Whittling gloves

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
ziggy925

Whittling gloves

Post by ziggy925 »

In my search around the Net I've come across a lot of whittling gloves. Seems like a good idea, but I was wondering if a pair of leather work gloves would do just as well, or if those special whitling gloves are worth it?
Big Barn

Re: Whittling gloves

Post by Big Barn »

A leather glove will help a little against the small slips. However, a sharp knife will go right thru leather in both a stab & a slice. The whittling gloves or I perfer a fish scaling glove from most outdoor sporting goods stores (Bass Pro/Gander Mt, etc...). These will definetly improve your chances of not getting sliced but not stabbed. I only use a wrapped leather thumb guard but I recommend a glove to any new carver.
redferd

Post by redferd »

I was wondering about the "Ove Glove" brand? Has anyone tried those for whittling? Kind of bulky but if they keep the blade away from the hands, they might be worth it? ::shrug::
popedandy

Post by popedandy »

It doesn't take very many stitches to make the special glove seem like a pretty good idea. If you decide to go with a leather glove, you can improve its puncture resistance by wrapping a few layers of duct tape around the parts that are likely to sustain contact with the cutting edge.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I have saw gloves made from Kevlar for whittling for less than $5.00 online.I have never used one yet but it looks like the thing to have.It seems, it would give more protection than a leather glove would.Good luck,have fun and keep whittling.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”