1977 Blue Scroll W/Engraved Bolsters

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
wazu013

1977 Blue Scroll W/Engraved Bolsters

Post by wazu013 »

I have five of the seven that make up the Blue Scroll set with engraved bolsters so I thought I'd put some pics up. They made 1,000 sets with engraved bolsters as opposed to 19,000 sets of plain bolsters. I'm missing the Cheetah and Trapper paterns but I do have them in plain. I have quit trying to find the pieces that I don't have but I sure would like to see them.
wazu013
Attachments
Blue scroll 001.JPG
Blue Scroll Engraved 001.JPG
Blue Scroll Engraved 011.JPG
Blue Scroll Engraved 023.JPG
Blue Scroll Engraved 037.JPG
Blue Scroll Engraved 049.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Old Hunter

Re: 1977 Blue Scroll W/Engraved Bolsters

Post by Old Hunter »

Wazu, that is a beautiful collection of Case blue scrolls - it will be even cooler if you ever do find the other two (hope you just luck into them someday).
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
wishful

Post by wishful »

Wazu, Here is a complete set I have.
Attachments
Case blue scroll - 2.jpg
Case blue scroll - 3.jpg
Life would be meaningless if we couldn't wish for anything.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: WOW boys ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Here's a plain bolster set I rounded up and store in a Blue Scroll Clasp pumpkin box. It was the first set I got hooked on; the stag, stainless and etching cannot be beat! ::tu::

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So how does this Case Baby Doc fit into that whole Blue Scroll thing? I'm sure it doesn't fit into what y'all are posting but I'm wondering, is it some later run they made or what?
Attachments
Case Baby Doc Blue Scroll Stag.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice baby doc jerryd! Case did a later run of Blue Scrolls in different patterns, can't remember if it was late 90s or in the 2000s? ::shrug:: Whats on the tang stamp?

Edit- 2006?

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I knew someone was going to ask that. Yes, 2006. 5282 SP-SS
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

wishful wrote:Wazu, Here is a complete set I have.
wishful,
Nice set of Blues ::tu:: Are they all numbered the same? My 5 pieces have 3 different numbers,2x028,2x749 & 1x806. I always thought that someday I would run into somebody that had the engraved Cheetah or Trapper as singles that would trade me for my plain Cheetah and Trapper and some cash or another knife. I gave up on the idea a couple of years ago. Now I'm getting ready to sell most of the knives I've posted in this forum and start building another collection and get my kitchen remodeled. I just bought a new camera so I can get some nice pics.

redrider,
Isin't the stag on these knives great? It's easy to get hooked on it for sure ::woot::
wazu013
wishful

Post by wishful »

Yes, they are all numbered the same. I bought them as a set.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Here's an odd one for ya.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Elvis wrote:Here's an odd one for ya.
You got sum splaining to do ::suspense::
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Just seems to have slipped out of the factory without any of the tang stamps. ::shrug::
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Elvis wrote:Just seems to have slipped out of the factory without any of the tang stamps. ::shrug::
::hmm:: ::sneaky:: ::paranoid::
TYCON66

Post by TYCON66 »

I was at a flee market in savannah GA. on 2-10-13 and saw three case knives at an antique shop. It was a hunter,trapper and modle 52087 all blue scroll with engraved bolster. I am not sure how to grade knives but they look mint to me. He was asking $55 for the hunter,$40 for the trapper, and $30 for the 52087. So i asked him how much he would take for all three and he says $90. So i did not know what a deal i got until i got home and surfed the web. The set is #153. Sure would like to find the other four knives that makes the set complete. Not thinking thats going to happen.
wishful

Post by wishful »

TYCON66, I had 2 sets like the set I showed above. I sold one set for $1200 in the original wooden case. Gary
TYCON66

Post by TYCON66 »

Yeah I would like to have the set. Probably will never find another deal like that. Might go back and try getting some info from the antique dealer as to where I might find the other knives in the set. Never know unless you ask.
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Super nice blues. Case made some fixed blades at the same time. Did they have any with scrolling???
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Magoo,
There were 4 fixed blade knives in the set that I am aware of. All had the Blue Scroll etch as far as I know. Complete Set came with 8 folders and 4 fixed blades. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Here are two 1977' Engraved 5111-1/2LSSP knives I just picked up. The guy I bought from is sitting on 10 more, will be buying more of these. Only 1000 made and of course, from broken sets. Handpicked over the last 30 plus years. No wobble or slop whatsoever on these knives. Sick Stag!
Regards, Jerry
Attachments
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side SN 028 and 682.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side SN 028 and 682.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
wishful

Post by wishful »

Jerry, According to your post, apparently Case made 2 different blue scroll sets. One with folders and fixed blades, and one with folders only. I have 2 sets of the engraved folders (8 knives) in the original Case wooden case, but I have never seen the set with fixed blades included. I would like to see a set if anyone has one. I always assumed (dumb me) that the blue scroll fixed blades were a set by themselves, and I have seen those. Gary
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I call that honey stag. Sweeeeeeeeeeet as honey! ::ds::

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

1967redrider wrote:I call that honey stag. Sweeeeeeeeeeet as honey! ::ds::
Thanks RR, really on a Stag kick lately. As far as CASE stag goes, there may have been an embargo or shortage in the 70s but some of the best CASE stag in my opinion across all eras was from this timeframe. And on a 11-1/2 frame, my weakness. Just bought another 77' 5111-1/2LSSP non engraved to go with the herd.

Wishful, I can only speak to what I have read. Sargents 7th, Tony Foster's yearly price guide and Pocket Trader #9, the info is ambiguous in my opinion. One thing that is consistent is that 19,000 non engraved and 1000 engraved sets were made. After that the waters get muddy. Both of Foster's references are for a set of 12, 8 folders and 4 fixed blades. It appears all the references I mentioned agree that 5000 sets of the 4 fixed blade knives were made. Since the numbers don't match as far as sets offered, I will assume that this fixed knife set was actually a "Blue Scroll Sub set", if you will. I don't think any of the fixed blade Blue Scrolls were engraved. Not totally 100% sure on what I have stated but best I can tell at this point with the reference material I have. Hopefully someone more knowledgable on this matter wil chime in.

BTW, there is another 10 dot Cheetah Proto floating around for sale. Just saw in a price list I got today. No dog in this fight so nothing in it for me. Haven't seen the knife but if it is what it is and I had 5 grand to spare to buy another example of this proto, I would.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
wishful

Post by wishful »

I have a near mint 1977 5111-1/2LSSP for sale also.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Wazu,
I just realized in reading your OP that I have the serial number brother 77' 5111-1/2LSSP Engraved Blue Scroll to your engraved 5347 and 5172. Serial number 028. Makes one wonder where they have been and where the rest are....

In addition to the non engraved 77' 5111-1/2LSSP I bought today, I pulled the trigger on another engraved one. More of a "dimply" stag one the pile side, still real sick as stag goes. Serial number 709. Will post when I get them. With only 1000 made, more rare than the 71' Cheetahs as far as quantities made. I will continue to buy them as long as my wallet holds up. The seller is a stand up guy who handpicked these knives. Really tight with absolutely no wobble or back to front play.

Regards, Jerry
Jamfish50

Post by Jamfish50 »

blue scroll has always been one of my favorites,but with engraved bolsters. Awesome-jamfish50

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”