Imperial Boy Scout knife

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
bryanoshaughnessy

Imperial Boy Scout knife

Post by bryanoshaughnessy »

I've come into an Imperial Boy Scout knife that does not have "Imperial hollow handles", but rather have conventional design handles that pin to brass frames. I have heard this kind of Imperial referred to as "well made". Can anyone tell me the years that Imperial made these knives, and whether all were well made, or if any of the hollow handle models served as scout knives?
I also found one that appears like a Victorinox. What is the life of these models?
Thanks,
---Bryan O
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hello I am a bit confused does your knife say well made on it or where did you get that phrase from? Could you post a pic? I will try to help LT
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Bryan,

Not entirely sure of the dates, but I'd like to say that the Imperial scout knives were popular in the 50's or 60's. I do not believe that they made a shell handle version of the scout knives. As a matter of fact, I believe that any official BSA scout knife, fixed or folding, had to meet certain design criteria to be able to carry the scout logo. The number one criteria was durability, IMO, cause you can imagine the potential use/abuse a scout would put his knife through.

In the 30's and 40's, and even later, utility pocket knives were the rage, and everyone was making their own version. Since certain companies had the official BSA contracts locked up, other companies got around that by copying the look of the BSA knives. The other popular thing to do was to put the word "Scout" on their knife, usually on the shield. This was perfectly legal.

I would agree that the solid handle Imperial knives (and others) of that era were "well made", cetainly more so than the shell handle knives. BTW, I find the shell handle knives have a certain charm, and while not really considered a collectible by many, I find them to be an outstanding bargain, and a great way to get into collecting.

Here's a Camco, a solid handle knife that the plastic/cell handles had shrunk up on. It was in such good shape otherwise, that I put these Maple scales on and gave it to my Dad.

Here are some other examples of the scout/utility pattern. A few are official BSA...

BTW, I am pretty sure that most of those are Imperials, maybe a Colonial or two included. There are both shell handle and solid handle, and probably run from the 40's thru the 70's.

As LT said, pics of your knives would be great.

Glenn[/img]
bryantman

Re: Imperial Boy Scout knife

Post by bryantman »

It depends on what type you have and yes they wear well made they wear introduced to BSA in 1949 with the creation of the imperial knife associat co. When ulster and sharada conjoined And the first model was made thru 1949 to 1955 they went thru the 60s and pleas post a pic ::pray:: I'm not sure about price ::shrug:: but from what I know it's worth a good amount ::ds:: I actually have a first model one if u need any more info email me ::tu::

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”