Unusual tang stamp on Uncle Henry

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KeithB1982

Unusual tang stamp on Uncle Henry

Post by KeithB1982 »

I recently purchased a Schrade-Walden Uncle Henry 227UH. The chart at http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/sch ... _henry.php indicates it was manufactured from 1973 to 1986. The knife appears to be made from the Schrade-Walden 225H pattern.

The tang step on the knife is:

Schrade-Walden
Stainless
227UH

The stamping is unusual because the "Stainless" portion has taken the place of N.Y. USA.

The tang stamp on the 225H is:
Schrade-Walden
N.Y. USA
225H

With the "Stainless" stamp and the Schrade-Walden lable it is obvious this knife would have to be an early edition of the 227UH, perhaps being made when tang stamps were in flux.

I had a 227UH (which I should have bought more than one of and kept in NIB as an investment) in '80 or '81. It had the standard Schrade+ tang stamp. Every other 227UH I have seen, with the exception of those made by Taylor, use the Schrade+ stamp.
The stamp does not match any of the stamps below:

The closest match is the 1973 Schrade-Walden tang stamp, but it omits the N.Y. USA.
robinetn

Re: Unusual tang stamp on Uncle Henry

Post by robinetn »

If it doesn't have U.S.A. on the tang stamp it is a "Taylor Made" from you know where ! ::skeptic::

P.S. Check out the tang stamp on the knife in the listing below (it is a Taylor) .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Keith,
Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::

The list of tang stamps you posted was published in Knife World in 2004 By B.K. Brooks.
It is by no means an exhaustive list.

First about your knife, is it new? If so I think robintn is right, you have a new knife imported by Taylor Brands LLC from China.

If you can post pictures of the knife, and especially the tang stamp we can probably tell you.

Welcome aboard AAPK!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The first 227UH knives with the two blades and the first 127UH knives with one blade did NOT have U.S.A. in the tang stamp. Here are examples. The second picture doesn't show the complete tang stamp properly because of my poor scan, but I assure you these knives are early authentic and there is NO U.S.A. All is proper and good.

KeithB1982

Post by KeithB1982 »

tongueriver wrote:The first 227UH knives with the two blades and the first 127UH knives with one blade did NOT have U.S.A. in the tang stamp. Here are examples. The second picture doesn't show the complete tang stamp properly because of my poor scan, but I assure you these knives are early authentic and there is NO U.S.A. All is proper and good.

That is the exact tang stamp my knife has. These are definitely not the new made in China version. The knife is definitely not new, has been sharpened several times and has been carried. The Taylor knives knives have a definite difference in the delrin handles from an older Uncle Henry that has yellowed a bit with age. The tang stamps are also not Schrade-Walden.

I bought the knife primarily because I had bought one around 1980 as a 15 year old, and traded it for a Boker Tree Brand, which I later traded for an LB7, which I carried for a long time and still have.

Looks like the Schrade-Walden stamp makes the 227UH likely a '73 model.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

tongueriver wrote:The first 227UH knives with the two blades and the first 127UH knives with one blade did NOT have U.S.A. in the tang stamp. Here are examples. The second picture doesn't show the complete tang stamp properly because of my poor scan, but I assure you these knives are early authentic and there is NO U.S.A. All is proper and good.

Thanks for posting this info Cal. ::tu::
I don't have either the 127UH or the 227UH with the Schrade Walden tang stamps and was unaware of the fact the U.S.A. was missing from the tang stamps.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gringo

Post by gringo »

the knife the post office lost had the same tang stamp dale...
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Taylor uses the Schrade,Walden tang stamp on there new knives I have one with the stamp.I don't know if that is one of the Taylor's.It looks to be a old Schrade.
Attachments
DSCF0115.JPG
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”