Iroquois

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
313 Mike

Iroquois

Post by 313 Mike »

I did some searching here on the site and did not find a thread about Iroquois brand knives, so I thought I'd post a pic of the one I just received...I was able to learn that they were most likely made by Utica in New York between 1920-1940...anyone have any other Iroquois knives to show or info to share?
Mike
Iroquois Jack 001.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Iroquois

Post by orvet »

Goins guesstimates 1920-1940, but has nothing else listed.
Levine's guide fourth edition dates it circa 1930s-1940s, and probably made by Utica.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Yep Dale, that's about what I've found too.
Are there any Utica catalogs that have a section with the Iroquois knives listed i wonder...? Were they a less expensive version of the Utica knives, or just a different line?

This is a Utica that I have, and it except the shield and tang stamp, it is virtually the same as the Iroquois...
utica.jpg
utica.jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
utica_tang.jpg
utica_tang.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
Mike

gringo

Post by gringo »

i have one of those...i forget the tang stamp...same knife...sturdy...broke a thumb nail the first time i opened it...after lubrication
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

...So while researching this Iroquois stamp in my "Big Book Of Pocket Knives" fourth edition by Ron Stewert, I found the following info..."About 1925 Utica Cutlery Co, Utica NY changed its stamp to Kutmaster USA"

...so if the Iroquois knife was made by Utica, then the Iroquois would have to be pre-1925 also then......correct?
Mike

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

313 Mike wrote:...So while researching this Iroquois stamp in my "Big Book Of Pocket Knives" fourth edition by Ron Stewert, I found the following info..."About 1925 Utica Cutlery Co, Utica NY changed its stamp to Kutmaster USA"

...so if the Iroquois knife was made by Utica, then the Iroquois would have to be pre-1925 also then......correct?
Mike, according to what I've read in Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings Utica did not utilize the "Kutmaster" trademark until 1937. It goes on to say that the "Kutmaster" stamping eventually replaced all other markings (although it fails to specify when that took place).

It also shows stampings from a 1928 Utica Cutlery Company catalog which include "UTK" overstamped with "Supreme" dated 1910, a horseshoe with the words "Good" and "Luck" on the horseshoe and "T" over "K" inside the horseshoe, dated 1929. "Pocket Pard" was shown dated 1929, "Seneca" is dated 1932, "Kutmaster" is dated 1937, and the shape of a long feather with the word "Featherweight" inside the outline of the feather is dated 1933.
The ad does not list the "Iroquois" stamping, although, as previously stated, the book shows elsewhere that "Iroquois" was used from c. 1920-1940.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Ahhh...very interesting Phil! I hope there isn't too much other wrong info in this book of mine, I've kind of been operating under the assumption that it was accurate. I know there is a lot of info out there, makes it challenging to sort through it all and get a clear picture, but that is part of the fun of it all. Thanks much for the info, you are a well of knowledge and I appreciate you taking the time to help me wade through this stuff and get to the bottom of things!
Mike
Mike

whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

My book shows Iroquois as being a Utica house brand from 1930-1940.
Hey Phil, (or anyone who has a Goin's book) does Goin's show a date for a Utica Knife & Razor Co.? My book shows it as being Utica's first mark from 1910-1929, then changed to Utica Cut. Co. in 1929. Just wondered how Goin's listed it, if at all.

Thanks

WB
dudleythetogi

Post by dudleythetogi »

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Here's what Goin's has:

UTICA KNIFE & RAZOR COMP. UTICA N.Y. c. 1924-1935
"Red Point" is stamped on the front of the tang.. Located in Utica, New York at 209 John Street about 1924. In that year the Mailman Bros., Joseph L., Abraham L., and Samuel began using the trademark "Pal." Otto E. Kraus was advertising and sales manager.

In 1924, they displayed a full line of "Red Point" razors and pocket knives. By 1935, the manufacturing plant was in Plattsburg, New York and went by the name Pal Cutlery Company. The usual marking found on their products is "U. K. & R."
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Wow, big difference between Price and Goins!
Price says "Utica Cuttlery Co., This Utica, New York, company was founded as a metal working factory and named Utica Knife & Razor Co., In 1929 the name was changed to Utica Cutlery Co."
Voyles doesn't list Utica Knife & Razor at all, and doesn't mention the stamping in the reference material on Utica Cut. Co.
Very interesting! ::hmm::
Sorry to get off topic, thanks for the info Phil!

