Old Case pocket knives question.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
rkaa2414626

Old Case pocket knives question.

Post by rkaa2414626 »

I recently had a great uncle pass away, and while cleaning out his things I came across 7 old Case pocket knives. At first I figured I would just throw them in a coffee can in my garage, but someone at work told me they were actually kind of collectable. After a little ebay search, I see they are going anywhere from $40-400 depending on the year,style, & condition.

So here are my questions. They all say Case xx U.S.A on one side of the base of the blade, and 6217 on the other. As stated there is quite a swing in value on ebay, so how does one tell which ones are more valuable?? 5 have one material for handles, and 2 look the same but the material is different. Anyone have any experience with Case? Also they range from what I would call very good condition, to having surface rust in a few spots. Should I try and clean them up, or leave them alone if I were to try and place them on ebay? I by no means am into pocket knives, so I figured this was a good a place as any to ask for info.

Thanks &Regards
basser5

Re: Old Case pocket knives question.

Post by basser5 »

Welcome to AAPK ::handshake::

There are a lot of Case collectors here that can help you.

You need to help them by posting some pictures of the knives with any markings shown.

Tim

Edit;.............and don't clean them.
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
rkaa2414626

Post by rkaa2414626 »

basser5 wrote:Welcome to APPK ::handshake::

There are a lot of Case collectors here that can help you.

You need to help them by posting some pictures of the knives with any markings shown.

Tim

Edit;.............and don't clean them.

Thank you, I will post up pics this evening after work.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK.

Please make them good clear pictures that are in focus. I ask because sometimes folks ask for help on a knife and the picture provided is so dark and out of focus you can hardly tell it's a knife. I hope you understand and don't take offense because of the request.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
rkaa2414626

Post by rkaa2414626 »

jerryd6818 wrote: I hope you understand and don't take offense because of the request.
Not at all, I completely understand. I have 1 image that is not that good, and I will take additional pictures tonight. As stated, all the knives appear to be the same with slight differences in the handles and dots on the blade some have dots, some dont. Here is the one pic I do have, it just has 4 of the case knives, I have 3 others that are very similar. I just had this on my phone from last night.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The top four knives are "Loom Fixers" (sometimes called the "half hawk bill"). That's Cases #17 pattern. I may be way off base here because I'm not a Case guy, by any stretch of the imagination but I believe these would be 6217's with what looks to my inexperienced eye, red bone handles, 1945-1964. (see dating Case knives here -- http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wr_ ... cation.php ) Edit: Well sheesh. You said 6217 in your first post. Sure sucks to get old.

I think those two smaller knives (lower right) are the "Peanut" pattern. ::shrug::

I can hardly wait for one of the real Case guys to get here to see if I'm right (I'm positive on the Loom Fixer part).

I've "adjusted" the picture to make the knives a little easier to see.
Attachments
2012-08-01_14-19-59_608.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

You are dead on, Jerry. 6217 is a 'loom fixer'.

RKAA, a close-up of the main blade tang stamps will help us determine age/potential value. Case made these at least into the mid 70's. My one and only 6217 is a 1974 model. It was the first knife I ever bought to 'collect', with no intention of using. I was a loom fixer back in the day....... :lol:

Man, LOVE the ones you have! ::drool::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
rkaa2414626

Post by rkaa2414626 »

The pics are not great, a few of the blades have adhesive on them and it looks much worse than it is, but as stated I have not tried to clean them up at all because I was unsure if that was a NO NO.

I realize a few of them are rough and need a little TLC. Also, I see there is a thread here about restoring these exact knives, I could use a little garage time anyways. Should I take a stab at it or should I just list the lot on ebay as they are?

ETA: I have 2 more now!!!

In advance, Thank you so much for any info
Regards
Rob
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

:oops: :oops: :oops: I see I got the dates wrong. These are from the 70s.

10 dots = 1970
9 dots = 1971
8 dots = 1972
7 dots = 1973

Well, you get the idea.

Man, your uncle was a Loom Fixer-aholic and very nice ones too. I'm no eBay sales expert but I think most will agree you'll get more for them if they're shiny (shiny sells. Especially knives as recent as those) AND if you can be patient enough to spread them out. I think if you flood the market with them, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot, money wise. Maybe one a month if you can be that patient.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bamafan

Post by bamafan »

A couple of the ones you have have wood handles--referred to Pakkawood. The shield without a line around the outer edge is definitely wood. The stamp without any dots underneath dates b/t 1965-69 era.
"
rkaa2414626

Post by rkaa2414626 »

jerryd6818 wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: I see I got the dates wrong. These are from the 70s.

10 dots = 1970
9 dots = 1971
8 dots = 1972
7 dots = 1973

Well, you get the idea.

Man, your uncle was a Loom Fixer-aholic and very nice ones too. I'm no eBay sales expert but I think most will agree you'll get more for them if they're shiny (shiny sells. Especially knives as recent as those) AND if you can be patient enough to spread them out. I think if you flood the market with them, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot, money wise. Maybe one a month if you can be that patient.

Thank you so much for the help, & advice.

It's always cool to find a new forum with friendly/knowledgeable folks. Again I really appreciate all the help, and pointing me in the right directions.

Regards
Rob
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
rkaa2414626

Post by rkaa2414626 »

Yea, thats me. Have to rework the post to add the other knives. I have been waiting for the weekend so I could use a desktop pc. My phone is hard edit posts.
rkaa2414626

Post by rkaa2414626 »

I have received a few PM's, and know that there are a few people watching the thread.

I have located a Red Bone fixxer in it's original paper wrapper from the factory. It appears to have never been opened, and will gets picks up later. Please PM me if interested.

Regards
Rob

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”