Royal Ranger 'RangerLite'

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
yak23flora

Royal Ranger 'RangerLite'

Post by yak23flora »

Just a newbie here, but I thought I'd ask about this knife. I received it in the 1980s when I became an Eagle Scout, but did nothing with it and left it in the box ever since, after all, I had a Buck 110 already.

This is a fine knife, laser sharp, lightweight, and I can't find much infor about it. All I know is its a Buck made for the Royal Rangers, I assume its the same as a ScoutLite.

Is this a scarce knife or just a variant of a common knife?

Scott H.
Friendswood, TX
300Bucks

Re: Royal Ranger 'RangerLite'

Post by 300Bucks »

As you can see, the model number on the tang tells you what "kind" of knife this is. The Royal Ranger Version of the model 422 was offered for awhile by Buck as was the Scoutlite 422 version. These are discontinued, so a mint knife, with sheath and box is as valuable as it gets Which to say is not a large amount. These sell on a auction site once in a while, scoutlites more often. Your 422 Royal Ranger version is date stamped 1988. Several other '400' versions were made as scoutlite's also. 422 Scoutlites were usually red handled with the standard Buck version in Burgundy, Camo and green.

300Bucks
yak23flora

Post by yak23flora »

Super info, thanks very much. Your reply has been a great education. I did not know that Buck dated their knives, so when you said there was a date stamp, I researched, discovered a list of symbols, and see now that my knife is indeed dated (Actually, the symbol on mine is < for 1986, which is the year I was given this knife for graduation). I also then dated my Buck 110, which has one dot on either side of the 110 making it a knife from between 1974 to 1980.

I have enjoyed the 110, the 422 has not been used and kept cozy all these years, though it seems to be a fine knife. Thank you for the great info ::tu::
Scott H.
Friendswood, TX
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I have three great-nephews who are all Royal Rangers, my brother-in-law (their Grandpa) is one of the leaders. They are very similar to the Boy Scouts, except they are only sponsored by their church - no Lions Club, VFW, Moose Lodge, Rotary Club, etc., for sponsors.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I had never heard of them before this thread. AAPK is a constant education.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gino

Post by gino »

Reminds me of a regular Bucklite. I have one that looks very close except for the finger grooving ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Abouch77

Post by Abouch77 »

Hello,
I am a new b on this forum but just saw this post. I know the post is old but I have been looking for one of these knives for about 12 years. I was a royal ranger in the 80's and the first knife my father eve bought me was that knife. 10 years later on a backpacking trip I handed that same knife to a buddy who dropped it in the snow and I never saw it again. (never should have handed it to that buddy). Anyway, just wondering if you still have it and if so weather you would be willing to part with it.
Thanks,
Aaron
abouch@sbcglobal.net
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Aaron (Abouch77), welcome to AAPK and the Buck Forum. You can search e-bay for a Buck 422 Royal Ranger knife - eventually one will come up for bid or sale. You can also go over to the Buck sub-forum at The Blade Forums; a poster there known as "Its Too Early" is the most knowledgeable collector of BuckLite knives I know of - he may have a spare you can buy or trade for - good luck in your quest! Old Hunter

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... lite-today

Ps I was able to find out, by reading I-T-E's thread, that 5000 Royal Ranger BuckLites were made in 1986. That is a decent run, so there should be some out there to buy.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
yak23flora

Post by yak23flora »

Abouch77 wrote:Hello,
I am a new b on this forum but just saw this post. I know the post is old but I have been looking for one of these knives for about 12 years. I was a royal ranger in the 80's and the first knife my father eve bought me was that knife. 10 years later on a backpacking trip I handed that same knife to a buddy who dropped it in the snow and I never saw it again. (never should have handed it to that buddy). Anyway, just wondering if you still have it and if so weather you would be willing to part with it.
Thanks,
Aaron
abouch@sbcglobal.net
Hi Aaron,

Yes, got your email and yes I still have it. Wow, several people have offered to buy this gem off me over the past year, but I am keeping it as it was a gift to me. I pull it out every now and then, its a great blade. Sorry to disappoint.
Scott H.
Friendswood, TX
Abouch77

Post by Abouch77 »

Hi Yak23flora, Scott
I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. No apologies necessary. I appreciate your getting back to me. Take good care of that knife and let me know if you ever change your mind. Thanks again, Aaron
zippofan

Post by zippofan »

I wish Buck still made these. I managed to pick up a mint Scoutlite &sheath right after the holidays as part of a lot of other, less well maintained BSA knives. When I took it to our annual Klondike Derby everyone wanted to check it out.
I'd so love to recommend one of these to parents of my Scouts when they wanted an affordable, well made lockback. Only Case has a BSA logo one and it's a lot smaller than the Buck. The current "official" BSA knives at the Scout shops aren't very good, and some parents balk when I recommend the SAK's when they want a locking knife.

Cheers,
Griff

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”