A Colonial with a little more Empire Knife Co. history

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Beechtree

A Colonial with a little more Empire Knife Co. history

Post by Beechtree »

I picked up this pre-1981 Colonial advertising knife (not sure what to call the pattern?) inscribed "Torrington Needles" at a tag sale. It appears that Torrington Needles (previously Excelsior Needle Co.) was once ran by Charles Alvord of Empire Knife Co. fame. I found the connection fascinating, that a businesses founded in part by Alvord was still in existence until 1980 and that they employed the Colonial Knife Co. with its history with Empire to manufacture and inscribe this knife. An interesting path started in part many years ago by Mr. Alvord.

Here is a link to an excellent bit of history on the Torrington Needle concern and its connection with Alvord.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... y-history/

Also of note, it appears Mr. Alvord was running Excelsior Needle Co. and Empire Knife Co. simultaneously.
Attachments
PC202923.jpg
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
Beechtree

Re: A Colonial with a little more Empire Knife Co. history

Post by Beechtree »

The "history with Empire" which I refer to is that one of the founders of Colonial, Domenic Paolantonio, was a foreman at Empire (from the Colonial Knife Corp website).
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Greetings Beechtree...The knife you have shown us was our # MC-47. We made these in stainless steel, with the front design that was applied in the secondary opperation department. They had plain backs and some had money clips. The company logo was also stamped after and we sold thousands of them for many years! We made many in brass also and one of our biggest customers was Chivas Regal!!
I would like to show you a quote from my book pertaining to Empire Knife Co...

Page one from "My Family Business", Colonial Knife Company by Robert Paolantonio..
In 1920, my grandfather Frederick formed the P.& S. Cutlery Co. to make paring knives as well as skeletons. After one year, P&S was sold to Imperial Knife. The equipment was moved to Providence and Fred joined Imperial Knife as assembly room foreman..Many years before this, "Fred was getting his start in the U.S. Cutlery industry and his two brothers, Dominick and Anthony were skilled cutlers back in the Italian town of Frozolone. In 1910, Dominick arrived in this country and joined his brother Fred at Empire Knife Company. In 1911, Anthony followed the lead set by his two brothers and came to the U.S. to be employed by Empire Knife"..
This is just a portion of important historical information pertaining to Colonial Knife Company
My book also takes you for a tour of the factory and tells the details of pocket knife production from start to finish. If you have any further interest in Colonial and my book you can check out my blog : myfamilybusinessbook@wordpress.com.
I hope this information was helpful to you.
Best regards, Robert A. Paolantonio, Colonial Knife Company, past owner and third generation cutler... ::handshake::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thank you for the information and participating with us. ::handshake::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Wlf, thank you very much sir; glad I could help.
Bobb P. CKCo.. "Cutler 4 Ever"..

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”