info on voss pocket knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
songsingingman

info on voss pocket knife

Post by songsingingman »

Hey Friends,
I'm here looking for info on a knife my brother has. It is all metal has BEST WARDLOW STEEL FULLY WARRANTED engraved on the handle.
Has a spear point main blade and a pen blade . Is about 3.5 inches long. Has the Voss usa stamp on the main blade and says LC
Simmons ST. Louis on the pen blade. I think its a hardware brand knife. Just wonder when it was made and what kind of value or collectiable it has. Any info would be appreciated. I'll try to upload a couple of pictures. The man he got it from said it was made of nickle metal whatever that means. Thanks for any replies,Songsingingman :? :?
Attachments
voss pocket knife
voss pocket knife
knife 001.JPG
Alvie Addison
robinetn

Re: info on voss pocket knife

Post by robinetn »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a wild guess , but it sounds like a "frankenknife" consisting of a John Primble India Steel frame , an E.C.Simmons pen blade , and a Voss ??? U.S.A. master blade . ::shrug:: .

Bob
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The tang is stamped Voos U.S.A., not Voss.

Voos marketed knives to hardware companies, so I am not surprised to see an E.C. Simmons pen blade in there.

The handles are engraved Nickle Silver, the same material as a nickle in your pocket is made of, it is also called German silver.
AAPK Janitor
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I remember seeing it called "white brass", somewhere.

This came out of Wikipedia:

Nickel silver, also known as German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, or alpacca, is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated. The name "German silver" refers to its development by 19th-century German metalworkers in imitation of the Chinese alloy known as paktong (Cupronickel) All modern, commercially important nickel silvers (such as those standardized under ASTM B122) contain significant amounts of zinc, and are sometimes considered a subset of brass.

Another interesting statement from that Wikipedia article:

After about 1920, its use became widespread for pocketknife bolsters, due to its machinability and corrosion resistance. Prior to this point, the most common metal was iron.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

here is a pic of my wardlow. the main tang stamp has hibbard, spencer, bartlett. the pen tang has a diamond with h.s.b.&co., over top and chicago, below.
002.JPG
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

Miller Bro`s wrote:The tang is stamped Voos U.S.A., not Voss.

Voos marketed knives to hardware companies, so I am not surprised to see an E.C. Simmons pen blade in there.

The handles are engraved Nickle Silver, the same material as a nickle in your pocket is made of, it is also called German silver.
That was my first thought , but I am pretty sure that I see 2 ess'es on the tang stamp of the master , although , I have never seen a Voss U.S.A. before .

Bob
songsingingman

Post by songsingingman »

Thanks Fellows,
It is marked Voos instead of V :) oss. Can anyone tell me what the price range is on these? When were they made? I'm thinking maybe the fifties?
THANKS Again,Alvie songsingingman
Alvie Addison
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

when it comes to older knives like these, it all depends on who really wants it. there really is no book value. but my guess would be in the $25 to $40 range.

btw, my guess would also be made in the 50"s

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”