Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
trutemper

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by trutemper »

Thanks Scott, glad you enjoyed it. Been busy as heck for a while(and just getting over a flu bug :( ) and thought I`d check back in and see what was going on and show a couple more oldies that I got pictures of. 1st is an old Joseph Rodgers-Cutlers to His Majesty(No.6 Norfolk Street Sheffield) and the second is an old James Barber ERA. All of the blades in both knives are tightfitting as heck and have incredible snap both ways. I`d really like anyone to chime in about any history or info on them since I can`t find much in my book. The Rodgers is bone handled and 3.5 inches long closed and the ERA is also 3.5 inches long closed and looks like maybe a horn(not sure) front handle and the backside handle is very old steel with J. Thompson stamped onto it.....think maybe it was replaced many years ago since the pins still have the little dent in from re pinning...but I suppose maybe someone just tightened the pins down?....wish I had more history.

Bob
Attachments
3-11-12(3) 020.jpg
3-11-12(3) 019.jpg
3-11-12(3) 022.jpg
3-11-12(3) 021.jpg
3-11-12(3) 023.jpg
3-11-12(3) 028.jpg
3-11-12(3) 033.jpg
3-11-12(3) 036.jpg
3-11-12(3) 027.jpg
era1.jpg
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Here is another oldie....probably not so rare except that is has the most stout and heavy duty master blade I`ve ever seen in an old military knife. Nice bone with just :"Made in USA" stamp. 3 and 5/8ths closed Made by Camillus? Any info is most welcome. Thanks,

Bob
Attachments
usa1.jpg
usa2.jpg
usa6.jpg
usa8.jpg
usa7.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Got this one yesterday.At first I thought it might be a Novelty Cutlery Co knife as I remember seeing this pattern in an old(1978)issue of Knife world advertising these(with decorative cel scales)for $9.95 each.
Eng the tang I see what appears to be "Standard Knife Co".Upon researching this name I find that this was the forerunner of Case knives.There were two stampings:an early(1901-1903)stamping from Little Valley and a later(1920-1923)from Bradford.
I have a PM into Steve Pfeiffer concerning this and hopefully he will be able to shed some light on it.
Attachments
StandardKnifeCo1.jpg
StandardKnifeCo2.jpg
StandardKnifeCo3.jpg
StandardKnifeCo4.jpg
StandardKnifeCo5.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Ya dont see these Standard Knife Company knives everyday....Very nice find!!!!

Bob
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Here is a Union Knife Works, NYC knife. It is a little rough, but I think the blade configuration is cool. I know my scans don't show it, but the screw driver blade is beveled for wire stripping.
Attachments
Union Knife Works, NYC2.jpg
Union Knife Works, NYC.jpg
Union Knife Works, NYC1.jpg
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Beautiful old tear drop knifegirl! I think maybe thats the first Union teardrop Ive seen ...thanks for showing!Love those smooth pocket worn bone handles and the swedge on that master blade!!

Bob
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I bought this one today, a 3-1/2" teardrop jack knife with nice stag handles. I don't have any idea how old it is; it has nice snap with a half-stop main blade and a full stop pen blade (which appear to be fairly full). I cleaned it up, oiled the hinges, and sharpened it on a washita stone - like a razor now - very easy steel to work with.
Tang is stamped:
BELKNAP
HDWE. & MFG.
CO.
Attachments
DSC03918opt.jpg
DSC03938opt.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

My wife & I went to the flea market a couple weeks ago.
I picked up a couple old and unusual tang stamps.

The first is a Water-Ville.
Goins dates this stamp 1890-1913.
A nice rope knife but badly sharpened. It needs a good tune up to get it to walk & talk properly.
WATER-VILLE a.jpg

The other is stamped J Askham Sheffield.
LG4 dates it as 1856-1920s. The J stood for John.
J Askham a.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Honored to be able to contribute to this thread.

I have a John S. Holler & Co Celebrated Cutlery MOP knife c1867-1906.

It's sooooooooooo cool to have a 100+ year old knife in my posession!
Attachments
lot5.18.12 036.JPG
lot5.18.12 037.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

picked up this old Ulster Knife CO. saddlehorn with horn handles. its Rare to me . have not seen many myself
Attachments
knives 001.JPG
knives 002.JPG
Never Argue With a idiot
They'll bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
PAUL
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Now that is fantastic Paul, I love the horn handles! thats a fine Ulster ::nod::
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

Beechtree wrote:Now that is fantastic Paul, I love the horn handles! thats a fine Ulster ::nod::
Beechtree, thanks...............
Never Argue With a idiot
They'll bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
PAUL
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hello Ladies and Gents!

Very awesome knives!!!! I like the thread subject. Nice that we can share our treasures with each other.

Even more awesome are the stories of how the knives were acquired/passed down. This is something dear to my heart as the collection I have was passed down by my Father to me this year when he died. Interestingly, my Dad was an awesome record keeper. Every knife cataloged on year, model and amount paid. Some were marked as to model number so I could cross reference and match a knife to the list. Some were not and that is where my new friends at AAPK have helped out. I thank you all for that!