WB
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::paranoid:: Off topic ? Who's off topic? ::paranoid::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I still say it's,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM[/youtube]

WB
Maintain

Post by Maintain »

Just purchased this on EBay in a lot. Love the Marllte handle scales! Needs a little work on it, but great action, and not that bad of a condition. I’m happy to add this to my collection.
Attachments
IMG_0007.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg
Gamby38

Post by Gamby38 »

I haven't Iroquois cutlery company toothpick and that's all it has no USA no Utica no nothing is this an early Iroquois tank stamp reads Iroquois cutlery company. This knife is made of great quality down to the nickel silver bolsters brass linings and jig bone scales.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

From 1890 until 1965 there was no law requiring items made in USA be stamped with country of origin (COO). Only foreign made knives imported for sale in USA required a COO stamp, the result of the 1890 Tariff Act.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sibyrnes
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sibyrnes »

Here’s mine:
575DD3C6-E7C6-4469-A9EE-EAE4E8D17085.jpeg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Maintain wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:38 am Just purchased this on EBay in a lot. Love the Marllte handle scales! Needs a little work on it, but great action, and not that bad of a condition. I’m happy to add this to my collection.
Looks like one of the tip bolsters is missing. Going to be more than a little work, but it's a nice old knife worth fixing.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Recently, this pocket knife arrived in a group or lot of pocket knives that I purchased. It now becomes my first example to be posted under this topic or thread. I did NOT purchase the group or lot of pocket knives to obtain this particular pocket knife. However, it will get added to my general, pocket knife accumulation. It is an IROQUOIS, two blades, one tang stamp, 3 1/8" closed, tipped bolsters, two springs, pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says, "IROQUOIS (over) MADE IN U.S.A." The main blade does NOT have a half stop, with NO opening or closing snap. The secondary blade also has NO half stop and NO opening or closing snap. Each of the two handle scales has a small piece missing. But overall, this pocket knife is in GOOD condition. It did need a small amount of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Iroquois tear drop jack recently at a gun show. It is 3 and 3/8 inches OAL, has half stops on both blades, and is handled in what appears to be candy stripe celluloid. It has a different tang stamp than my other Iroquois in that it is circled and says Utica NY. It also has the number 29 stamped on the pile side of the clip blade.
IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG
ThatWeirdKnifeGuy
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by ThatWeirdKnifeGuy »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:09 pm It also has the number 29 stamped on the pile side of the clip blade.
I used to have an Iroquois stamped 21 on the pile side. I wondered if it was pattern number or production year, because I think the time frame would be right, 1920's to early 30's.
::nod:: https://newlifeknives.etsy.com ::nod::

That's my Etsy store where I sell old knives and sometimes handmade knife accessories to support my knife habbit. Thanks for looking my friend. ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:09 pm I picked up this Iroquois tear drop jack recently at a gun show. It is 3 and 3/8 inches OAL, has half stops on both blades, and is handled in what appears to be candy stripe celluloid. It has a different tang stamp than my other Iroquois in that it is circled and says Utica NY. It also has the number 29 stamped on the pile side of the clip blade.
IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG

Cool knife. I've never seen one like this.
All the ones that I have seen have been inexpensive looking with tip bolsters.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

edge213 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:29 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:09 pm I picked up this Iroquois tear drop jack recently at a gun show. It is 3 and 3/8 inches OAL, has half stops on both blades, and is handled in what appears to be candy stripe celluloid. It has a different tang stamp than my other Iroquois in that it is circled and says Utica NY. It also has the number 29 stamped on the pile side of the clip blade.
IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG

Cool knife. I've never seen one like this.
All the ones that I have seen have been inexpensive looking with tip bolsters.
That's what I thought when I first looked at it. The only other one I have and all others I have seen have been tip bolstered. I wonder which style is older/newer, the tang stamps are different with the circle.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool pick up.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”