Norfolk Whittler

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Norfolk Whittler

Post by 1967redrider »

I've been searching for the infamous Norfolk Whittler, trying to find one in decent shape that I don't have to mortgage the farm over, and I came across this relatively new one from Schatt & Morgan (2008). I did read some negative comments on another knife forum about the fit and finish but decided to roll the dice anyhow and check one out for myself. I love everything about this pattern; traditionally 3 5/8" closed, 3 bladed with a locking main blade, humpback handles and the older ones have sweet jigged handle material. Nothing wrong with trappers and stockmen in my book but one of those this pattern ain't.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. ::pray::

By the way, show 'em if you have 'em! ::ds:: I did a search and didn't come up with much.
Attachments
9863478_orig.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
junebug

Re: Norfolk Whittler

Post by junebug »

first time i have seen one VERY COOL! CONGRATS BRO ::tu:: 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks man, hope it lives up to the pictures.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Post by reddirtknives »

I love me some whittlers ::super_happy:: and a humping lockback whittler can't be beat... Great choice for a new knife ::tu::
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
wlf

Post by wlf »

If it don't John,send it back.Here's hoping Christmas comes early to a guy that deserves it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::tu:: ::tu::

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........redrider, I have one of these, got it about 2 yrs. ago, I love this knife, I think it is very unique. I read somewhere that the original Remington patterns like this are worth a fortune. I also have the smaller(3 1/8" closed) Robeson mastercraft version of this knife, which does not have the lock on the primary blade-stag handled-it is maybe my favorite whittler.................... ::tu:: ::tu:: ............
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Hope I can say the same thing. ::tu:: Usually I like a 4-4 1/2" folder, they're harder to lose, but traditionally it seems the Norfolk's were 3 5/8".

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....when I got mine, the secondary blades were lazy. sent it back to queen, and had it back in less than 3 weeks,repaired.....great customer service!!!............ ::tu:: .............
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

I like whittlers too. Not sure if you consider this a Norfolk or not but it is a similar lockback whittler. This is a Cargill in pearl with file worked back springs.
Attachments
2013-07-10_21-19-38_741.jpg
2013-06-22_23-25-54_778.jpg
IMG_20130619_134100.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...........awesome!!!!,never seen one of those!!!................. ::tu:: ........................
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

It's a great pattern. I was fortunate enough to acquire this Case Bose a few years ago. :D

Rust Never Sleeps
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are awesome, thanks for posting! ::tu:: ::tu::

knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

I am under the impression that the knife smiling-knife posted is the Norfolk and the knife in the OP is called a lock-back humpback whittler, which is a copy of an old Remington pattern. That knife in the OP gave the folks at Queen a rough time! The Premier Series was scheduled to be released twice a year, according to the man having them built, but it got backed up for 2 years with this pattern! ::uc:: They had a tough time with the lock. I got lucky with mine but I remember some folks had problems, Hope you have good luck as well redrider! :mrgreen:

Dave
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...I didn't have any problem with the lock on mine, but both secondary blades were lazy, so I sent it back and queen repaired it..love this knife!!!..also got the baby Robeson version that doesn't have the lock, in stag, and it's a neat knife, too!!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mine just showed up yesterday, will post some pictures. Mine works perfectly, didn't even oil it yet. The jigging and bone is old-school gorgeous, love everything about this knife. ::ds::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

. . . and here you go. This sweetie weights about as much as a Case 640045R scout, nice weight in my opinion for the size. I guess I got lucky, can't find any flaws with this one. The shape of the main blade and the locking mechanism distinguish this whittler from all others.
Attachments
1375311001379.jpg
1375311001379.jpg (7.82 KiB) Viewed 632 times
1375310987199.jpg
1375310987199.jpg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 632 times
1375310993405.jpg
1375310993405.jpg (8.29 KiB) Viewed 632 times
1375310981301.jpg
1375310981301.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 632 times
1375310906455.jpg
1375310906455.jpg (5.29 KiB) Viewed 632 times

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Surfing old threads looking at Cargill knives, realized I didn't post a picture of the "little brother" Norfolk I picked up from Charlie about a year ago. Robeson Mastercraft, made by Queen(?).
Attachments
WP_20160410_024.jpg
WP_20160410_022.jpg

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Looks different than the humpback lock-backs in most of the photos posted on this thread, but this Northwoods Smooth Calico Bone is also called a Norfolk Whittler. Like knowtracks mentioned, this pattern is what I always thought of as a Norfolk (similar to the Case / Tony Bose Norfolk posted by smiling-knife).

Regardless of the name, all the ones posted so far are real beauties..especially that MOP Cargill

~Q~
Attachments
P8201036.JPG
P8201037.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

1967redrider wrote:Surfing old threads looking at Cargill knives, realized I didn't post a picture of the "little brother" Norfolk I picked up from Charlie about a year ago. Robeson Mastercraft, made by Queen(?).
........right, RR, I've got one with stag handles, and I love it!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Larry Hayes stag lockbacks 001.JPG
This is a Larry Hayes Norfolk I picked up a while back. I think I have posted this before in other threads. I also have dreamed of owning an original Remington but was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen. Sometimes you just have to settle but when you get a knife as nice as your's or this one, settling isn't such a bad thing. ___Dave

Return to “General Knife Discussion”