Case 62031 Electrician knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case 62031 Electrician knife

Post by treefarmer »

Was blessed with another birthday this week and my best friend gave me this 62031 LHR. He said it is the ugliest Case he had ever seen and knew that I didn't have one, so he bought the used knife for me at the pawn shop. It is a 2005 and from Mr. Pfeiffer's book I gather it is probably a contract knife made by Camillus. I'm drawing a blank on the LHR below the 62031. I think the "L" is for lock on the screwdriver/wire stripper blade and the "R" designates it has a bail, but does the "H" indicate hawkbill for the main blade? Treefarmer
Attachments
005.JPG
006.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Elvis

Re: Case 62031 Electrician knife

Post by Elvis »

The "H" is used for a sHeepfoot blade although that blade does resemble a hawkbill to a degree. So many of Case's blade designs started with an "S" (not to mention "SS") they used the second letter in the blade type to stamp with the model number.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Congratulations Phil. That's a good friend you have there. Those are few and far between. You're a lucky man.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

On that knife the H does designate a hawkbill blade.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the response, Gents!
And Jerry, it is great to have acquaintences who will contribute to your addiction, you are included in this ::nod:: . Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

knifeaholic wrote:On that knife the H does designate a hawkbill blade.
Always learning something new! Good to know about that exception to the rule, so thanks loads Steve. Nice 31 too! I'm hoping they can bring it home and start making them in Bradford again.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Elvis wrote:The "H" is used for a sHeepfoot blade although that blade does resemble a hawkbill to a degree. So many of Case's blade designs started with an "S" (not to mention "SS") they used the second letter in the blade type to stamp with the model number.
True but the sheepfoot was only designated by the "H" when it was on a stockman pattern that had the spay blade to avoid confusion.

On other knives the sheepfoot blade was designated as "SH" like on the 11031 SH.

Technically on the 62031 LHR they should have used the designation "P" for "Pruner" blade instead of "H" for "Hawkbill" since Pruner is the correct name for that blade style.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”