in 1910. It a a single eye with the lines radiating out from the center, with no other text, on the main blade only. Does anyone have a way to narrow down a closer date?

Thanks
justold52

Re: German Eye Brand Knives

Post by justold52 »

glange Hello and WELCOME to AAPK.

Perhaps you will get an answer faster it you posst your request in this fourm link. Just click on it and make a new post.

First thing they will ask you is for a photo. so please try to help us with a photo and tell us any thing stamped on the blades also.

Hope this hill help.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=65

Ken or justold52
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'

Return to “General Knife Discussion”