1095 high carbon pocket knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
franknittti79

1095 high carbon pocket knives

Post by franknittti79 »

im kinda new at this knife collecting, so i dont know all the brands that are out there, probably never will. I have a Case slimline trapper that i picked up at the case factory and i love it, its my house knife. The problem is that im having a hard time finding folders that are 1095 high carbon. So far i've found 2 opinels, the 4 and the 7. Both awesome knives. The 4 is for work and the 7 for edc. I know about the svord peasant and peasant mini. Aiter, a spanish company, makes a nice 1095 folder. I know great eastern, right here in good ol pennsylvania has REALLY nice folders made of 1095, but who can afford them? So if anyone knows of a company that makes a decent folder thats 1095 and decently priced, please let me know. Thanks.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 1095 high carbon pocket knives

Post by TripleF »

There's millions of them on ebay.......and sold by fellow AAPK member stores (clock rolling banner above).
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

If you're not stuck on new knives, shop the older brands, Camillus, Schrade (not Schrade+), Imperial, CASE, etc, etc, etc, these have some very fine high carbon steel blades at very affordable prices ::tu:: ::tu:: Don't know if they're all 1095, but great steel ::tu:: ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Jigslinger

Post by Jigslinger »

Utica/Kutmaster has a line of knives using 1095 and you can choose between red or green bone scales. Reasonably priced and made in USA. They have a website.
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."
glenn

Post by glenn »

Bear has some too. ::tu:: ::tu::
razor edge
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

franknittti79 wrote:im kinda new at this knife collecting, so i dont know all the brands that are out there, probably never will. I have a Case slimline trapper that i picked up at the case factory and i love it, its my house knife. The problem is that im having a hard time finding folders that are 1095 high carbon. So far i've found 2 opinels, the 4 and the 7. Both awesome knives. The 4 is for work and the 7 for edc. I know about the svord peasant and peasant mini. Aiter, a spanish company, makes a nice 1095 folder. I know great eastern, right here in good ol pennsylvania has REALLY nice folders made of 1095, but who can afford them? So if anyone knows of a company that makes a decent folder thats 1095 and decently priced, please let me know. Thanks.
Frank, a few comments...

1) Just a nit on terms... Not all "high carbon steels" are 1095. For example, Case CV has chrome-vandium added. I'm fairly certain that Opinel's Carbone is not actually 1095 too.

2) It would be helpful to hear more about what style of knives you are interested in. There are so many out there to choose from.

3) ATMO, you will be hard pressed to get more bang for your buck than the Opinels. My daily carry is a modified #9.

edc-pair by Pinnah, on Flickr
Dave "Pinnah" Mann, Bahston, MA
Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Bear & Son Cutlery in Alabama has a line in 1095, decent knives and prices.

Utica, about the same a Bear & Son as far as quality goes, decent knives and prices.

Most older knives used high carbon steel, probably 1095?
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
junebug

Post by junebug »

save your money up...and buy a GEC. you'll not regret it.........and they can be had USED/new on ebay for GREAT PRICES!!!!!!!! ALL ABOUT PATIENCE ::paranoid:: :D

BUT HECK IF YA JUST WANT A CHEAPIE......CARBON STEEL KNIVES ARE "EVERYWHERE" BY ALMOST "EVERY" MAKER..... ::tu:: ::tu::

TRY SURFIN ROUND HERE FOR A WHILE B4 YA BUY....... ::nod::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
franknittti79

Post by franknittti79 »

junebug, im currently saving up for a gec tidioute cattle baron 4 blade in a burnt orange for my father for fathers day. For myself, im looking for a few in the opinel or svord class. I like that douk douk, but i dont like their mystery steel.
woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

tjmurphy wrote:.....Camillus, Schrade (not Schrade+), Imperial, CASE, etc, etc, etc,
Just to fill-in-the-blank fer Frank:
'Old Timer' brand Schrades (USA) have 1095 blades unless otherwise noted.
'Uncle Henry' and others have 440a stainless and the tang stamp will have a +
sign after Schrade to denote the SS blade. No + after Schrade means carbon.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/art ... php?page=3
Pinnah wrote:I'm fairly certain that Opinel's Carbone is not actually 1095
Carbone =XC90
Stainless=Sandvik 12c27-mod
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Case's CV is best described as a modified 1095. The folks at the factory will tell you that's what it is, only with some slight ingredient percentage differences.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Of course Case has the yellow Cell handled knives that most can be had in CV. Some patterns come both ways just have to check. The last couple years they have been doing some bone handles in CV seems like. I prefer them for carrying knives. I don't like to spend a lot of time sharpening.
franknittti79

Post by franknittti79 »

i gotta tell you guys, i have those two opinels and they are disco! I use the 4 for work and the 7 for edc. I put gun bluing on both of them and made them like razors. I love them! My next venture is either the aitor castor or the svord mini peasant, both with wood handles as i love wood handles. I'd really like to find that old herters bull cook knife, but im fairly certain someone is going to have to gift that to me. Most likely my father. He's always finding stuff like that for me.
Robert

Post by Robert »

sasquatch wrote:Of course Case has the yellow Cell handled knives that most can be had in CV. Some patterns come both ways just have to check. The last couple years they have been doing some bone handles in CV seems like. I prefer them for carrying knives. I don't like to spend a lot of time sharpening.
They also have the rancher series which is cv and I carry the sowbelly heck of a knife
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

franknittti79 wrote:im kinda new at this knife collecting, so i dont know all the brands that are out there, probably never will. I have a Case slimline trapper that i picked up at the case factory and i love it, its my house knife. The problem is that im having a hard time finding folders that are 1095 high carbon. So far i've found 2 opinels, the 4 and the 7. Both awesome knives. The 4 is for work and the 7 for edc. I know about the svord peasant and peasant mini. Aiter, a spanish company, makes a nice 1095 folder. I know great eastern, right here in good ol pennsylvania has REALLY nice folders made of 1095, but who can afford them? So if anyone knows of a company that makes a decent folder thats 1095 and decently priced, please let me know. Thanks.
Take a look at "Bear@Son" they have a full line of EDC knives in 1095 but not much in 1095 to collect.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

sasquatch wrote:Of course Case has the yellow Cell handled knives...
Case yellow handle knives (since '64 I think) are delrin. The chlorine in tap water causes oxidation of delrin but they don't gas out like celluloid....

Return to “General Knife Discussion”