Canal Street Canntiler

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
RSD100

Canal Street Canntiler

Post by RSD100 »

Just received two Canal Street Canntilers in the mail. Wow, what great knives! I have been collecting knives since elementary school (50 years plus), and in the last ten years have been partial to Canoe patterns, and Whittlers for their difficulty in making. The Canal Street Cannitlers combine the two. At first, I thought the two back springs were the same width thru out, :(. But then, I looked close, and the two springs taper to 4mm on the main blade, from 5mm on the two small blades, :)). Excellent fit and finish. The main blade is a beast at 4mm, and the D2 steel shaves right out of the box. Now, the hard part is to start using one ( the Chestnut, probably), or to put them both away..... (PS: I am not connected with Canal Street, or the Droppoint Store, in any way; just a very happy customer), Scott
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Canntiler

Post by philco »

Scott,

Is there any way you can post a picture or two of those knives ? What was the handle material of the second knife ?

I am a big Canal Street fan. I've collected a few over the past couple of years and I am continually impressed with the overall quality and appearance of the knives Canal Street is turning out. I was reluctant to take one of my new Canal Streets and make a user knife out of it but I finally broke over and did so. I've been extremely pleased with it and glad I decided to put it to work. That D2 blade steel is awesome!

http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... 71&t=21189

My advice is to put one of those beauties in your pocket and enjoy it to its fullest by making it your EDC.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Big Barn

Post by Big Barn »

Here is a picture of mine. I got this one a year ago or maybe two. It is in my EDC rotation. Now, if you want a beast of a canoe - try a gunboat!
Attachments
CSC-313324-Canal-Street-Amber-Bone-Cannitler.jpg
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Nice lookin Canoe there Big Barn, Looks really stout. I like knives like that ::nod::
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

philco wrote:Scott,

Is there any way you can post a picture or two of those knives ? What was the handle material of the second knife ?
Sure Phil, I will try to post some photos this weekend. The second knife is the Tortoise Shell (imitation, of course). I still can't believe the fine edge that all three blades came with. It used to take me a long time to get a shaving edge close to Canal Street's on my old T29 electricians knife - my EDC at the paper mills in my late teens - early 20s.
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

Here are a couple of photos of the Chestnut and Tortoise Shell Cannitlers
Attachments
IMG_0918comp.jpg
IMG_0929comp.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Very nice ! ::tu::

I don't recall seeing the tortoise shell previously, at least not from Canal Street.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
boggs

Post by boggs »

That Tortoise Shell is beautiful...now if Canal Street would only move it over to a Stockman or Swell Center pattern...hint,hint Michael........
Jim
Vivat Jesus
Knights of Columbus - PGK

"Hold Fast"
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

I can take a hint boggs - it's on my mind. Swell Center Jack and Stockman. Check : )
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

by the way - I just rephotographed the tortoise shell - my daughter gave me a lesson. Check it out.
ImageImage
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
gino

Post by gino »

D.P. that bottom one on th right is sweet looking! I might have to get one of those. ::drool::
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

I have a couple on order from 2007; NIB. One is Amber Camel Bone (only 25 made?) the other Amber Jig Bone. I beleive the second will be in the EDC rotation with a couple of Case canoes. Looking forward to seeing my first Canal Street knives!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are gorgeous. ::drool::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

titanNV wrote:I have a couple on order from 2007; NIB. One is Amber Camel Bone (only 25 made?) the other Amber Jig Bone. I beleive the second will be in the EDC rotation with a couple of Case canoes. Looking forward to seeing my first Canal Street knives!!

Be sure and let us know how you like them and post some pictures here if you can.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

Will do! Hope to see 'em in a week! ::tu::
titanNV

Re: Canal Street Cannitler

Post by titanNV »

philco wrote:
titanNV wrote:I have a couple on order from 2007; NIB. One is Amber Camel Bone (only 25 made?) the other Amber Jig Bone. I beleive the second will be in the EDC rotation with a couple of Case canoes. Looking forward to seeing my first Canal Street knives!!

Be sure and let us know how you like them and post some pictures here if you can.
Well the camel bone one was rusty inside - not NIB as described. So, sent that one back.

I am a canoe fan - but I think I might be more of a Cannitler now! These are real nice knives for the sub $100 range!

I believe Top is the standard Amber Jig bone;
Middle "Royal Blue Bone"
Bottom I "Green Stag Bone"
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Nice ones Titan! Not many of those blue bones out there ::tu::

Eric
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm not much on the Canoe pattern so I don't understand why I'm drawn to these Cannitlers. Those are some very attractive knives. Thanks for showing them.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

Thanks!

I bought the first one for EDC but too pretty and the number was fairly low. Found a used one for $35 and got it today. It will be in my rotation along with a Case canoe or two. Size wise, nearly identical to canoes. You just get an extra blade!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Beautiful knives. Like Eric said, that blue bone is a hard one to locate.

You've got the start of one mighty nice collection there. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”