He also had a wish list of entries in his knife inventory sheets that had some pretty RARE Case knives in it, as I am strickly a Case collector for now, as he was. Most average about 2 to 3 thousand each, so we will see how that goes. What can I say, the man had good but expensive taste when it came to collecting knives. We both loved the 11-1/2 frame and especially the "true Cheetah" versions. He had an scarce (only 1700 made and only made for 1 year in 1970's) 1971 10 dot Cheetah 5111-1/2L . In his memory and as a tribute, I recently added to the collection the RARE 1970 10 dot Cheetah 5111-1/2L Prototype (only 24 made) I picked up from Tony Foster . I also picked up a 1971 10 dot Cheetah 5111-1/2L SSP from Knifeaholic, exact/same knife pictured in his book. Dad would have been very happy with my acquisitions to the collection.

My pride and joy of my collection is a CASE TESTED 5394LP "Gunboat" (besides the Cheetahs), that my Dad bought from Jim Sargent, years ago. Same/exact knife pictured in Jim's 7th edition, page 293. kind of cool in my book and a sweet knife. Discontinued early in the TESTED era around WW2.

Anyway, here are pics of both even though posted in another forum on AAPK. Seems relevant to the topic, replies/posts, stories and thread. Bottom of pics have description. Again, great group of people here on AAPK as it is obvious by this post. Glad to be a part of it.
Regards, Jerry
Tested 5394LP Gunboat back blades open.jpg
5394LP Gunboat front blades open.jpg
5394LP Gunboat front blades closed.jpg
Cheetah 5111 half 10 dot prototype_ etch and shield side.jpg
Cheetah 5111 half 10 dot prototype_ pile side.jpg
9 dot and 10 dot Cheetahs_shield side_blades extended.jpg
Attachments
9 dot and 10 dot Cheetahs_pile side_blades extended.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

WOW zp4ja-Jerry ::groove::
Thanks for posting such rare and beautiful knives. I can only imagine what your wish list has on it.
Thanks Again,
wazu013
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks much Mike!

I love the ones you have too!!!

Here is just a few on the "wish list". Only one blade knives and not even all the one blades patterns wanted. Not even the 2 and 3 blade wish listers.

TESTED 61213
TESTED 61213-1/2 Switchblade
TESTED 61214-1/2 Switchblade
TESTED 61215-1/2 Switchblade
TESTED Zipper Switchblade 61050L (lists in 2008 for $7500)
etc, etc.

Not to mention the TESTED 5171L, TESTED 6171L, 551, 651, etc, etc. Again, just some of the CASE single blade knives on the list. Thankfully, no winterbottom bone 6488s on the list but I would love to have one. Unfortunately, I am not rich. I will do the best I can though on getting these knives. I guess part of the hunt on something like this also includes the ability to pay for it (find a way) once you locate one.

Take care Mike.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

CASE TESTED RM 1051 "Fishtail". Love to see some others if anyone has any.

Regards, Jerry
TESTED RM1051_blade fully extended.jpg
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Just picked this one up. Kind of makes you cry doesn't it. This one has never been cleaned so it proves that not all King Of The Woods came out with an etch, also Catt. made one with a small compass and a shield.
Attachments
MVC-073S.JPG
MVC-073S.JPG (32.99 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
MVC-074S.JPG
MVC-074S.JPG (33.94 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
MVC-075S.JPG
MVC-075S.JPG (32.39 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

WOW Bert, THAT is a nice one!! ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

That is a nice one! I wondered about etches on those. You have been showing some dandy new pick ups lately!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice knife JACKNIFEBEN!!!!

I love the swing guard and handles and bolsters and...

Very nice knife. Jerry
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Been workin my butt off latley and havent had time to visit AAKP much in the last couple months but this is the first thread I`m checking and I`m just amazed at the great knives being shown, thanks for all of the great photos and for sharing.....I`m especially taken by thet old Belknap Hdwe knife shown a page or so back(makes me wonder when it was made and if it was the old India Steel Stamp)....wow...amazing!

Bob
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Dunno how rare it is but I really like the knife and hope maybe Dale might want to fix the bolster on the one side. Carrying it at the moment. "Elk" on one side of the master and "Premier Cutlery Germany" on the other. Kinda pretty eh?

Bob
Attachments
el1.jpg
el2.jpg
el3.jpg
el8.jpg
el5.jpg
el10.jpg
Cooter Brown

Post by Cooter Brown »

Posted this in the General section with a small report on my short but fruitful excursion to the Blade show, but I figure it fits in here as well. Probably not super rare but fairly old and in great condition.

I found this PAL jack knife at the show, excellent walk and talk, strong springs, halfstops, perfectly centered blades with no play, does not look like it's been sharpened or even cleaned, believe it or not. Nice bone. I have no idea how a working knife like this can be this old and in this condition, but I'm glad I found it. A very nice old American knife. Goes with the PAL I have that my father was issued on New Guinea in WWII. By a long shot the nicest old pocket knife I have.

knfmn

Post by knfmn »

Here is one of my favorites Case Tested 61098 greenbone.
Attachments
casetestedpick.JPG
casetestedgreenbone.JPG
The Golden Rule, Live It.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

How bout old
discontunued pattern??
I luv this ole 6213
Attachments
6213TESTED 085.JPG