Would like info. on this knife.

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
wazu013

Would like info. on this knife.

Post by wazu013 »

Can you give me any information on this knife. It's a model 813 Workman. Did Buck actually make them? If not who did? What type of steel was used, etc.
Thank you,
wazu013
Attachments
Buck Asst..JPG
Buck..JPG
Buck.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
300Bucks

Re: Would like info. on this knife.

Post by 300Bucks »

Waz,

I am not the expert in this area, mostly just X-spurt. But your 813 / (1993) is from the early 90's promotion Buck did called the Workman TM series. They produced three models for a couple of years and then dropped the line. The one blade is a 811, a two blade is 812, yours is the 3 blade 813. The / after the model number dates its blade stamped in 1993. The Workman series promotion was aimed at knives for the working guys, expecially for box, carpet and vinyl cutting. The were produced by Buck and have the standard Buck 420HC steel in there blades. Most had the Workman symbol and letters on the blade, but you will find some without the printing and some where with a light application of steel wool the owner removed the ink. Value is usually not extremely high but guys with Buck collections sometimes pay a good price for unused one with box.

A few were special runs for companies with special printing on the blade, I have a burgandy colored handle with "Grainger" printed on the main blade. I know there is one guy that posts over on another forum that talks like he 'collects' these but his contact information slips my mind.....They are a rough and tuff knife, that was made in the Buck factory. Do you know about Bucks post 85 blade date stampings.?

300Bucks
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

300Bucks wrote:Waz,

I am not the expert in this area, mostly just X-spurt. But your 813 / (1993) is from the early 90's promotion Buck did called the Workman TM series. They produced three models for a couple of years and then dropped the line. The one blade is a 811, a two blade is 812, yours is the 3 blade 813. The / after the model number dates its blade stamped in 1993. The Workman series promotion was aimed at knives for the working guys, expecially for box, carpet and vinyl cutting. The were produced by Buck and have the standard Buck 420HC steel in there blades. Most had the Workman symbol and letters on the blade, but you will find some without the printing and some where with a light application of steel wool the owner removed the ink. Value is usually not extremely high but guys with Buck collections sometimes pay a good price for unused one with box.

A few were special runs for companies with special printing on the blade, I have a burgandy colored handle with "Grainger" printed on the main blade. I know there is one guy that posts over on another forum that talks like he 'collects' these but his contact information slips my mind.....They are a rough and tuff knife, that was made in the Buck factory. Do you know about Bucks post 85 blade date stampings.?

300Bucks
Thanks for all the great infiomation. You hit the nail on the head when you said it was a rough tough knife. As for the date stamping I do know about it and in fact I have a little chart but it's ten years old. I have a small number of Buck knives in my collection mostly Pre 1985. Buck was the only knife I would carry and use when I was in my 20's over 30 years ago. In fact I always thought they blew Case away for durabilty. I have since learned to appreciate Case as a collectable but I carry a Buck 112 and camp with a 119. Old habits are hard to quit.
Once again thanks for the info,
Mike
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Mike, At the top of this forum is a date chart out to 2012. Symbols have been published in another forum that go out to 2021`. I bet if you go to the Buck Website somewhere in there is a long date chart to copy.....300
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Let me jump back in here and be precise. There are several other models besides the 800's shown that carried the Workman TM printing and promotion. Catalogs from that era will show several 'regular' folders along with at least one straight knife, I believe. Even some 300's.

The 800's models were not the only 'Buck Workman".
300Bucks
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Got it ::tu:: Thanks again.
I'd like to see some of the other patterns especially the straght one and the Red Grainger, no pun intended ::doh::

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”