Another Utility

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
tjmurphy

Another Utility

Post by tjmurphy »

Postgirl just dropped this one off this afternoon. Camillus Navy and Coast Guard General Utility Knife. This is the designation given in the 1946 catalog, and the only catalog that shows this pattern, the other catalogs do show a utility pattern but they have a punch blade instead of a pen blade. The knife has never been used or carried and the original grease is still on the blades in spots. Down-side, has what Jerryd calls "shrinky-dink" handles, but that will be taken care of. Brass frame and liners, steel bolsters and bail. The stamp is very reminicient of an Imperial stamp of the same period, 1946-?? $9.99 with free shipping ::tu::
100_0610.JPG
100_0611.JPG
100_0612.JPG
100_0613.JPG
100_0614.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another Utility

Post by treefarmer »

TJ, thanks for posting the pics and info about your knife ::tu:: . I've got one just like it, except for condition, only knew it was a Camillus but had no idea it was a Navy and Coast Guard General Utility Knife from 1946. Mine was salvaged from the bucket of knives I bought that had been full of water ::teary_eyes:: . It still "walks and talks" and the shrinky-dink handles surely does apply! Kinda neat to know it was maybe made in 1946 as that was the year I was born.
Treefarmer
Attachments
002.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey Philip, do you have a clear picture of the stamp on your knife? Based on the looks of the stamp on my knife, kind of slurred, reminds me of an IMPERIAL stamp. You don't reckon that IMPERIAL made some of the knives for CAMILLUS, or vice-versa, do you? If IMPERIAL some of the CAMILLUS knives of this era, that might account for the over-lapping of the CAMILLUS "no underline" stamp and the "short underline" stamp. ::hmm:: ::hmm::

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

TJ, you're barking up the wrong tree my friend ::shrug::, ain't got that far yet! But here is a pic of the tang stamp and the CAMILLUS name is larger, I believe than the one you posted. What does that indicate?
Treefarmer
Attachments
027.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I don't know what that indicates. But look at the stamp and notice that the top of each letter is kind of slurred, that's the same way the IMPERIAL 1936-52 (IMPERIAL/PROV. R.I.) stamp looks on a lot of their knives.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Phil -- That stamp is accepted in some circles as 1946-1950 and others say it's 1946-1956. ::shrug:: Camillus tang stamps. They're a migraine waiting to start.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”