MT IDA ARK. ???????

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
MrBlister

MT IDA ARK. ???????

Post by MrBlister »

Anybody ever herd of ,, or know anything bout this thang??

favors a Schrade 881

thanks in advance.. Dave
Attachments
depot+mtida 006.JPG
depot+mtida 007.JPG
depot+mtida 009.JPG
knife7knut

Re: MT IDA ARK. ???????

Post by knife7knut »

That's a new one on me MB.Maybe they were specially made for Charley Weaver;only I think he pronounced it Mount Idy. If you aren't familiar with Charley Weaver,look him up.Guess I'm dating myself again. :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
pwcb2005

Post by pwcb2005 »

That appears to be a McCoy knife made in Mt. Ida Arkansas. Look up the Real McCoy pocket knife on google. They also make whet stones and other abrasives because the factory borders Hot Springs. This area is where the soft and hard Arkansas whet stones come from.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Thanks.. it WAS a McCoy...!!!
pwcb2005

Post by pwcb2005 »

Welcome. There are a lot of them around arkansas and missouri. They look ok in quality, but i never bought one because they are $50 + for the pattern i like and i can get a good case for that. However i am broadening my horizons so i may buy one! do you like yours?
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

NOT mine.. this one belongs to sweet ole man in my town.. I told him i'd try to find out bout his knife for him.. thanks to you, ive emailed the company to poss get a sheild for the ole man.. He thinks so much of it, that he leaves the CASEs at home and carries this n...thanks again Dave
pwcb2005

Post by pwcb2005 »

This made my night! Glad I could help! I will probably go buy one now knowing how your friend likes his! Thank you! ::tu::
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

pwcb2005 wrote:That appears to be a McCoy knife made in Mt. Ida Arkansas. Look up the Real McCoy pocket knife on google. They also make whet stones and other abrasives because the factory borders Hot Springs. This area is where the soft and hard Arkansas whet stones come from.
It would be interesting if someone in the Arkansas area could visit Mt. Ida and check out the McCoy "knife factory" . The patent # on the blade of the knife in question belongs to Colonial and the knife strongly resembles Colonial's Ranger .

Bob
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

robinetn

Post by robinetn »

Hey MB ,
I've read all of their web info , but I can't find where they say that they manufacture knives . Of course the early Col. Coon knives also had the Colonial pat. #'s on their blades . ::shrug:: ... Just say'in ?? (All of the "Real McCoys" that I had my hands on 10 - 20 years ago just felt like Colonials)

Bob
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

LATER Colonel COONS were colonials..
The FIRST COONS 78-89 were made in Columbia TN
by Adrian Harris
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

MrBlister wrote:LATER Colonel COONS were colonials..
The FIRST COONS 78-89 were made in Columbia TN
by Adrian Harris
Colonial parts assembled by Adrian in Columbia .
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Of course the early Col. Coon knives also had the Colonial pat. #'s on their blades
Early COONS had NOBODYS pat #'s
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

MrBlister wrote:
Of course the early Col. Coon knives also had the Colonial pat. #'s on their blades
Early COONS had NOBODYS pat #'s
I have at least one from the 70's (I think) with pat. # ' s . I will try to find it and post it tomorrow . On the website that chronicles his beginnings they state that he purchased his blade blanks from various sources .
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

ROB.... many a time Ive deferred to yer experience AND wisdom on CASE..
And well deserved....
Contesting what i know bout EARLY Coons is futile..

regards Dave
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Bout 11/10 th's of the knives shown here WERE or ARE mine..

***smiles

http://www.colonelcoon.net/
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

MrBlister wrote:Bout 11/10 th's of the knives shown here WERE or ARE mine..

***smiles
There's probably not a more collectible knife on the market today ! ::drool::

http://www.colonelcoon.net/
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

Here are 2 of the early Col. Coons with pat. nos. that I previously mentioned . The barlow is from the Unofficial Col. Coon website compliments of Dave and the used stockman with the poor pictures is from my "box" . The stockman has been the subject of controversy in previous posts but SMKW holds that it was made in the mid 1970's .

I found a much better pic of my stockman at the following link .
http://www.colonelcoon.net/ccgallery/56 ... fe__7_.htm
Attachments
barlow-adrian-name-aapk-member.jpg
barlow-adrian-name-aapk-member.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
027.JPG
024.JPG
026.JPG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Not to disrupt the Col. Coon discussion, but looking at the photo of the current lineup on the link posted by MrBlister, it strikes me that many of the knives shown look very much like Bear and Sons products.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
pwcb2005

Post by pwcb2005 »

Check out the website...qualityknifesharpeners.com that is the principle company that makes mccoy pocketknives. They make mostly abrasives and stones but also a line of knives. The f & f arent the best so im pretty sure they are made there. I will be in hot springs i may and ill see if i can go to the factory.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

philco wrote:Not to disrupt the Col. Coon discussion, but looking at the photo of the current lineup on the link posted by MrBlister, it strikes me that many of the knives shown look very much like Bear and Sons products.

Phil
That is exactly what I thought when I was looking at their current line of knives !

Bob
keithw

Post by keithw »

Many of these look like Bear & Son, and I think the Trapper II with the brown bone handles is a Utica. ::shrug::
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

I think your right Phil. While looking at some of the knives on the un-official Col. Coon website, I noticed some of the knives looked to be Queen Cutlery made (of coarse it mentions that on the site) but also Utica, Bear & Son, Schrade USA, and Camillus Cutleries. The Road Dog lockback knife frame looks just like the Camillus lockback frame knife except it has a different shaped blade and much better stag handles. Bob, according to the website Mr. Harris states the 3 blade stockman like yours was made around 1980. ::shrug:: Looks like the Old Cutler brand knives too. But the site also states that Mr. Harris got his blades blanks from many different sources on his early knives. Seems that by reading the un-official Col. Coon website that everyone is somewhere around about half right/half wrong about the Col. Coon knives. Call it a tie then? ::shrug:: ::handshake:: The Col. Coon knives are some nice looking quality made knives no matter what parts were used from what company and what part was hand made by Mr. Harris. I'd put anyone of them in my knife roll and be proud to have it.

Aimus
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have a McCoy large stockman still in the tube, unused, with paperwork. Bought it about 20 years ago for $20 at some tourist place in Eureka Springs, AR. Never have used it but has good snap and looks like decent quality. Certainly worth what I paid for it.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”